9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes, but not with the current generation of Honda CVT.
The early CVTs had many problems that were addressed with Service Bulletin directed repairs or by installing a reman (new) CV transmission.

My advice: If you like the way CVT operates, then don't sweat it.
There is a generous warranty on the power train, look at your warranty manual for time and mileage.
Honda has a re-manufacturing operation for a reason... dealers have experienced great difficulty repairing CVTs.
And most that fail are catastrophic and cannot be repaired.

The time to worry is after the power train warranty has expired.
That being said, you can always buy a service contract (think health care for your car) when the car gets closer the standard warranty expiration date or mileage.

CVT; not a fan.
Also when you say early? do you mean the early 90's ones?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
Acts and "shifts" much like a regular transmission -
Could you explain this more thoroughly, please?

I've driven Nissan CVTs and they sounded like the trans keeps the engine in a narrow range. The engine sounds like it stays in a very narrow power band. Maybe good for efficiency, but boring as hell.

How does it "shift" 'much like a regular transmission?'

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, I took a look. Out of the 17 (I searched from 2006). Only 4-5 were actual Tranny failures. a few just had the word "CVT" listed in them (as in this is the car with the "CVT") and a vast majority were (Shudder/shake when cold) Which the Accord issue was fixed.

Compared to the 222 Nissan complaints lol.

So i'd say pretty good! Def. makes me feel better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm already starting to freak a bit about the lack of a 5AT. Based on what you wrote, dthom, I may just go test drive a '14 CVT. If it's okay I won't have to worry about what I'm gonna do come next year when my lease is up.
When your lease is up, just get an Si! Then there will be no CVT worries. Done and done.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
Well, I have another issue that is my own, and that is my wife feels she needs to be able to drive my car, so it has to be an automatic.

Now, before anyone starts in with any, 'who is the boss' type of comments, this is what it is, and it is way more important for her to be happy and comfortable than it is for me to have an MT. That's just what it is.

So, at the very least (or most), I will be driving an AT, unless of course, I win the lottery. And if I'm gonna be in an AT, it needs to be one with gears, not some electric motor-feel thing.

Caveat: I haven't driven a 2014 Honda Civic CVT, so who knows, it may be fine. It's just that past experience with CVTs is telling me that's not so.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
What were the earlier issues? and were there like a "LOT" of them (Aka like Nissan had) I did some google searching and couldn't find a "ton". Besides the Accord issue they fixed.
Mostly for drive belt slippage and start clutch problems, slipping, judder/shudder, etc.
Some drive belt failures require replacement of the CVT complete. Several grand if not under warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally Posted by Danorob View Post
Acts and "shifts" much like a regular transmission -

Could you explain this more thoroughly, please?

I've driven Nissan CVTs and they sounded like the trans keeps the engine in a narrow range. The engine sounds like it stays in a very narrow power band. Maybe good for efficiency, but boring as hell.

How does it "shift" 'much like a regular transmission?'
MY 2012 CR-Z had paddle shifters to let you "shift" the CVT trans up and down 7-gears - The Shift points were electronic and created by the computer varying the pulley diameters - When you were in Manual paddle mode, you would floor the car, and hit the up or down paddles as you pleased… The computer made if shift as if it were a standard fixed speed automatic transmission being shifted manually...

My 2014 Civic EX-L with the Earth Dreams CVT Automatic seems much the same as my Nieces 2013 Civic EX-L 5-speed Auto -

When you step on the gas, the car picks up speed, and the tach rises, and then at a certain speed it "shifts" and the tach drops, then climbs again, just as if were a regular automatic transmission - If I am cruising on the highway and want to pass someone, I step on the gas, the tach jumps at couple thousand rpms, and when you let up on the gas it will drop back down to 1500-2000 rpm, just like a normal car…

During my test drive in December, I thought they had bought a 2013 for the test drive since the car shifted like a regular trans, and I was fully expecting it to behave like the CVT in my CR-Z was… I think the term everyone uses for the old style CVT is "motor boating" since it can sound like the engine on a motor boat…

My Cousin purchased a 2014 Honda accord, and the CVT in the 4-cylinder is just like the one in the 14 civic - It also apears to "shift" even though it is computer controlled.

I guess in the end, the old 2013 5-speed automatic shifted by electronically selecting from different gears in the transmission -
In the 2014 it is electronically changing the pulley ratios to make the shift points - just without using gears -

Does that make Sense?
Dan

PS - I think that you have to drive a 2013 Civic, 2014 Civic, and CR-Z auto to really understand what I am trying to say...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Mostly for drive belt slippage and start clutch problems, slipping, judder/shudder, etc.
Some drive belt failures require replacement of the CVT complete. Several grand if not under warranty.
Seems like replacing a belt shouldn't require a hold replacement of CVT......then again im no mechanic.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
---8<---

Does that make Sense?
Dan

PS - I think that you have to drive a 2013 Civic, 2014 Civic, and CR-Z auto to really understand what I am trying to say...
Yes, thanks for that. It is clearer to me now. I do think I'll need to drive one, though.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Seems like replacing a belt shouldn't require a hold replacement of CVT......then again im no mechanic.
It's not just a "belt". It's a rather complex steel and silicone rubber assemblage locked between two variable diameter, computer controlled pulleys. When in operation, the belt becomes rigid between the pulleys and then flexes to go around the pulleys. Belt to pulley contact is actually steel on steel.

My son is a designer for a Tier 1 automotive supply company and they are working on a CVT for over the road semi tractors and large straight trucks. He tells me the unit requires special jigs and fixtures to assemble/disassemble the transmissions. Can you imagine the challenge of bolting a CVT to a 500 or 600 hp diesel engine that is going to be towing 30 plus tons behind it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It's not just a "belt". It's a rather complex steel and silicone rubber assemblage locked between two variable diameter, computer controlled pulleys. When in operation, the belt becomes rigid between the pulleys and then flexes to go around the pulleys. Belt to pulley contact is actually steel on steel.

My son is a designer for a Tier 1 automotive supply company and they are working on a CVT for over the road semi tractors and large straight trucks. He tells me the unit requires special jigs and fixtures to assemble/disassemble the transmissions. Can you imagine the challenge of bolting a CVT to a 500 or 600 hp diesel engine that is going to be towing 30 plus tons behind it?

I figured it was much more complicated haha. I guess it just surprised me that they aren't able to repair some units.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can imagine truckers saying something like "I don't care how much it's been tested,no Kenworth of mine will ever have a CVT!"

·
Registered
41 Posts
The '14 LX I drove briefly on 2-18 felt much better than the '04 EX (1.7,A4) I had for a year (the only other non-mt Civic I've driven). I don't remember the sensation of it shifting but my attention was kind of divided.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I can imagine truckers saying something like "I don't care how much it's been tested,no Kenworth of mine will ever have a CVT!"
Most new OTR tractors are automatics now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I wonder if any Honda techs could tell whether the CVT in the civic could handle any extra HP added to it (like CAI/etc...). Im very weary about modding this car for that reason alone.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
The more technology evolves, the more I want to stay behind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The more technology evolves, the more I want to stay behind.
You should sell the car and get a horse and an Amish buggy. I heard those are pretty low tech. :signlol:

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
You should sell the car and get a horse and an Amish buggy. I heard those are pretty low tech. :signlol:
I'm gonna come pretty close when I find one of these in good condition.

41 - 60 of 321 Posts