9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Once again, Honda is updating the Civic just one year after a refresh, and the company will debut the new 2014 Civic Coupe at the upcoming Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show.

Styling updates are likely the biggest part of this refresh, but Honda also says that it will be enhancing its Si performance package for the car as well. Not only will the brand debut the 2014 Civic Si Coupe (seen above), its booth will be littered with multiple variations of the car, no doubt fit with all sorts of aftermarket parts.

SEE ALSO: 2013 SEMA Coverage

More photos and information on the car will be released in the coming weeks while the full debut will take place on November 5 at 9:30 a.m.

AutoGuide will be reporting live from SEMA, so make sure to check back for all t
Read the full story on the 2014 Honda Civic at AutoGuide.com

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I think the same engines will carry over though. Maybe they will get rid rev hang?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honestly, i dont know anything about power increase in this car. Honda refreshed the sedan for 2013 with cosmetic looks but engine is still the FB6 2.4 liter engine same as the 2012 model. Honda focused on the sedan 2013 giving it a complete redesign and just a little more torque but not power. for the 2014 Honda concentrated more on the Coupe meaning that the only thing that may change on the sedan is very little; wheels, headlights;(dont worry you can fit the changes on the 2013 sedan.) The Coupe may be refreshed only cosmetically aswell. Honda will more than likely give it a bit more torque than 2013 but engine will be still FB6 2.4 liter. I like the redesign of the car and i totally dig the new spoiler. the spoiler doesnt look ricer-like but it improves the aerodynamics on the car. the tail-lights look amazing on the coupe and more than likely wil fit the 2012-13 coupe. so what is the result? its a great upgrade. i am anxious to see on the road. :woowoo:

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most likely scenario is an incremental update to the K24, maybe they have read the forums and updated the throttle body and exhaust. Paired with some other tweaks that could be worth 15hp.

The next scenario is the K24ED tuned to run on premo, that would be awesome provided the tune allowed for better top end.

The next scenario is something totally new, could it be the K20ED with intake and exhaust side VTEC? 8000rpm redline 220hp and 175 ft lbs of torque.

My last scenario is that they boost it earlier than expected, most likely a turbo but they have tested superchargers on modified crz's in Europe so anything is possible.

Bottom line, if they get this upgrade right they will be getting my deposit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
New taillights: fine.
Revised bumper crease at left corner: questionable.
Revised reflector on bumper: definitely dumb-looking. I hate these things.
Do the headlights look more bug-eyed? Can't really tell. I don't think my '12 Si headlights stick out that far.
Spoiler: fine.
Wheels look like they're chromed.

Here's how I'd revise the 2012 Si into something better: (in order of importance)
1) steering needs more feedback, needs to be firmer, needs a lower ratio or whatever.
2) suspension needs to be firmer. Mebbe make the HFP suspension the default suspension.
Move the stick rearward 1cm and to the left 1cm.
Redesign "banana" dash into conventional "pod" dash with analog gauges for speedo and tach.
Redesign nose so it doesn't have that "cloth stretched over a metal frame" look.
Make seat cushions firmer.
Remove all buttons from steering wheel except for horn and cruise control. Place cruise buttons off to side of wheel, like in the 7th gen Civic.
Remove i-Mid.
Make sunroof an option.
Remove remote locks and power locks. Just make them all manual.
Make VSA control a toggle switch.
Power is fine, do not bump power.
(notice I've not mentioned foam dash ... the plastic dash is fine.)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That is one sharp looking coupe. As much as I love the updates to the 2013 sedan, I am a coupe guy at heart and this is giving me some serious buyer's remorse.

Would've been nice if they could've just nailed the design right the first time around on the coupe haha. I suppose there's always something new though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
According to this article, the new top speed for the Si is 155MPH. So, the power output must be increases slightly on the 2014 lineup.

2014 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Top Speed

I'd say it's more likely that they'll keep the same engine, but widen 6th gear, or the final drive a bit to get to that higher top speed. It'll probably also be good for another mpg or 2 as well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This might make for faster track times for pro/semi-pro racers. Or for automotive journalists doing "Lighting Laps." But it means nothing to 95 percent of normal Si drivers, aside from boosting bragging rights slightly.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Everything seems like it will all be able to bolt right on to our 12 and 13 Si coupes. I reeeeaaalllyy like the 14 tail lights though. I don't car for the reflectors in the bumper but I do like the new rear bumper a lot better than my 13 bumper but I would like it even more without the reflectors. things I want to see in the refresh? Honestly nothing. I don't want them to change anything until it's time for the real remodel where they change everything. mainly because it's going to make me regret buying my 13 coupe because it was supposed to be a refresh and only a few minor things were done to it. and yes yes I know the same things could be said about the 13's from the 12 owners. honestly I feel the Si should drop a few pounds get wider rims and stickier tires disable some stupid functions in the I-MID maybe make the I-MID a head up display kind of thing. it should come a little lower from the factory (for a better center of gravity and better handling) the power the Si makes I think is already great but if they wanted to throw a small turbo on the current K24 platform or maybe make a DOHC varient of the R18 and slap a turbo onto it. the R18 has already proven to be a pretty well made engine making 140HP and something like 128tq N/A on a single cam eco engine.(which by the way has about the same torque as the K20 engines which I think is partly why Honda gave us the K24 because all of the complaints of little torque) imagine if you well, you know, injected it with a little sportiness. call it the K18 or something idk or make it a turbo 1.8L earth dreams and call it an E18W8 or something. dunno just spit balling ideas for Honda lol all I want is less weight and better handling and more bolstered seats to actually hold me. like the fr-s does. and for anyone who has never sat in an fr-s it holds you quite nicely unlike my Si even after 15k miles. i keep saying if Toyota makes a 2door carolla with a 6-7spd manual setup like the current Si trans (not like the fr-s where reverse is where 1st should be) and with an engine putting out over 200hp and close to 200tq that they could have me signing up for it. and I'm really hoping that they don't because I do love my Honda but Honda keeps dicking around and isn't getting to the point and not fast enough either and I don't have to want to keep my word and switch to Toyota.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I still think its kinda crap they've been changing the interior/body up so much year after year...it tells me they don't know what they're doing.

You can argue that its because they're 'improving it' but these changes are FAR more drastic than the changes made to any 'mid model refresh' in previous generations. That tells me Honda's engineers are sloppy and really not getting it. While I know the rush to get the sedan 'updated' for 2013 was priority (and no doubt extremely expensive for Honda) - it speaks volumes about how poor they perceived the 2012 Civic...and it makes sense the coupe, a niche seller, was left out of updates on the exterior for 2013...to save money. But all the same, they really dropped the ball on the 9th gen. One can disagree, but actions speak volumes.

I love what they did with the coupe and wish I'd have waited to trade my 2012 Si coupe up for a 2014, because I definitely am not going in the hole - on Honda's money or my money - to buy the coupe that should've been released the entire time. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It looks nice, but I honestly think I like my '12 rear bumper and spoiler better. I'm not a big fan of seeing a spoiler in the rear window...especially on a coupe which are typically more streamlined.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,105 Posts
I still think its kinda crap they've been changing the interior/body up so much year after year...it tells me they don't know what they're doing.
On the contrary, looking at it positively, I think that a refresh, even after only a year, means that they are not resting on their laurels. If someone got a better idea, they are putting it into action.

In this case, the coupe refresh is in the car's 3rd model year, so it fits in with past regular mid-term refreshes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Honda is just keeping pace with competion, update/refresh on 2014 model is too counter the new mazda 3 and corolla next year they will add new blings again to counter the upcoming refresh or redesign of the hyundai elantra

·
Registered
576 Posts
IMO the '12 Si coupe is the best 9th so far (no bias here! :D ). No bumper reflectors. No "carbon" dash. The rear bumper on the '12-'13 looks better than what I'm looking at on the '14.

And this is how Honda has always done it ... I like the original 7th-gen. more than the revised 7th-gen. And I like the original 8th gens more than the revised one.

I had a 2002 (7th gen.) Civic LX coupe. I *loved* the horseshoe taillights, dual same-sized analog gauges and the "angry cross-eyed" headlights.

Then Honda refreshed the 7th generation coupe in 2003 or so:
1) Horseshoe taillights gone. Instead just a horizontal bar with a circular (not U-shaped) reverse light. Ugh. Fail.
2) "streamlined" headlights replaced the angry cross-eyed headlights. Ugh, again.
3) Dual same-size analog gauges replaced with large speedo, smaller other gauges.
7th civic variation.jpg
As an aside ... the 9th gen Civic is ostensibly a better car than the 7th gen for a variety of factors such as having side-impact airbags and standard ABS.

I hate to say it but IMO the 7th gen Civic was a better "2002 car" than the 9th is a "2012 car," if you know what I mean. Accounting for "technology inflation," so to speak. The 9th *should* be better than it is -- sharpened up. Needs more rawness, less numbness (especially the non-Si models. The Si isn't as bad). Less insulating technology. I want to be *exposed* to the experience of driving, not insulated from it.

I found my 2002 Civic LX coupe to have a more fun suspension and steering than my 2012 Si. Which is just wrong. Handling is soooo important. More important than horsepower or torque IMO. And not just handling that results in good numbers .... low times on a track for example. But it has to >>feel<< like it has great handling.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
On the contrary, looking at it positively, I think that a refresh, even after only a year, means that they are not resting on their laurels. If someone got a better idea, they are putting it into action.

In this case, the coupe refresh is in the car's 3rd model year, so it fits in with past regular mid-term refreshes.
I totally agree. I'm certainly not criticizing them. In fact, I suspected this was going to happen around the time they announced the overhaul of the 2013 sedan. Its no secret that the urgency surrounding that update likely was a very costly one to push out in just over 12 months, and for them to spend a lot more money to do it to the coupe for 2013, a niche seller that constitutes only fractional sales, would've been financially stupid. It likely cost Honda much less to plan the 2014 coupe updates and roll it out, having an extra year to do it all...saving money.

That spoiler is great - I always felt the coupe's spoiler on the 9th gen was really not very good - too understated. I'm ambivalent about the red reflectors on the bumper - that trend is kind of annoying and not very attractive, but the rest of it looks good.

What I'm really curious about is the front end. Look at the fender - they bulge out a bit and so does the headlight - what did they do the front, I wonder...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts