9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Honda lost money with the Acura Integra Type R. I doubt they'll bring another R here.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Honda lost money with the Acura Integra Type R. I doubt they'll bring another R here.
Any other info you can supply with this post...such as why you think they did, the cost of the Acura version comparitively speaking to todays dollar value it would cost to purchase.???

I think a Honda version would be the way to go especially with that body style, same as the Acura style matched the badge. The new Type R hatch style doesn't look to me like a luxury model so to speak.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Any other info you can supply with this post...such as why you think they did, the cost of the Acura version comparitively speaking to todays dollar value it would cost to purchase.???

I think a Honda version would be the way to go especially with that body style, same as the Acura style matched the badge. The new Type R hatch style doesn't look to me like a luxury model so to speak.
$21,950 was the 'teg type R price in 2000
adjusted for inflation that's only $28902.26

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

It hasn't really been publicized but honda lost money with every type r that it sold. Search it, I'm pretty sure you can find that info somewhere.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
I'll take that all day long!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Very affordable IMO for the package you get.
Well look at the ILX pricing.. the ILX is a lot like the Integra was but minus the sport factor. Once again based off the civic platform and the pricing is similar to what a modern 'teg/rsx would be. They just decided to take a different approach rather than sporting it up.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Well look at the ILX pricing.. the ILX is a lot like the Integra was but minus the sport factor. Once again based off the civic platform and the pricing is similar to what a modern 'teg/rsx would be. They just decided to take a different approach rather than sporting it up.
They dumbed it down if anything. Completely disregarded performance.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
It hasn't really been publicized but honda lost money with every type r that it sold. Search it, I'm pretty sure you can find that info somewhere.
Much different time back then too. People were able to run V8 american muscle without being too overly concerned with fuel costs like nowadays. A performance package in more of a compact size from Honda would be widely received IMO. Daily commuters, such as myself, are looking for just this type of ride and forget about the Ford ST, I put way too many miles to have to worry about my car being found on the road dead. Gimme an Si with more of a mean streak [from the factory]...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Very affordable IMO for the package you get.
Exactly, the cost to engineer it was more than it was sold for. Just look at the specs of the car compared to others at it's time. 12 years later our car is still slower stock for stock. Honda basically built that to show people that they can build a beast track car and to boost Hondas reputation. It wasn't about making profit

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Exactly, the cost to engineer it was more than it was sold for. Just look at the specs of the car compared to others at it's time. 12 years later our car is still slower stock for stock. Honda basically built that to show people that they can build a beast track car and to boost Hondas reputation. It wasn't about making profit
LOL, costs more to engineer that what it sold for. In what way?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
LOL, costs more to engineer that what it sold for. In what way?

They sunk more money into engineering it than what they made back in profit. The r53 (first modern gen.) MINI was similar when they released it. It was 'over-engineered' and din't make much profit. That's why you can't buy an M3 for $35k...the engineering that is involved needs to be paid for.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Lol do I really have to give you every single detail? Damn go do some research.
Well, let's see, what I couldn't understand about your post was if you meant the cost to engineer vs one unit or vs total units sold. Honda pays engineers to build cars that sale thousands upon thousands of units and the basic concept is to make money doing that. I think you're highly underestimating Honda if you think they didn't make any money on that model. That's why I asked in what way, and if you post something that sounds totally ridiculous, then expect to be asked about it or provide the F'n details yourself.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Well, let's see, what I couldn't understand about your post was if you meant the cost to engineer vs one unit or vs total units sold. Honda pays engineers to build cars that sale thousands upon thousands of units and the basic concept is to make money doing that. I think you're highly underestimating Honda if you think they didn't make any money on that model. That's why I asked in what way, and if you post something that sounds totally ridiculous, then expect to be asked about it or provide the F'n details yourself.
Lol well I have people here providing further info to elaborate on what I was saying so it didn't sound ridiculous to them. Go read their posts.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
You had one person say the same thing you did and compared it to a mini. Again, no true sales/ profit numbers to back-up your statement. Since you keep running your mouth instead of providing factual information, I guess I can move on from this worthless conversation.... :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You had one person say the same thing you did and compared it to a mini. Again, no true sales/ profit numbers to back-up your statement. Since you keep running your mouth instead of providing factual information, I guess I can move on from this worthless conversation.... :)
Two actually. If you really care so much go search it up. The Integra type R motor is hand built oppose to ours being mass produced. And like another member mentioned, it was over engineered. They didn't make money on it cause there was a limited quanity go search it up. 1997 - 750, 1998 - 1100, 2000 - 1600, 2001 - 1600. Each port was buffed by hand, a lot of work put into those cars and they were only sold for 30k in todays money. Most people would buy an AWD sports car with that money or something with more braggin rights. Only us Honda Fans would buy a type R and thats a small number of us. Again man, go do some research this is the info I found when I was reading about it. If you don't believe me and want a source go find it and prove me wrong. I'm done with this conversation.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You guys realize that it's going to cost either just over or just under what an sti or an evo is going to cost right? Have you guys realized yet why Honda's goal is to make it the fastest fwd car on the nurburg ring...It's a statement they are going to make and with a statement that big comes a big price tag as well. Idk if they are still doing it but I heard rumor of all wheel steering...that's technology that hasn't been used since the days of the prelude (not including the Acura RLX that is getting it for 2014) reviving tech that old and then making even more advancements on it is a loooot of R&D so either they plan on taking a hit financially on this Type-R like past Type-R's or they plan on putting this in it's own class and charging all arms and legs for it.

Sent from my SCH-I545

21 - 40 of 111 Posts