9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Short of a UFC title fight, you would be hard pressed to find a harder-fought match than the compact car segment and Honda just swung another fist by announcing a series of upgrades to the Civic.

It’s been an annual onslaught of upgrades for the Civic since its current generation debuted in 2012. last year, the company announced a refreshed version after only one spin around the sun. Now, the company is bringing even more new equipment to its super-popular small car. For the Civic Coupe and Si Coupe, changes includes exterior styling tweaks first seen during the SEMA Show in Las Vegas earlier this month.

But the chances aren’t limited to two-door models. Toyota just released its new Corolla, which carries over much of the mechanical parts from its previous generation but adds – among other things – a CVT. Guess what sort of transmission Honda is adding to its compact car in the coming model year. Equipped with a CVT, the Civic HF will offer an average 35 mpg or up to 42 on the highway.

Other models will get a 2 mpg bump in the city and improve 1 mpg on the combined cycle, resulting in 30 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 33 mpg combined for the sedans, while coupes with the CVT are now rated at 29 mpg city, 38 mpg highway and 33 mpg combined.

In the range-topping Si model, Honda tweaked the engine slightly to make 205 hp and 174 lb-ft of torque – a paltry increase of four units in either measure. The LX Coupe and Si models also come wit ha revised suspension meant to reduce body roll and enhance steering response.

There’s new fabric upholstering the seats and some of the interior materials are also new for 2014. There’s also an all-new seven-inch touch screen audio display with swipe, pinch and tap controls meant to mimic modern smartphones. A push-button start system and smart entry are also available as options.

Finally, Honda is transplanting it’s no-brainer LaneWatch safety system also found in the Accord. It allows drivers to look directly into the lane to their right through the in-dash display screen.
See more photos of the 2014 Honda Civic at AutoGuide.com

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,344 Posts
It looks a heck of a lot better in that picture.

I'm gonna have to see one in person.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,344 Posts
That looks very nice.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am 26 and probably in the demographic Honda thinks would want those red inserts on the seat. I had to hold back my dinner from coming up looking at it.

I just saw the 2014 Si sedan - I'm SO happy I have a 2013 Si sedan...some say the spoiler is "too much". Honda went back to "not enough" with the 2014 Si's sedan's spoiler.

Is it that hard to hit a happy medium, or should we come to expect drastic changes for every single model year of the 9th gen Civic? The naysayers can sit here and say that they're "keeping up with the market", but I can't think of a single car for sale that has changed as drastically - or frequently, as the 2012+ Civic. The 8th gens got a mid model refresh plus a few upgrades year over year...but nothing nearly this drastic.

I need a draminie to get through reading about the updates they're so up and down every year. Tighter suspension again for the Si this year? Seriously? Can you do it right the first time please instead of giving us a Corolla for 2012, a much improved 2013 handling, and now even more suspension tweaks?

That's not updating. That's fixing judgment error. The other stuff is superficial. Sure the push button start and "pinch screen" and lane departure is cool and I'd totally buy into it, but its not enough to upgrade for me. Especially with those hideous new Si wheels for 2014.

Just my two cents. I'm glad Honda's trying to keep ahead of the game, but it would've helped if they started there in 2012 to begin with. Maybe then we wouldn't have to see more changes than Joan River's face after plastic surgery year after year of this Civic cycle.

Also, here's the link for the 2014 Si sedan: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe News - Official Site

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am 26 and probably in the demographic Honda thinks would want those red inserts on the seat. I had to hold back my dinner from coming up looking at it.

I just saw the 2014 Si sedan - I'm SO happy I have a 2013 Si sedan...some say the spoiler is "too much". Honda went back to "not enough" with the 2014 Si's sedan's spoiler.

Is it that hard to hit a happy medium, or should we come to expect drastic changes for every single model year of the 9th gen Civic? The naysayers can sit here and say that they're "keeping up with the market", but I can't think of a single car for sale that has changed as drastically - or frequently, as the 2012+ Civic. The 8th gens got a mid model refresh plus a few upgrades year over year...but nothing nearly this drastic.

I need a draminie to get through reading about the updates they're so up and down every year. Tighter suspension again for the Si this year? Seriously? Can you do it right the first time please instead of giving us a Corolla for 2012, a much improved 2013 handling, and now even more suspension tweaks?

That's not updating. That's fixing judgment error. The other stuff is superficial. Sure the push button start and "pinch screen" and lane departure is cool and I'd totally buy into it, but its not enough to upgrade for me. Especially with those hideous new Si wheels for 2014.

Just my two cents. I'm glad Honda's trying to keep ahead of the game, but it would've helped if they started there in 2012 to begin with. Maybe then we wouldn't have to see more changes than Joan River's face after plastic surgery year after year of this Civic cycle.

Also, here's the link for the 2014 Si sedan: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe News - Official Site
According to that Honda site, only the coupes have that crazy, bulging front end? I may be able to get used to the bumper, but I hate the raised fender that looks like a Tiburons fender or something, which therefor, makes the hood more curvature. Not fair that the sedans got to keep the same front ends.
Oh well. Things that will make me trade my 2013 for a 2014, is if the curb weight went lower, and i'd get to keep my 2013 front end. I'm really interested in the Navi though, and curious about the HDMI port.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,239 Posts
The red seats look okay but I'm happy with my black on black, if anyone plans to keep their car longterm the black on black is the better option IMO.

Looks like Si sedan Honda went back to the decklid spoiler. I'd have to see better pics to see which one I prefer 13 or 14.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. I'm 31 and I dig those red seats. I don't like those new rims though, and I hate that the tires I want aren't available in 225/40R18. That size has more choices for summer tires and not as many for allseasons compared to the 17s. That's really the only complaint I have for the 14 Si sedan. I think the interior is definitely better and the modest spoiler fits my understated nature better.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Yeah i dont like the new 14 sedan spoiler either! The 13 spoiler looked sportier. I have a 13 lx sedan and Im looking to get the Si spoiler... It completes the rear end. Idk how ppl dont like the 13 spoiler lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm curious about this 7" "squeeze" screen they added and what kind of infotainment improvements they made. I think the Lane Departure or whatever is a cool little feature, but the visibility in the Civic is pretty solid compared to a lot of other compacts, so I don't think it's as necessary. I'd much rather have seen LED headlights or the LED strip like the high end Accord has.

Push button start, also neat, but not really a "must have" for me. If those red inserts are standard on the Si, I probably won't ever buy one again. it's already pushing the envelope for being a bit too "racer" for my image. It's a great looking car, but not a car you expect to see a young professional in a suit and tie hop out of. Just my thoughts. I love my car, but there's a slew of other things they could've fixed before they changed the rims, added 4 horsepower and red inserts on the already busy seats haha.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am not a fan of LCD screens (big ones; don't mind little tiny ones like on the 7th gen stereo system) in cars.

Too distracting.

Aesthetically horrid.

Too bright.

I intentionally avoided the navi system when I bought my '12 Si.

I really wish Honda would focus on the basics.

But I feel they are probably doomed to forever appeal to the masses, which explains why most Hondas come with abominable automatic transmissions. It's the tyranny of the noob majority.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,239 Posts
I'd much rather have seen LED headlights or the LED strip like the high end Accord has.
Those LED strips I have a feeling are a high maintenance item. I see quite a few cars that have them that part or all of the strip is burned out.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,239 Posts
But I feel they are probably doomed to forever appeal to the masses, which explains why most Hondas come with abominable automatic transmissions. It's the tyranny of the noob majority.
Well there is a place for autos and cvt just not in my house thank you very much other than that I agree with you "long live the manuals".

1 - 20 of 103 Posts