9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed one on my '12 Si Coupe today. Parts you will need including suggested retail prices:

52300-TR7-A51 Rear Stabilizer Bar $52.05
93401-10020-008 x 4 Stabilizer Holder Bolts (You can reuse your old ones. I just prefer new bolts on new parts) $1.10 ea
52306-TR7-A51 x 2 Bushing $12.75 ea
52308-TR7-A00 x 2 Bushing Holder $2.33 ea
52317-TR7-A01 Right Bracket $10.67
52318-TR7-A01 Left Bracket $9.72
93404-10030-08 x 4 Bracket Bolts with Washers $1.13 ea
90212-SA5-003 x 2 End Link Self Locking Nut (Again, you can reuse your old ones) $0.57 ea
Shinetsu Grease for the bushings. (Good stuff!)

Here's a size comparison of the '12 and '14 bars
20140418_143913.jpg
Here's a comparison of the brackets. Notice the '14 on the left is reinforced. I don't recommend using the old brackets. They will bend or tear from the leverage of the thicker bar.
20140418_142859.jpg
Have fun!

·
I Need A Vacation
13,818 Posts
I updated the post with the suggested retail prices.
Not very expensive. Even after you factor in parts it comes out to around $100. Definitely an option rather than getting the Eibach RSB which is 19mm iirc and more expensive or the Progress 22mm or 24mm RSB which are also more expensive but a little thicker. I ordered a Progress 24mm RSB last week. I wasn't sure which one to get but said what the heck just get the thickest one lol.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Was going to look into this myself, but figured I'd check here first to see if anyone beat me to it.

Looks like I'm in luck. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Glad to see someone picked one up and thank you for listing the parts needed. Where did you purchase the items from? Can you give us any feedback on the new bar? Was it worth it? any difference not worth it...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
Swiftoy said:
any difference not worth it...
And what is the thickness of the '12 Si bar?

I ask because knowing that difference would help in figuring the stiffness percentage change, and feel, going from one to the other.

I went from the stock 16 to an Alta 19 on my MINI and the difference in feel and handling was definitely there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And what is the thickness of the '12 Si bar?

I ask because knowing that difference would help in figuring the stiffness percentage change, and feel, going from one to the other.

I went from the stock 16 to an Alta 19 on my MINI and the difference in feel and handling was definitely there.
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/ap...ations/584-2012-honda-civic-body-chassis.html

The 2012 Si has a 15mm rear sway -- R18s have an impressive 11mm RSB! The 2013 Si has an 18mm rear sway. Whiteline has a chart that gives a general idea of the amount of torsional stiffness increase you'll get by installing a thicker sway at:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf

The 2014 oem route is definitely the best bang for the buck now -- there's no reason to buy the Eibach 19mm RSB anymore since you're going to pay at least $100 for that bar by itself and between $20-$50 more for bushings and brackets if you have an R18.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily want to change understeer to oversteer. I'd be looking for that fine line balance between the two. The 20 sounds perfect, unless it would make an LX/EX react differently (more oversteer) than an Si.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can feel the rear end come around more than with the stock 15mm RSB, just driving on the street. I'm pretty sure you can induce a little oversteer with the stock '12 18mm front bar. I didn't have the chance to track it or go autocrossing. Not taking that kind of chance on the streets. I installed the '13/'14 21mm FSB the next day. The car handles a bit more neutral now, but more planted and less roll on sweepers. Even with the HFP suspension. Not sure oversteer will come with the bigger front bar. So if you have a '12, don't mind some roll and a bit of an oversteer feel to the car, leave the front bar stock. There are other, better aftermarket options out there if you want more oversteer and performance. I just didn't want the squeaks of polyurethane bushings that come with aftermarket bars on this car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can feel the rear end come around more than with the stock 15mm RSB, just driving on the street. I'm pretty sure you can induce a little oversteer with the stock '12 18mm front bar. I didn't have the chance to track it or go autocrossing. Not taking that kind of chance on the streets. I installed the '13/'14 21mm FSB the next day. The car handles a bit more neutral now, but more planted and less roll on sweepers. Even with the HFP suspension. Not sure oversteer will come with the bigger front bar. So if you have a '12, don't mind some roll and a bit of an oversteer feel to the car, leave the front bar stock. There are other, better aftermarket options out there if you want more oversteer and performance. I just didn't want the squeaks of polyurethane bushings that come with aftermarket bars on this car.
Going with a larger bar in front will induce understeer not oversteer. If you want to get some oversteer then go with a bigger rear bar 22mm to 24 mm with the stock front 21mm bar which will push the bias more towards oversteer. If you want to tweak things a bit more then buy some camber bolts for the front and add a little negative camber -1.0 to -1.25+/- these cars have practically none from the factory. You will increase front end grip and improve the handling overall. Glad to hear you benefited from the upgrade, and the price was right!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
What are the dimensions of the LX/EX front bar as compared to the Si?

I ask because if the LX/EX front bar is thinner than the Si's, I'm thinking that going with a rear bar that balances an Si would induce oversteer too easily in an LX/EX.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen, kaneda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks,

I picked up a used 2012 Si sedan this spring.

I had read about the eibach rear sway bar upgrade, and then I saw this thread. Are the coupe/sedan rear sway bars inter-changeable?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
My stock LX plows a little when cornering aggressively. Now that I have larger contact patches, a larger rear bar seems like a good idea.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts