9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I got a 2015 hatchback and I love the thing, except for the plastic trim around the wheel well. My car is black, and the plastic is also black, but the plastic trim is matte black and often looks gray and ugly.

I've been googling, but I cant figure out what this thing is called. I'd like to either color match it to the body or remove it completely. Does anyone know what it looks like under these plastic trim pieces? I've added a picture to make it more clear what I'm talking about (not my car, taken from google just for reference)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
I Need A Vacation
14,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't remove it that body piece is part of the design of the car. You can paint it. Obviously that piece is weathered and dried out. What I would do is apply rubber and trim detailer to those pieces to bring it back to life and continue to apply trim detailer to those pieces regularly to keep them looking fresh.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,804 Posts
I bought this stuff back when I had a MINI Cooper. Works well.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
993 Posts
I bought this stuff back when I had a MINI Cooper. Works well.

Interesting. What would you compare it to using Mother's Back to Black? It's the only trim restorer I've used and seems OK, but it's been a while since I last used it.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,804 Posts
Interesting. What would you compare it to using Mother's Back to Black? It's the only trim restorer I've used and seems OK, but it's been a while since I last used it.
I've never used that product so I can't compare them.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,460 Posts
I've never really had a lot of luck with traditional trim restorers even though I've used many different brands over the years. Being gel or liquid based they all tend to wash away easily after a couple rain falls. Recently I've been using Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coating and Turtle Wax Seal N Shine on exterior plastic trim. Just spray on a MF cloth and apply, leaves a nice semi gloss matte finish and lasts much much longer than stuff like Mothers back to black.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
993 Posts
I've never used that product so I can't compare them.
I figured as much, no need to try a different product if one already works for you.

I've never really had a lot of luck with traditional trim restorers even though I've used many different brands over the years. Being gel or liquid based they all tend to wash away easily after a couple rain falls. Recently I've been using Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coating and Turtle Wax Seal N Shine on exterior plastic trim. Just spray on a MF cloth and apply, leaves a nice semi gloss matte finish and lasts much much longer than stuff like Mothers back to black.
Interesting, I have some left and never thought about using it on trim. I'd have to try it and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts