9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I still think its kinda crap they've been changing the interior/body up so much year after year...it tells me they don't know what they're doing.

You can argue that its because they're 'improving it' but these changes are FAR more drastic than the changes made to any 'mid model refresh' in previous generations. That tells me Honda's engineers are sloppy and really not getting it. While I know the rush to get the sedan 'updated' for 2013 was priority (and no doubt extremely expensive for Honda) - it speaks volumes about how poor they perceived the 2012 Civic...and it makes sense the coupe, a niche seller, was left out of updates on the exterior for 2013...to save money. But all the same, they really dropped the ball on the 9th gen. One can disagree, but actions speak volumes.

I love what they did with the coupe and wish I'd have waited to trade my 2012 Si coupe up for a 2014, because I definitely am not going in the hole - on Honda's money or my money - to buy the coupe that should've been released the entire time. Just my .02.
I like this and agree.

Sent from my SCH-I545

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
It's how it goes. What do you expect the company to do? Year after year, their competitors come out with something better and Honda gets blasted in the media for being complacent and not reactive to the changes in the market. They react to the market and are said to "not know what they're doing" or "being too reactive." You know, if they didn't push out the sedan changes at the end of 2012 and continued with their original 2014 plan, would folks be complaining this much?

Maybe it's pretty smart with them staggering the output. Because people, like some on this forum, will trade their 2011 for a 2012, hate the 2012, jump on the 2013, then with the 2014 gets shown, they're drooling all over again, with raging speculation of what is meant by "performance upgrades." Seems to me like Honda is being pretty clever to get so many people jumping year to year, losing money on their trade each time to get the one more feature they offered this year that they didn't last year. Maybe they learned a little from the folks at Apple. Release a phone and a year later, give it a "facelift" and you have folks paying through the nose for the same product, spare a new feature and questionable gains in performance.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
Wow, this ^^ is a clever analysis. Very thought-provoking.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah I don't go for that mode of thinking. I had my 2002 Civic for 10 years before it got rear-ended and totaled. I was planning to drive it another 5, 10, 20 years or whatever. And of course all the time I had the 2002 Civic I would visit automobiles.honda.com and "build" my 9th gen Civic for kicks. So fun to do that on auto websites. And then my '02 got destroyed and I actually did get a 9th! Wow. Is that the power of suggestive thinking? If so, be very very VERY careful what you think about. lulz.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
It's how it goes. What do you expect the company to do? Year after year, their competitors come out with something better and Honda gets blasted in the media for being complacent and not reactive to the changes in the market. They react to the market and are said to "not know what they're doing" or "being too reactive." You know, if they didn't push out the sedan changes at the end of 2012 and continued with their original 2014 plan, would folks be complaining this much?

Maybe it's pretty smart with them staggering the output. Because people, like some on this forum, will trade their 2011 for a 2012, hate the 2012, jump on the 2013, then with the 2014 gets shown, they're drooling all over again, with raging speculation of what is meant by "performance upgrades." Seems to me like Honda is being pretty clever to get so many people jumping year to year, losing money on their trade each time to get the one more feature they offered this year that they didn't last year. Maybe they learned a little from the folks at Apple. Release a phone and a year later, give it a "facelift" and you have folks paying through the nose for the same product, spare a new feature and questionable gains in performance.
Gotta say it's true, because I'm definitely falling into the drooling category and I'm definitely waiting for the reveal at Sema to see if it's worth the lose of a few grande to get the 2014... There's just something about the back end of these that's so eye catching I can't look away. Plus for me personally it has everything I wanted for the coupe, a rear diffuser, and I was looking how it would be possible to even have a spoiler on the coupe from the 2013 sedan and it just isn't possible without having a large and small spoiler in the back, this new design looks awesome, and I'm just waiting to see the front, specs, and options for the new SI before throwing money at Honda.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unveiling the newly redesign 2014 civic @ 2013 SEMA

Yes you read it right, they will unveil the newly redesign civic Si coupe 2014 at SEMA Show in Vegas nov 5th, so far honda just released 1 picture of the new coupe, all i can say it rear bumper is freakin killer! Here's the pic!!! Man i cant wait till they show the hfp edition of that model.

Attachments

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
Don't people read the 'new posts' before posting? We now have 3 threads on this very same subject.

Mods, please combine.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
pretty wack to have two spoilers.

in the end I don't care for 2014 because imma boost my pos 2012 si.
Exactly, rather just leave it, but it sucks to not have the possibility to have a larger spoiler. I don't like huge spoilers, but the one on the 2013 sedan just suites the car, looks nice to me.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I hope Honda doesn't get chrome happy with the front end tho. It won't make much of a difference for me since I have no intentions of trading up for a 14 si coupe, but from what I can tell from the teaser pic, the rear looks much sportier and finally gets 18 inch wheels, which is a huge plus. Hopefully with the larger diameter will come more width for more grip on the road. 18x7.5 would be appropriate.
As far as performance upgrades, I would bet my money that they will make some tweaks to suspension and steering, maybe thicker sway bars, bigger brakes, tighter steering.
This is a long shot, but I hope Honda will give the new Si a lower center of gravity, as the current Si's sit off the ground like a jeep lol, why so much wheel gap for a sporty car?? A lower center of gravity will certainly reduce body roll that the new Si's are known for. Don't get your hopes up that honda will give the 2014 si 20+ more hp, just not gonna happen lol, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.
We will know for sure next week!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
I don't understand why Honda doesn't make the HFP-height suspension standard for the Si. It's obviously legal.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I actually like the height on my Si. I haven't scraped it on any driveways after having it for 5 months and the suspension isn't overly harsh. my 11' EX would scrape on things constantly.
Agreed I like my ride height only because I have only scraped two times in owning the car only because I went too fast into a stater bros parking lot that had a dip at the start of the incline. That's why I want air bags =P

Sent from my SCH-I545

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
No Projector Headlights and no 3 lobe Vtec on exhaust camshaft on 2014 civic si = no care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like they're putting the '13 sedan taillights on the coupes - and it looks good. Hopefully they don't change the sedans too much...
I live in indianapolis, Indiana...not far from the greensburg plant....I've heard from folks that have friends that work there...no real changes. The 2 door models get updates that the 4 doors got for 2013....including the not well liked raised spoiler. So new front and rears and front nose actually makes car like an inch longer...just like it did when it went on the 4door. Just sticks out more.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I live in indianapolis, Indiana...not far from the greensburg plant....I've heard from folks that have friends that work there...no real changes. The 2 door models get updates that the 4 doors got for 2013....including the not well liked raised spoiler. So new front and rears and front nose actually makes car like an inch longer...just like it did when it went on the 4door. Just sticks out more.
So the front is the exact same as the 2013 sedan?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Not necessarily. That's not exactly what that meant.
I'm hoping not, not a big fan of the 2013 sedan front, the back looks wicked though. Anyone else notice the corner of the front bumper from the teaser pic that seems to kind of bulge out?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
Yes, the front end, from this not at all revealing angle, seems like it has been revised somewhat. I'm looking forward to actually seeing it.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts