9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Clearly some people take their Honda engines seriously. I will defer the detailed differences to those who know as I'm out of my league there. My point is that the typeR and GSR both used a 1.8L. Whatever design differences there are I don't know, but it's not as if the Type R used a significantly bigger or more powerful engine than its Si or GSR counterpart. That leads me to believe the Si will also be some 2L turbo variant, not the 1.5L turbo, as that is too big of a difference.
True. And I see your point. But, we aren't talking N/A anymore. It's much easier to get power out of a boosted engine then it is a N/A engine. And if the claim are that Honda is going to go through with boosting the Si from the factory then they are not going to give it the same displacement as the Type-R and put a turbo on it as well because that will put it's power output too close to the Type-R. At that point it's like "well why are we building a Type-R if the Si is going to be practically the same?" The answer is simple. They will not. The Si and Type-R are on two completely different playing fields stock for stock. They always have been and always will. SI stands for (Sports Injected) which means they are making the civic A LITTLE sporty. The Type-R means Type-Race which means it is a race ready built car and has the characteristics of a racing car. Now I get your point about them being somewhat similar in the past. But this is the present where tech is advancing more quickly than ever before and with today's new technology that is available and with different types of consumers becoming more segregated. There is no way the Si is getting a boosted 2.0L it will get a 1.5L. Even a 1.8L turbo would be pushing it. The reason I say the 1.5 is because on that link that was provided the power output was almost the same as our current K24z7 but even MORE torque around 30ft-lbs more. Which is what the people have been wanting is more torque. Turbos are the new replacement for displacement. NOW! This is not saying that the two engines won't be in the same family and won't be able to do a bottom end swap or even bore it out to a 2.0L and do a head swap like people have been doing with all Honda engines since forever. Or the Type-R could have it's very own line of engine like the NSX did with it's C series engine. Only time will tell. But my money is on the 1.5L turbo Si to compete with the sporty eco boxes starting to run around. Like the Dodge Dart and and the Focus st. Not to mention the smaller engine will hopefully mean weight savings as well.

Edit* also I mentioned the focus St even though it would have more power than the 1.5L Si that could easily be changed with some aftermarket bolt ons like intake, exhaust, bigger injectors a tune and could easily be pushing around 250hp I bet

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope they put better tires on it than the usdm SI gets

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've always been a hatchback person, sadly the hot hatch has never been super popular over here in north america as compared to its popularity in europe and asian countries. I don't honestly believe we will get any real type-r here in NA. We will get a toned down version with SI slapped on the back. It will likely be turbo'd and very possible it will be the same 2.0l power plant. It will just be tuned down beyond belief as to meet our strict emissions policies. I can only state the whatever we do get will only be a slight shadow of this purpose built machine is.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
I've always been a hatchback person, sadly the hot hatch has never been super popular over here in north america as compared to its popularity in europe and asian countries.
Beginning in the 1970s, hatchbacks in NA were marketed as economy cars in a country that still idolized Sedan deVilles. American cars didn't even begin to shrink until 1977 when the full sized Chevys were toned down and sharpened up. Then they blew up a little again in the early '90s, and were finally brought down to their current smaller size around 2000 (I'm using the Caprice/Impala as an example).

Most of Europe and Asia have been driving overall smaller cars for ages, while we were driving land yachts. Europe had no 1960s pony car wars - mass produced, big, heavy, high horsepower cars for the masses.

So, years later, European manufacturers offered, and Europeans bought what was available to them - high performance cars based on the platforms that fit into their reality - small cars, many of them hatchbacks, hence the hot-hatch.

I don't honestly believe we will get any real type-r here in NA. We will get a toned down version with SI slapped on the back. It will likely be turbo'd and very possible it will be the same 2.0l power plant. It will just be tuned down beyond belief as to meet our strict emissions policies. I can only state the whatever we do get will only be a slight shadow of this purpose built machine is.
Hatchbacks had their hey day here, beginning in the '70s, and last through the early 2000s. These days, there are not as many of them on the road mainly because the companies that have traditionally offered them, don't, or do in smaller numbers.

Why? Because Americans don't like small cars! That is, they don't like small cars that look like small cars. Nothing says 'small car' more than a hatchback! That's why you see small cars that, for the most part, look like traditional sedans. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia - all their best sellers are sedans because that what Americans want - a car that doesn't look like a cheap economy car.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
I would LOVE to see another SI hatch come over!
+1 would love to see a 4 door Si hatch. Hatches are so versatile if you ever owned one you will know.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
+2. I could carry more in my Rabbit than in any other car of that size I have owned in 37 years.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
+3 I fit a full house generator in the back of my MINI back when the northeast had that crazy October snowstorm. The crew at the store laughed when I told them what car it was going into. Funny thing is, it never would've fit into a sedan as I needed the height of a hatchback.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,140 Posts
I used to haul around my entire African drum kit ensemble in my MINI. Djembe, 3 dununs, stand, bags. It all fit (with the rear seats folded down). Sometimes when I brought my daughter it was kind of tight but we always got there, and in style, if I do say so, myself. :)

101 - 111 of 111 Posts