9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
My '14 has the CVT. Not worried about it at all. The car is so much quieter and smoother than my '06. Lovin' it!

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Scotty,

Nissan has had lots of issues with their CVT tranny. Take for example the Nissan store I work for, averaged size... and yet, factory has to give us a refund for about 10-15 new CVTs every month; sometimes even more.

Now, with this I don't mean to scare the OP. We all know Honda's quality is higher. Nevertheless, the possibility of running into an issue is still there(whether big or small) especially this being the first year on a Civic. If you're so scared as to not even wanting to rev the car, then just do what I told you before: buy an extended powertrain warranty for however long you consider necessary or you believe you'll be keeping the vehicle after the factory warranty is over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hope OP does not read this lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hope OP does not read this lol.
I did, however I do know that the Nissan CVT has changed as is better than the old Murano one for instance. I also have a 100k PT warranty, but regardless I want to be able to Push my car and not be scared driving it. But...then again I haven't really heard of any CVT issues with the Honda ones. I think Nissan just kinda scared everyone lol.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
Risky but also expensive. Recalls and repairs are expensive so it is in there best interest to put forward a reliable product.
You would think that more manufacturers would focus on this. =o\

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
Scotty,

Nissan has had lots of issues with their CVT tranny. Take for example the Nissan store I work for, averaged size... and yet, factory has to give us a refund for about 10-15 new CVTs every month; sometimes even more.
Okay, to combine what Kev and I said, 'Money talks, research walks.' hahahaha

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You would think that more manufacturers would focus on this. =o\
Yeah, I mean I feel like Honda would be smart. the Honda civic is probably one of the top selling cars in it's class, and it and the accord are KNOWN for it's reliability. I mean that's why people buy a Honda. So putting something unreliable in it....would be pretty stupid I would think.

I mean Toyota suffered some financial backlash from that whole brake thing. I doubt they'll ever make that mistake again. Recalls are insanely expensive and also damages public perception. I mean....I was weary to buy a toyota after that happened.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Yeah, I mean I feel like Honda would be smart. the Honda civic is probably one of the top selling cars in it's class, and it and the accord are KNOWN for it's reliability. I mean that's why people buy a Honda. So putting something unreliable in it....would be pretty stupid I would think.
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Honda has probably tested the shite out of the CVT pushing it hard countless times so you pushing it once or twice a day shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
well my 2012 has 20500 miles on it with the auto 6-speed and I feel like that trans wont make it to 50k miles. I should hope the cvt is better. I would trade up just to be able to ditch the clunky auto 5-speed. Then again if I trade up it wont be a honda. Will look at acura

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
6-speed auto?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Anyone know anything about the Honda CVTs?
Yes, but not with the current generation of Honda CVT.
The early CVTs had many problems that were addressed with Service Bulletin directed repairs or by installing a reman (new) CV transmission.

My advice: If you like the way CVT operates, then don't sweat it.
There is a generous warranty on the power train, look at your warranty manual for time and mileage.
Honda has a re-manufacturing operation for a reason... dealers have experienced great difficulty repairing CVTs.
And most that fail are catastrophic and cannot be repaired.

The time to worry is after the power train warranty has expired.
That being said, you can always buy a service contract (think health care for your car) when the car gets closer the standard warranty expiration date or mileage.

CVT; not a fan.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well my 2012 has 20500 miles on it with the auto 6-speed and I feel like that trans wont make it to 50k miles.
Why, what is your specific issue(s) with the "6 speed" transaxle? Maybe it's that extra speed that's the problem?:giggle:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes, but not with the current generation of Honda CVT.
The early CVTs had many problems that were addressed with Service Bulletin directed repairs or by installing a reman (new) CV transmission.

My advice: If you like the way CVT operates, then don't sweat it.
There is a generous warranty on the power train, look at your warranty manual for time and mileage.
Honda has a re-manufacturing operation for a reason... dealers have experienced great difficulty repairing CVTs.
And most that fail are catastrophic and cannot be repaired.

The time to worry is after the power train warranty has expired.
That being said, you can always buy a service contract (think health care for your car) when the car gets closer the standard warranty expiration date or mileage.

CVT; not a fan.
What were the earlier issues? and were there like a "LOT" of them (Aka like Nissan had) I did some google searching and couldn't find a "ton". Besides the Accord issue they fixed.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
NHTSA shows 13 CVT related complaints for 2009 - 2013 for Hondas of any models. I searched 2008 - 2014. I'd say that's a pretty small number given the number of CVT cars they pumped out in those years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Huge fan of the CVT in Hondas. Test drove the 2013 EX and then the 2014 and it was a no brainer for me. And if putting 98,000 trouble free miles on one in 3 years isn't a good enough test then I don't know what is!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
I'm already starting to freak a bit about the lack of a 5AT. Based on what you wrote, dthom, I may just go test drive a '14 CVT. If it's okay I won't have to worry about what I'm gonna do come next year when my lease is up.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm already starting to freak a bit about the lack of a 5AT. Based on what you wrote, dthom, I may just go test drive a '14 CVT. If it's okay I won't have to worry about what I'm gonna do come next year when my lease is up.
If you get an EX coupe, you can get the paddle shifters for when you want to feel "gearing".

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
I like your post, Jamis, but to me, paddle shifters, an 'artificial MT,' combined with a CVT, an artificial 'geared' transmission, seems wrong. If I'm gonna shift, it's gotta be a stick shift and a clutch. Otherwise, a good old fashioned AT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the CVT in my 2012 Honda CR-Z - 20,000 miles an zero issues - Many people on the CR-Z forum hit 75-100k with no issues -

I now have it in my 2014 Civic EX-L Sedan, and have no worries - It is worlds better then the one in the CR-Z - Acts and "shifts" much like a regular transmission -

You also need to remember that Honda has had a CVT for Many years now, in many countries including the USA - It is really nothing new for Honda -

I really would not worry about it - Just enjoy your new car !!!
Dan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
NHTSA shows 13 CVT related complaints for 2009 - 2013 for Hondas of any models. I searched 2008 - 2014. I'd say that's a pretty small number given the number of CVT cars they pumped out in those years.
I bet a large percentage were the shudder (or jump forward) with the Honda's. Mind posting the Link? I can't really figure out the website.

21 - 40 of 312 Posts