9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had brake Issues??? I've had issues with 3 of 4 calipers before 100000 km ... new to this thread any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replaced rotors and pads 2 weeks ago on rear after driver side seized. Freed up the caliper , sliders , cleaned everything up but today I got home and passengers side was smoking. Odd thing is that I spun the piston in fairly easy and the sliders were free still. I have had issues with brakes on this car since new. If anyone can help me with this i can explain more problems I have had with them

·
Registered
391 Posts
What climate do you live in? I live in Michigan where it's snowy and therefore a lot of salt will get up into your underbody and brakes. My factory rear pads were changed somewhere around 50k miles, and I didn't do them right. I didn't sand away the rust beneath the brake hardware/clips, and the pads were just in there too tight, binding and hitting the rotors at an angle. That ruined my rear rotors by 70k (they might've been needing replacement around then anyway). I've since done them again, the proper way, with new OEM pads and rotors. I cleaned/lubed my front brakes as well, just for preventative maintenance. You also have to be careful of the nub/tab on the inner-pads, because that nub is supposed to go into the X of the piston face. One other thing I forgot to mention, is that the top/bottom sliders are not the same, so there's a right and wrong way to put those back in, although I don't know how big of a difference it makes.
So are you saying your actual caliper piston was seized? Did you inspect the boot while you were in there? All of my pistons were in good shape, even considering how corroded everything else was. I found that it was helpful to have an IR temperature gun, just to see what temps my rotors were putting out after a drive. It helped me diagnose the binding pads. It sounds like your passenger side might be dragging, but honestly I would clean/lube per this video, to make sure everything fits right and moves smoothly:
It's 37 minutes long, but full of great info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts