101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,386 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
106 Posts
I think it's good that it wasn't something released that was completely unfair to those who had made a recent purchase. I prefer the look of the front end on the previous model as well as the back. (Can't understand the lip and a wing thing) I like the wheels, but don't think they work on the car. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's how I'd revise the 2012 Si into something better: (in order of importance)
1) steering needs more feedback, needs to be firmer, needs a lower ratio or whatever.
2) suspension needs to be firmer. Mebbe make the HFP suspension the default suspension.
Move the stick rearward 1cm and to the left 1cm.
Redesign "banana" dash into conventional "pod" dash with analog gauges for speedo and tach.
Redesign nose so it doesn't have that "cloth stretched over a metal frame" look.
Make seat cushions firmer.
Remove all buttons from steering wheel except for horn and cruise control. Place cruise buttons off to side of wheel, like in the 7th gen Civic.
Remove i-Mid.
Make sunroof an option.
Remove remote locks and power locks. Just make them all manual.
Make VSA control a toggle switch.
Power is fine, do not bump power.
(notice I've not mentioned foam dash ... the plastic dash is fine.)
I agree that they cruise on the 7th gen is in a much better position. I don't have to reach up as far.
And I too wish they'd get rid of the digital speedo and tiered layout.
But I don't think anyone else would agree about removing iMid or remote/power locks.
A lot of people mention poor seats and handling with the 9th gen. I wonder if any of that has been improved for 2014 (for non-Si).

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMO the '12 Si coupe is the best 9th so far (no bias here! :D ). No bumper reflectors. No "carbon" dash. The rear bumper on the '12-'13 looks better than what I'm looking at on the '14.

And this is how Honda has always done it ... I like the original 7th-gen. more than the revised 7th-gen. And I like the original 8th gens more than the revised one.

I had a 2002 (7th gen.) Civic LX coupe. I *loved* the horseshoe taillights, dual same-sized analog gauges and the "angry cross-eyed" headlights.

Then Honda refreshed the 7th generation coupe in 2003 or so:
1) Horseshoe taillights gone. Instead just a horizontal bar with a circular (not U-shaped) reverse light. Ugh. Fail.
2) "streamlined" headlights replaced the angry cross-eyed headlights. Ugh, again.
3) Dual same-size analog gauges replaced with large speedo, smaller other gauges.
View attachment 112057
As an aside ... the 9th gen Civic is ostensibly a better car than the 7th gen for a variety of factors such as having side-impact airbags and standard ABS.

I hate to say it but IMO the 7th gen Civic was a better "2002 car" than the 9th is a "2012 car," if you know what I mean. Accounting for "technology inflation," so to speak. The 9th *should* be better than it is -- sharpened up. Needs more rawness, less numbness (especially the non-Si models. The Si isn't as bad). Less insulating technology. I want to be *exposed* to the experience of driving, not insulated from it.

I found my 2002 Civic LX coupe to have a more fun suspension and steering than my 2012 Si. Which is just wrong. Handling is soooo important. More important than horsepower or torque IMO. And not just handling that results in good numbers .... low times on a track for example. But it has to >>feel<< like it has great handling.
I like the headlights, taillights and gauges better on the refreshed 7th gen (which started in 2004, instead of 2003), which is why I bought a 2004. I've had other people tell me they liked the headlights on mine better.
I do think my 2004 handles pretty well considering the older technology and the mileage on my car. I've been wanting a newer one but really hate to get worse handling.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,386 Posts
That NSX concept is sex on wheels.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I like the NSX wheels better lol. Seriously though from that angle it looks pretty good but those Si rims gotta go.
Agreed. But if you look close enough that NSX rendering looks a looot like the 13 Si body (obviously it's not the same body) but they look very similar with similar lines and overall shape.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

101 - 115 of 115 Posts