9th Gen Civic Forum banner

281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This transmission is the worst! Already had a recall and its still no good! Car stalls or studders in traffic like conditions on hills and flat surfaces. Thank goodness its a lease, two more years and its out of my life unless the lemon law takes it first!

·
Registered
38 Posts
okay...I posted this in another topic but I figured I would ask here since I was wondering if it was related to the cvt....

when accelerating from a stop to a cruise in ...I dunno..let's say a parking lot, and going less than 5 mph or so you can hear a noise that almost sounds like a ticking or knocking noise (but not like an engine knock). I think it may be the cvt noise as it goes faster with rpm increase and quickly drowns out above 5 mph. I also slightly hear it at idle while in drive or reverse. Anyone notice this noise in their car? Or have any ideas?
Above is the quote from I originally started hearing a ticking/knocking sound at lower speeds while in drive and reverse which all started about 2,000 miles on the car. I reported it and later the noise got worse so I took it in to the dealership. They said I had a louder than usual CVT, which was normal and basically told me to drive it. Later on at 12,000 miles the noise had grown louder and i was starting to experience some slight vibrations at idle. So i go Honda corporate involved who had me take it back in. I just received notice today that after almost 2 weeks (3 weeks total of shop time) the source of the problem has been identified. The vibrations were coming from a loose motor mount and the increasingly loud noise was coming from the internals of the oil pump...

I am a bit concerned having driven the car for 10,000 miles with oil pump problems over a period of more than 6 months. But, i do have a lifetime power train warranty provided by the dealer.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,371 Posts
Above is the quote from I originally started hearing a ticking/knocking sound at lower speeds while in drive and reverse which all started about 2,000 miles on the car. I reported it and later the noise got worse so I took it in to the dealership. They said I had a louder than usual CVT, which was normal and basically told me to drive it. Later on at 12,000 miles the noise had grown louder and i was starting to experience some slight vibrations at idle. So i go Honda corporate involved who had me take it back in. I just received notice today that after almost 2 weeks (3 weeks total of shop time) the source of the problem has been identified. The vibrations were coming from a loose motor mount and the increasingly loud noise was coming from the internals of the oil pump...

I am a bit concerned having driven the car for 10,000 miles with oil pump problems over a period of more than 6 months. But, i do have a lifetime power train warranty provided by the dealer.
Okay so what is Honda/dealership going to do about it?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,383 Posts
Okay so what is Honda/dealership going to do about it?
Yes, are we to assume that Honda will tighten or replace-if-needed the motor mount, and replace the oil pump?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Above is the quote from I originally started hearing a ticking/knocking sound at lower speeds while in drive and reverse which all started about 2,000 miles on the car. I reported it and later the noise got worse so I took it in to the dealership. They said I had a louder than usual CVT, which was normal and basically told me to drive it. Later on at 12,000 miles the noise had grown louder and i was starting to experience some slight vibrations at idle. So i go Honda corporate involved who had me take it back in. I just received notice today that after almost 2 weeks (3 weeks total of shop time) the source of the problem has been identified.

The vibrations were coming from a loose motor mount and the increasingly loud noise was coming from the internals of the oil pump..
This stinks of fish to me...
I can believe vibration from a "loose" motor mount; how did it loosen?

Honda's assembly processes and Q/C would make under torquing said "loose" motor mount fastener, nearly impossible.

Far as the oil pump; I find it difficult to believe that a failing oil pump drove 12k only making noise... just say'n.
Did you see the noisy oil pump?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So this is a pretty long thread, so forgive me for not reading it in it's entirety. Is anyone else having random rough shift issues? For instance, I'll let off the gas and then press the pedal again and sometimes it shifts rough. Or just letting off the gas it will shift roughly. I don't remember it doing this before. I have 9,675 miles on it now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So this is a pretty long thread, so forgive me for not reading it in it's entirety. Is anyone else having random rough shift issues? For instance, I'll let off the gas and then press the pedal again and sometimes it shifts rough. Or just letting off the gas it will shift roughly. I don't remember it doing this before. I have 9,675 miles on it now.

My Fiance's car (15 EX CVT, 8660 miles) does this frequently and it bothers me... Sometimes it'll buck too... Also, when making a slow right turn lets say, the transmission surges a few times before finally getting up in rpms to accelerate... Annoying, and I don't know what to really do about it... Maybe Honda will release a software update? Doesn't seem like its a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My Fiance's car (15 EX CVT, 8660 miles) does this frequently and it bothers me... Sometimes it'll buck too... Also, when making a slow right turn lets say, the transmission surges a few times before finally getting up in rpms to accelerate... Annoying, and I don't know what to really do about it... Maybe Honda will release a software update? Doesn't seem like its a mechanical issue.
Yea, I think all it needs is a software update. I'm up to 11,460 now and haven't really noticed too much. Oh well, I still love my car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
9 months later, and 4000 miles since I bought it with 25 miles on it. I can say now I would prefer a normal geared transmission. Not liking the CVT much. At the end of my lease in 2018 I will definitely be swapping out for a CR-V with the 5 speed auto. Or something without a CVT.

It "shifts" up and down at the wrong time, lags, on the highway it's just plain annoying. I just don't care for it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
9 months later, and 4000 miles since I bought it with 25 miles on it. I can say now I would prefer a normal geared transmission. Not liking the CVT much. At the end of my lease in 2018 I will definitely be swapping out for a CR-V with the 5 speed auto. Or something without a CVT.

It "shifts" up and down at the wrong time, lags, on the highway it's just plain annoying. I just don't care for it.
All new CR-Vs feature CVT too... sorry.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I like the Automatic better. I figured out how to make the car move better with the CVT but having the same symptoms you guys are having with stuttering. It usually happens when the outside conditions have changed from the last time driving it. I shift into the S mode most of the time until I get up to hwy speed and then shift it into drive. Speed does not matter and sometimes use the S mode to pass and slow down. MPG is not as good as the automatic and do not see why they went back to it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I just watched this video on a thread on 9th Civic. It's pretty interesting and claims that the CVT is cheap to repair.
https://youtu.be/uCEvBGT8twM
The video is interesting far as a basic concept of CVT operation goes.
And, yes if the vehicle is a snow machine or the original Honda Odyssey (dune buggy) would be easy and cheap to repair.
Current Honda CVT, not so much.

Honda (automobile) CVT is anything but easy or cheap to repair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got a 2015 Civic LX with the CVT and about 54000 miles. I love the way it drives, but I have noticed one kind of strange thing. At low speeds, such as in a parking lot, the car doesn't drive very smoothly. I assume that, like a conventional auto transmission, there is a lock-up torque converter on the CVT, so it is as if the lock-up is staying on even at low speeds, so that if I take my foot off the gas, the car slows quickly, and then if I lightly tap the gas, it sort of bucks or jerks slightly. It would be similar as if it were a manual transmission that is in first gear, with the driver simply braking and accelerating at low speeds without using the clutch to smooth things out. I have never had it buck severely or stall, however.

I turned off the ECO mode, and that does seem to help, which may make sense, as maybe the idea is that keeping the engine directly driving the transmission and wheels as much as possible saves gas?

Any thoughts on this?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,383 Posts
I've had a few Hondas with econ, 5ATs, 5MT, CVTs - including some Accords. I have tried the cars with econ on, but always turn it off. Econ eliminates whatever fun that has been designed into these cars. And my fuel mileage doesn't seem to be affected to any appreciable degree.

I personally think it's either a marketing ploy, or a system that allows the corporate average mpg ratings to be competitive, as there are huge amounts of people out there who will base their car buying decision on the 'fact' that car A gets 38 mpg, and car B gets 39 mpg so let's buy car B.

I find econ pointless.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, but not with the current generation of Honda CVT.
The early CVTs had many problems that were addressed with Service Bulletin directed repairs or by installing a reman (new) CV transmission.

My advice: If you like the way CVT operates, then don't sweat it.
There is a generous warranty on the power train, look at your warranty manual for time and mileage.
Honda has a re-manufacturing operation for a reason... dealers have experienced great difficulty repairing CVTs.
And most that fail are catastrophic and cannot be repaired.

The time to worry is after the power train warranty has expired.
That being said, you can always buy a service contract (think health care for your car) when the car gets closer the standard warranty expiration date or mileage.

CVT; not a fan.
Thought the extended service contract/extended warranties had to be purchased either AT the time of sale or within 30 days.

281 - 300 of 322 Posts