9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Civic feels like it is dragging on the highway and I can't figure out why. This is especially noticeable around 70+mph. I'm thinking it could be the undercarriage. I bought the car used and I've inspected the undercarriage after to find that the shield which is towards the front of the car and closer to the engine was partially held on by zip ties. This makes me think it might not even be the original shield which is compatible with this model.

Any tips or common issues with drag for 9th gen Civics?

PS the car runs 17x7.5 with 215/45/17 tires

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish I could help you but I literally took my shield off and replaced it with a aftermarket splitter and also cut my rear bumper lol. I mean I don’t experience drag anymore and my gas consumption has gotten better tho lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could help you but I literally took my shield off and replaced it with a aftermarket splitter and also cut my rear bumper lol. I mean I don’t experience drag anymore and my gas consumption has gotten better tho lol
This actually helps a lot. I might just remove it tomorrow. There is a gap between the shield and the frame which makes me think it's trapping pockets of air and causing drag.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a fyi. Those screws for the belly shield are available on eBay or a dealership.
I have bought a set for replacement. Not expensive on eBay.
Let us know if you figure it out.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a fyi. Those screws for the belly shield are available on eBay or a dealership.
I have bought a set for replacement. Not expensive on eBay.
Let us know if you figure it out.
Good luck.

Are they the same as the push pin screws or something unique? I bought a set off Amazon (the push pin type that secure the fender liner, etc) but they don't seem to fit anywhere to secure the belly shield which came on my car (I don't know 100% if it's the factory one or not)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are they the same as the push pin screws or something unique? I bought a set off Amazon (the push pin type that secure the fender liner, etc) but they don't seem to fit anywhere to secure the belly shield which came on my car (I don't know 100% if it's the factory one or not)
No, there should be 5 screws for attaching the aluminum belly shield. That’s not the correct name but you get the idea.
I believe it’s called an undercarriage shield. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a picture of it. But here is a link to the screws on eBay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, there should be 5 screws for attaching the aluminum belly shield. That’s not the correct name but you get the idea.
I believe it’s called an undercarriage shield. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a picture of it. But here is a link to the screws on eBay.

Thanks for the link. I feel like at this point I might as well just remove it or buy a new one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I took the shield off today and went for a highway run.

Holy hell it fixed every problem. Car no longer wobbles, feels like there is no drag. I feel like I upgraded to an SI no joke. It was pulling 100 easy and getting 35mpg at 90mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay I took the shield off today and went for a highway run.

Holy hell it fixed every problem. Car no longer wobbles, feels like there is no drag. I feel like I upgraded to an SI no joke. It was pulling 100 easy and getting 35mpg at 90mph.
Great. I’m glad it worked out.
I’ve had my 2015 Honda Civic Lx since new and no issues.
One tip. When it comes time to change the CVT fluid, use only Honda HCF-2 transmission fluid.
Enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great. I’m glad it worked out.
I’ve had my 2015 Honda Civic Lx since new and no issues.
One tip. When it comes time to change the CVT fluid, use only Honda HCF-2 transmission fluid.
Enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I gotta do my CVT fluid for sure because I'm at 68k miles. I'll probably take it to a service center not sure I'm going to do it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts