9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
MPGs sell cars. Being from the car business I can tell you that I've NEVER sold a car to a guy like us. People buy cars for transportation, we don't even represent a BLIP on Honda's radar.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
The last thing I buy a car like the si for is gas mileage.If it puts a smile on my face,than that is the car for me.I love my si but I too wish
it had 20 more horsies.I also pray they bring the R model to the states.

·
Registered
763 Posts
MPGs sell cars. Being from the car business I can tell you that I've NEVER sold a car to a guy like us. People buy cars for transportation, we don't even represent a BLIP on Honda's radar.

Yeah, my gf's dad was shopping between Ford Focuses and was dwelling between a 1 or 2 MPG difference between the SE and whatever the hell other model there was.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does it run on 87 or 91? the k24z7 runs 91 or 93 but if new DI2.4 use 87 I say thats ok.

Yep, looks like you called it. New DI 2.4L for the TLX is a measly 206hp, 181 lb-ft. The 35mpg highway is pretty good though. I'm sure they could have tuned it for 220hp and maybe gotten 30mpg or something, but in this day and age it's all about the MPGs.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Yeah, my gf's dad was shopping between Ford Focuses and was dwelling between a 1 or 2 MPG difference between the SE and whatever the hell other model there was.
If he is shopping for a Ford Focus than he should be focusing pardon the pun on reliability not MPG.:shades:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The K20Z3 put out almost the same power as the K24Z7 puts down. Clearly Honda went backwards if they've only managed to squeeze out 8 more hp from an engine with almost 20% more displacement. I believe the lower rev limit and having vtec on only the intake side of the cams hurt it. 220 hp should have been easily obtainable from an engine with 20% more displacement.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
The K20Z3 put out almost the same power as the K24Z7 puts down. Clearly Honda went backwards if they've only managed to squeeze out 8 more hp from an engine with almost 20% more displacement. I believe the lower rev limit and having vtec on only the intake side of the cams hurt it. 220 hp should have been easily obtainable from an engine with 20% more displacement.
Your shy a few horse and off by about 40 lbs of torque.
Gaining that much torque isnt exactly easy.
The 2.0 makes it's power real high up and the 2.4 makes it sooner.
Sooner power is king.
I think you have it backwards.
What good is it to have say 2 nearly identical engines with 2 nearly identical gearboxes and although they make the same power one can make it sooner and a higher torque output?yeah I think most would go with sooner is better.I think Honda is got a good thing,they just need to play around with the smog design a bit more.
no matter how much people bitch and complain about a single exhaust port,tough shit.
There is only a handful of "tuners" that care about the single exhaust port or lack of exhaust vtec compared to the number of sales Honda makes on the civic.which BTW is second in sales to the accord right now.soooo yeah
The new k24w in the sport makes nearly 200 hp and nearly 200 lbs of torque at really low rpms.so if Honda dumps that in the next si it'd be REAL interesting.it gets my accord up to speed pretty damn quick and it has less hp than the si.so yeah

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
763 Posts
Your shy a few horse and off by about 40 lbs of torque.
Gaining that much torque isnt exactly easy.
The 2.0 makes it's power real high up and the 2.4 makes it sooner.
Sooner power is king.
I think you have it backwards.
What good is it to have say 2 nearly identical engines with 2 nearly identical gearboxes and although they make the same power one can make it sooner and a higher torque output?yeah I think most would go with sooner is better.I think Honda is got a good thing,they just need to play around with the smog design a bit more.
no matter how much people bitch and complain about a single exhaust port,tough shit.
There is only a handful of "tuners" that care about the single exhaust port or lack of exhaust vtec compared to the number of sales Honda makes on the civic.which BTW is second in sales to the accord right now.soooo yeah
The new k24w in the sport makes nearly 200 hp and nearly 200 lbs of torque at really low rpms.so if Honda dumps that in the next si it'd be REAL interesting.it gets my accord up to speed pretty damn quick and it has less hp than the si.so yeah

I think the K24Z7 and subsequently the K24W7 is somewhere in between the classic screaming Honda motor and the modern turbos. There's enough torque that you don't need to rev it to get acceleration, but it still likes to rev for people to do their VTEC yo! thing. If VTEC turbo can combine the best of both worlds, it will trounce the K24 in all categories with the only concern being turbo reliability.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I think the K24Z7 and subsequently the K24W7 is somewhere in between the classic screaming Honda motor and the modern turbos. There's enough torque that you don't need to rev it to get acceleration, but it still likes to rev for people to do their VTEC yo! thing. If VTEC turbo can combine the best of both worlds, it will trounce the K24 in all categories with the only concern being turbo reliability.
Knowing Honda they'll probably run a BB turbo from the beginning.a small one,for cost, but better than a standard turbo.
They would overengineer the engine for reliability sake.
Maybe along the lines of 5 or 6 bolts per cylinder,idk.
But even if Honda created a factory "quiet" vtec monster that could smoke ,say a gtr on a track,you'd still get all the fanboys yelling,"it ain't real vtec yo"
That is after the car flew by in typical ricer flyby fashion.

Oh well.
I don't mind change
I mind not able to own a CTR
oh well on to the next best thing a Renault Clio rs200.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Honda should veer away from turbo, go with a supercharger, It will tune better for gas mileage and produce the HP in a far more subtle way.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
I preferred the MINI's supercharger over it's later turbocharged cars, mainly because of the sound the supercharger makes. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Honda should veer away from turbo, go with a supercharger, It will tune better for gas mileage and produce the HP in a far more subtle way.
I always thought turbos got better gas mileage than superchargers because they're run off of exhaust pressure whereas superchargers as always spinning and spun by the engine. The new small displacement turboed cars today get really good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
In the past Honda has usually shunned away from doing what it's competitors do, all of their competitors are using turbo, Although a much cheaper way to substantiate more performance, turbo is wearing thin with me. A nice tuned supercharger would be much better. I would buy it quick. With a turbo, I would shop around.

Perhaps Honda will go turbo, Acura supercharged??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why not both; now that would be an innovation

Sent by Mike CST from the AutoGuide.com Free App
VW has been doing twincharging for a while now....they are killing it because it's just too expensive and modern twin scroll turbo's have near zero lag when sized and tuned correctly. Also supercharger's kill MPG's unless they can 100% decouple during cruise.

Who Killed The Twincharger? | The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's funny that you should say that because I have raced my 9thgen againts 3 8thgens and put a good hurting on each one. Mod for mod our cars were pretty equal only I was able to easily jump a couple car lenths ahead due to that torque. I agree that the K20 head is better is many ways, but it doesn't mean the K20 engine is a better power plant. I'm extremely impressed with the K24z7 motor. I have the I/H/E with a good e-tune and I walked a Focus-st, how is that not impressive? Not to mention that on the highway I average 43mpg.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts