9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here ... I "fixed" the 2014 in Photoshop :)

View attachment 113697
It just looks like the 13 bumper now with just a different diffuser. It looks like the 14 has bigger headlights and a taller front end unlike the 13 where it just slopes down towards the front end in a straight line kinda

Sent from my SCH-I545

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm kind of frustrated with Honda. I know they are trying to "improve" the car, but it's frustrating to supporters. I just bought my '13 sedan in September thinking that there likely wouldn't be any major changes after the 2013 refresh. First the 2012 owners were pissed off and now it looks like the 2013 owners will be pissed off. I understand the coupe re-fresh to match the sedan, but I'm going to be upset if there are major changes to the Si. I'm hoping the performance enhancements consist of only bodywork changes and new wheels. If there are new brakes, engine output changes or a new engine, I am going to be pissed that I didn't wait until 2014. Honestly I never thought the designs were too bad to begin with for the 2012 models. This is a Honda, which usually has conservative styling that ages well. The Focus looks cool now, but in 10 years it will look fugly.

I doubt there are any powertrain changes coming as the 2014 Acura ILX's K24 has the same specifications as 2013. If they were changing anything in the engine bay I would expect the Acura would get it first or at least the same time as the Civic Si. 6-speed manual is sure to stay, and I doubt an automatic will be offered on the Si. Guessing it will mostly be cosmetic re-styling to the coupe and probably new wheels. Though I'm wondering what the "performance enhancements" will be for the Si?

In the end it doesn't matter I suppose. I'm not going to loose a boat load of money to trade up for a 2014 Si. I've really been enjoying my 2013 Si Sedan, but I was hoping it would remain current until the 10th generation Civic a few years down the road. Makes me less interested in buying a future Honda knowing that there is an updated one coming year after year. I was super close to buying a 2014 Subaru Forester XT (which just won MT SUV of the Year), but thought the Si would be more fun and I saved a bunch of money. If there are big changes to the Si, I'm going to wish I got the Forester.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in indianapolis, Indiana...not far from the greensburg plant....I've heard from folks that have friends that work there...no real changes. The 2 door models get updates that the 4 doors got for 2013....including the not well liked raised spoiler. So new front and rears and front nose actually makes car like an inch longer...just like it did when it went on the 4door. Just sticks out more.
I really hope you are right. I understand Honda wanting to re-fresh the coupe styling for 2014 after doing the bread & butter sedan in 2013. I am going to be upset if there are bigger, wider tires and larger brakes available! Ah well, what can you do? There's always something newer and better around the corner.

I'm not 100% convinced that the Si is getting new wheels. They look pretty close to the previous press photos of the 2013 models, however they could be 18" with a slightly narrower profile tire. Hope they don't go more than the current 215 width otherwise I'll be upset I didn't get a 2014!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I really hope you are right. I understand Honda wanting to re-fresh the coupe styling for 2014 after doing the bread & butter sedan in 2013. I am going to be upset if there are bigger, wider tires and larger brakes available! Ah well, what can you do? There's always something newer and better around the corner.
In all the models of the civic I've ever seen its been One fascia upgrade per generation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't worry about the "upgrade" thing ... it never ends.

If you had waited for the 2014 model, you'd regret not waiting to buy the 2015 or 2016 which will be EVEN BETTER!!!!

This happens in photography, too.

I use a 2005 (ancient for digital cameras) Nikon D200.

"But it's so NOISEY!" other people will say, people who have new $$$ 2013 digital cameras.

"But it's only got 10 megapixels!," other people with 2013 cameras will say.

But I say, so what. The noise levels are sufficiently low for what I do. The megapixel count is also more than adequate for what I do.

I'm not gonna upgrade every year just coz there's a new model out.

I happily drove my 2002 Civic LX for 10 years. When the 7th-gen Civic refresh came out I actually felt like mine looked nicer, so i had no regrets. (I feel the same way about the 2012 Si ... it's the nicest one of the 9th-gen Si so far IMO). When the 8th gen came out I really liked that one, but not enough that I'd spend the money to "upgrade." Same with the 9th gen. But when my 2002 got totaled I bought a 9th (somewhat reluctantly, to be honest, mainly coz my 7th was fully paid off!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
"I know they are trying to "improve" the car, but it's frustrating to supporters. I just bought my '13 sedan in September thinking that there likely wouldn't be any major changes after the 2013 refresh."

Said this before to many younger car fans, "Welcome to the car biz". Cars have been changing for over 100 years! If you expect your purchase to be "all new" for years, you're going to be 'frustrated' time and time again. Look how often Apple iPhones change, think they sit still so "supporters" feel better? Just showcasing reality versus "dreams".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Honda one styling upgrade per civic generation. Maybe some new equipment but powertrain stuff only changes from when a new model comes out especially an si. The trends are there.

The dilemma, get the new model first then regret when the mid cycle refresh comes. Or get the refresh and regret not waiting for the new model. This is all cars not just unique to Honda.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,384 Posts
People just have to learn to be happy with what they've got. Or modify what they have to whatever extent works for them. But complete replacement? Pfah!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I admire the designs of all the Civics, from the 1970s to the present day. Check out this first/second-gen Civic:
civic1.jpg

This car is crazy. When I look at this car I can hardly believe Honda came from such humble roots to create the cars they do today. When I was in college in the '90s there was a Civic like this one. Two brothers owned it. I didn't know them, but I often saw them in the car. It was battered. And so tiny! Oh man. I liked it, but what a death trap in a crash it would be.

Then I ADORE the super-angular look on the third and fourth-generation Civics. I'm not joking. I totally dig the angular, low, wide, jaunty look of these suckers.

I remember the first time I saw a 5th-gen Civic up close. It was at a auto show in St. Louis, Mo., at a huge stadium. I was a teen there, with my dad. They had a brand-new black 5th-gen hatchback with a five-speed. I sat in it and jiggled the stick. Man, that car, to me, was utter perfection on wheels. That car was probably why I drive a Civic today, and why I've driven them for the past 13 years. I never owned a 5th. I was driving a huge old Pontiac at the time.

I almost bought a sixth. I like the "angry cross-eyed" look of this car. It was the last Civic to have double-whishbones.

My old car broke down in 2002. I bought a brand-new 2002 Civic LX coupe to replace it, five-speed. Loved that car. Drove it for 10 years. Terrific handling, great looks, wonderful tight steering, snickity shifter. It felt like a WWII Zero, on wheels: light and nimble and highly maneuverable. I love the wedge shape. It's like a giant doorstop (ha ha, in a good way.) Beautiful car:
7th.jpg

That was my baby. Check out those sweet alloys. Hot damn. I hand-waxed that car four times a year. I had it maintained by the dealer. The paint still looked new the day it got destroyed, I kept it in such good shape.

The 8th-gen ... possibly Honda's best Civic ever, as far as I can tell, with the exception of what I've heard about a few quirks with third gear or whatever. Beautiful car.

And the 9th is hot too.

So there you go. 9 great Civics. I like 'em all.

The other day I drove in a parking lot and there was a beat-up '80s Datsun 280Z parked in the lot. Gorgeous car, even when not taken care of. I was in love.

So ... in short, never say that your car is "lesser" just because it's been updated by a newer model.

Your car just became that much more of a "classic" is how I see it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
yea its very typical for a lot of people to first hate on a new or updated car. Every time honda does anything to their cars, everybody hates it and refuses the changes ... like ''nobody'' liked the new big headlights on the 6th gen, the 7th gen was crap, the 8th gen was ugly and weird, the 9th gen such shit ..and on and on ... at the end of the day, civic is best selling canadian car for 15yrs running and i appreciate every model year for their differences.

oh and btw, the fact that the coupe didn't get an exterior upgrade in 2013 isn't a financial reason so much like it couldn't be ready in time. 12months from start to roll out of factory is a very short amount of time to undergo as much changes as they did with 2012-2013 sedan. if they had to concentrate on one body style to make it happen, sales volume made sense to attack the sedan first. the coupe benefited from all the core improvements tho.

for 2014, i hope the regular Si' suspension is closer to that of the HFP. also very impatient to see that front end .. IF there's any modification to the engine, my guess is it'll use a high output direct injected earth's dream K24 like that one found in the accord, only upgrade to over 200hp. This is no secret, the Acura ILX will soon be fitted with the accord's engine, so it wouldn't surprise me to find it under the hood of the new Si.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,384 Posts
When I first started driving, a friend of mine had an original ('74) Civic. I loved that car, and would drive it anytime I could. It felt very different than my RWD Corollas ('71, '72), which I also loved.

If I could get any of those cars back (including my Dad's '71 Beetle), I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
yea its very typical for a lot of people to first hate on a new or updated car. Every time honda does anything to their cars, everybody hates it and refuses the changes ... like ''nobody'' liked the new big headlights on the 6th gen, the 7th gen was crap, the 8th gen was ugly and weird, the 9th gen such shit ..and on and on ... at the end of the day, civic is best selling canadian car for 15yrs running and i appreciate every model year for their differences.

oh and btw, the fact that the coupe didn't get an exterior upgrade in 2013 isn't a financial reason so much like it couldn't be ready in time. 12months from start to roll out of factory is a very short amount of time to undergo as much changes as they did with 2012-2013 sedan. if they had to concentrate on one body style to make it happen, sales volume made sense to attack the sedan first. the coupe benefited from all the core improvements tho.

for 2014, i hope the regular Si' suspension is closer to that of the HFP. also very impatient to see that front end .. IF there's any modification to the engine, my guess is it'll use a high output direct injected earth's dream K24 like that one found in the accord, only upgrade to over 200hp. This is no secret, the Acura ILX will soon be fitted with the accord's engine, so it wouldn't surprise me to find it under the hood of the new Si.
The ilx has different engine choices, whereas the si does not. So it is unlikely they would put the accord engine in the civic.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't get the "more power" thang.

More power ... higher insurance ... more trouble ... lower fuel economy ... higher fuel bills.

BALANCE ... is important. And the Si has a good balance of power and thriftiness.

A stock Si will outperform 95% of the vehicles on the road. How much power ya' need?

Buy a V8 Mustang if you want power, IMO. Corvette. Something with a V8 in it, not some rinky dink 4/6-cylinder.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,376 Posts
I admire the designs of all the Civics, from the 1970s to the present day. Check out this first/second-gen Civic:
View attachment 114753

This car is crazy. When I look at this car I can hardly believe Honda came from such humble roots to create the cars they do today. When I was in college in the '90s there was a Civic like this one. Two brothers owned it. I didn't know them, but I often saw them in the car. It was battered. And so tiny! Oh man. I liked it, but what a death trap in a crash it would be.

Then I ADORE the super-angular look on the third and fourth-generation Civics. I'm not joking. I totally dig the angular, low, wide, jaunty look of these suckers.

I remember the first time I saw a 5th-gen Civic up close. It was at a auto show in St. Louis, Mo., at a huge stadium. I was a teen there, with my dad. They had a brand-new black 5th-gen hatchback with a five-speed. I sat in it and jiggled the stick. Man, that car, to me, was utter perfection on wheels. That car was probably why I drive a Civic today, and why I've driven them for the past 13 years. I never owned a 5th. I was driving a huge old Pontiac at the time.

I almost bought a sixth. I like the "angry cross-eyed" look of this car. It was the last Civic to have double-whishbones.

My old car broke down in 2002. I bought a brand-new 2002 Civic LX coupe to replace it, five-speed. Loved that car. Drove it for 10 years. Terrific handling, great looks, wonderful tight steering, snickity shifter. It felt like a WWII Zero, on wheels: light and nimble and highly maneuverable. I love the wedge shape. It's like a giant doorstop (ha ha, in a good way.) Beautiful car:
View attachment 114761

That was my baby. Check out those sweet alloys. Hot damn. I hand-waxed that car four times a year. I had it maintained by the dealer. The paint still looked new the day it got destroyed, I kept it in such good shape.

The 8th-gen ... possibly Honda's best Civic ever, as far as I can tell, with the exception of what I've heard about a few quirks with third gear or whatever. Beautiful car.

And the 9th is hot too.

So there you go. 9 great Civics. I like 'em all.

The other day I drove in a parking lot and there was a beat-up '80s Datsun 280Z parked in the lot. Gorgeous car, even when not taken care of. I was in love.

So ... in short, never say that your car is "lesser" just because it's been updated by a newer model.

Your car just became that much more of a "classic" is how I see it.
Great post. You must of cried when you lost your 2002 LX.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't get the "more power" thang.

More power ... higher insurance ... more trouble ... lower fuel economy ... higher fuel bills.

BALANCE ... is important. And the Si has a good balance of power and thriftiness.

A stock Si will outperform 95% of the vehicles on the road. How much power ya' need?

Buy a V8 Mustang if you want power, IMO. Corvette. Something with a V8 in it, not some rinky dink 4/6-cylinder.

Unfortunately not enough Americans think like you.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts