9th Gen Civic Forum banner

2014- CVT Trans comments/problems

157K views 345 replies 92 participants last post by  Nugg666 
#1 ·
Im having some buyers remorse worries!

I wouldn't really call it buyers remorse, but more like buyers worry remorse.

Essentially I own a 2014 Civic Sedan, however this is the first model year of the Civic that has a CVT. And i've heard some horror stories. I have owned the car for 7 days....but it's honestly starting to worry me for in the future, since CVT technology isn't exactly "modern" i suppose. Plus I know Nissan had a TON of problems with it.

Im wondering if i've made a mistake? The CVT FEELS nice...but man I dunno. Anyone know anything about the Honda CVTs?

#2 ·
It's new to the Civic, so no one will really able to help you, only time will tell but you gotta realize that it's Honda, very reliable and you have warranty for a reason, if you're not feeling any issues and nothings happening then there really isn't a point to worrying about it... AT ALL!!!! :) Enjoy the new car, post up pics, and have fun with it.

#5 ·
They are new and have yet to be proven long term. My brother has a 2013 Accord with the CVT, which I'm not sure if it's the same used in the Civic, and he's had zero issues so far. He has owned the car for about a year now.

Honestly, I would say don't worry about it too much. Realize you are driving a Honda. They are made to last. And if you still can't sleep at night over it then just buy an extended powertrain warranty when the factory warranty is over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
If anyone can make a trouble free car with a new (for them) technology, Honda can.

#8 ·
Just trade it in for a stick shift problem solved lol j/k.

Seriously I wouldn't lose sleep over it, Honda's are generally very reliable. My recommendation is just to enjoy the new car and new car smell and if something unforeseen does happen than live and learn.;)

#14 ·
, seems like that'd be insanely risky.
Risky but also expensive. Recalls and repairs are expensive so it is in there best interest to put forward a reliable product.

#12 ·
I would have the same worries but Honda has the same worries.Just continue to enjoy your car and let Honda sweat the potential problems.

Reactions: scottyrocks
#13 ·
Post you comments,problems and help-full information thread all about the Civic CVT.

#15 ·
This was a concern of mine. When I purchased my 2013 EX last September, I was first thinking about holding off for the 2014. But once I had confirmation that Honda was
going with the CVT for 2014, I quickly decided to go with the 2013, the LAST year for standard 5 speed automatic.

I just cant get pass that whining, droning sound that the CVT makes...I love to feel the smooth shift points of the Honda 5 speed automatic!

#16 ·
The CVT in the 2014 Civic is a second generation Honda CVT. It's been being tested for over two years. The same design was put into the 2013 Accord and had one issue, which was corrected within two months. The Accord CVT would sometimes "stutter" on low speed launch. They fixed it with new shift solenoids and a firmware change. Yeah, I own a '13 Civic, but the CVT in a '14 wouldn''t have stopped me from buying one.

#17 ·
Here is another way of looking at it.

If there is one car around here that os more popular than Honda Civics and Accords put together, it is Nissan's Altima, which has had CVT since 2007. There are tons of them around here.

I'm thinking that if the CVT was that bad, then there wouldn't be so many of these cars around, as word would spread.

But then again, with the ridiculous lease deals Nissan offers, many people would jump at it, anyway, and most people don't do any research, as well.

Oh well, so much for that theory. ;)

#18 ·
But then again with the ridiculous lease deals Nissan offers, many people would jump at it, anyway, and most people don't do any research, as well.

Oh well, so much for that theory. ;)
Yeah money talks.......where have I heard that before.:2cents:

#19 ·
Scotty,

Nissan has had lots of issues with their CVT tranny. Take for example the Nissan store I work for, averaged size... and yet, factory has to give us a refund for about 10-15 new CVTs every month; sometimes even more.

Now, with this I don't mean to scare the OP. We all know Honda's quality is higher. Nevertheless, the possibility of running into an issue is still there(whether big or small) especially this being the first year on a Civic. If you're so scared as to not even wanting to rev the car, then just do what I told you before: buy an extended powertrain warranty for however long you consider necessary or you believe you'll be keeping the vehicle after the factory warranty is over.

#22 ·
Scotty,

Nissan has had lots of issues with their CVT tranny. Take for example the Nissan store I work for, averaged size... and yet, factory has to give us a refund for about 10-15 new CVTs every month; sometimes even more.

Now, with this I don't mean to scare the OP. We all know Honda's quality is higher. Nevertheless, the possibility of running into an issue is still there(whether big or small) especially this being the first year on a Civic. If you're so scared as to not even wanting to rev the car, then just do what I told you before: buy an extended powertrain warranty for however long you consider necessary or you believe you'll be keeping the vehicle after the factory warranty is over.

Hope OP does not read this lol.

#20 ·
OP Im gonna merge your thread with a CVT only thread I have started in the Mechanical-drive train section

#21 ·
My '14 has the CVT. Not worried about it at all. The car is so much quieter and smoother than my '06. Lovin' it!

#31 ·
well my 2012 has 20500 miles on it with the auto 6-speed and I feel like that trans wont make it to 50k miles.
Why, what is your specific issue(s) with the "6 speed" transaxle? Maybe it's that extra speed that's the problem?:giggle:

#29 ·
6-speed auto?

#30 ·
Anyone know anything about the Honda CVTs?
Yes, but not with the current generation of Honda CVT.
The early CVTs had many problems that were addressed with Service Bulletin directed repairs or by installing a reman (new) CV transmission.

My advice: If you like the way CVT operates, then don't sweat it.
There is a generous warranty on the power train, look at your warranty manual for time and mileage.
Honda has a re-manufacturing operation for a reason... dealers have experienced great difficulty repairing CVTs.
And most that fail are catastrophic and cannot be repaired.

The time to worry is after the power train warranty has expired.
That being said, you can always buy a service contract (think health care for your car) when the car gets closer the standard warranty expiration date or mileage.

CVT; not a fan.

#33 · (Edited)
NHTSA shows 13 CVT related complaints for 2009 - 2013 for Hondas of any models. I searched 2008 - 2014. I'd say that's a pretty small number given the number of CVT cars they pumped out in those years.

#34 ·
Huge fan of the CVT in Hondas. Test drove the 2013 EX and then the 2014 and it was a no brainer for me. And if putting 98,000 trouble free miles on one in 3 years isn't a good enough test then I don't know what is!

#35 ·
I'm already starting to freak a bit about the lack of a 5AT. Based on what you wrote, dthom, I may just go test drive a '14 CVT. If it's okay I won't have to worry about what I'm gonna do come next year when my lease is up.

#38 · (Edited)
I like your post, Jamis, but to me, paddle shifters, an 'artificial MT,' combined with a CVT, an artificial 'geared' transmission, seems wrong. If I'm gonna shift, it's gotta be a stick shift and a clutch. Otherwise, a good old fashioned AT.

#39 ·
I had the CVT in my 2012 Honda CR-Z - 20,000 miles an zero issues - Many people on the CR-Z forum hit 75-100k with no issues -

I now have it in my 2014 Civic EX-L Sedan, and have no worries - It is worlds better then the one in the CR-Z - Acts and "shifts" much like a regular transmission -

You also need to remember that Honda has had a CVT for Many years now, in many countries including the USA - It is really nothing new for Honda -

I really would not worry about it - Just enjoy your new car !!!
Dan

#42 ·
Acts and "shifts" much like a regular transmission -
Could you explain this more thoroughly, please?

I've driven Nissan CVTs and they sounded like the trans keeps the engine in a narrow range. The engine sounds like it stays in a very narrow power band. Maybe good for efficiency, but boring as hell.

How does it "shift" 'much like a regular transmission?'