9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a case of the first gear whines, its not too bad at the moment but dont want it to get any worse. When starting off first gear I sometimes get this whining noise from the front of the car. This is apparently a common issue with 9th gen si's. My car was leased in 2015 and I have 44,500 miles, would my car be covered under the powertrain warranty that comes with every honda? 5 year or 60,000 mile warranty. I only ask because I called a dealer was told I have absolutely no warranties, which is odd because I thought every honda came with the powertrain warranty?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

It was leased by whom? We are past the 3 years of a typical lease. Did you buy it off lease, or buy out the car on your own lease?

Was the trans fluid changed at ~30k miles?

Here is the warranty situation:

and it is transferable, as far as I know.

I'd call another dealer. They are not all as cooperative as we would like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to 9th gen.

It was leased by whom? We are past the 3 years of a typical lease. Did you buy it off lease, or buy out the car on your own lease?

Was the trans fluid changed at ~30k miles?

Here is the warranty situation:

and it is transferable, as far as I know.

I'd call another dealer. They are not all as cooperative as we would like.
Leased by me about 4 years ago, chose to buy the car so i took out a loan. The transmission fluid was never changed. Thinking of calling honda customer service at this point and situating it all

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Not being able to hear the noise. I assume the noise you refer to is the clutch squeal, growl, etc when starting from a stop in 1st gear. This noise can be replicated most often when starting from a stop on an incline, IE a truck loading ramp...
Yes, this noise is a well known condition that far as I know Honda has never acknowledged nor counter measured.
That is there are no "up dated" clutch parts to permanently repair "the noise."
The noise IS just a noise and while it can be obnoxious does not affect the function or durability of the clutch.

Replacing the transmission fluid will have zero affect on the clutch noise.
At 44k miles I strongly suggest replacing the fluid at the next service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with honda customer service, I do in fact have the warranty, a dealership 1 town over just didnt want to admit I had it. Thank god, I cant afford a clutch job D:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not being able to hear the noise. I assume the noise you refer to is the clutch squeal, growl, etc when starting from a stop in 1st gear. This noise can be replicated most often when starting from a stop on an incline, IE a truck loading ramp...
Yes, this noise is a well known condition that far as I know Honda has never acknowledged nor counter measured.
That is there are no "up dated" clutch parts to permanently repair "the noise."
The noise IS just a noise and while it can be obnoxious does not affect the function or durability of the clutch.

Replacing the transmission fluid will have zero affect on the clutch noise.
At 44k miles I strongly suggest replacing the fluid at the next service.

Really? I have heard that the pressure plate and clutch need replacing just in case things go south. But hearing that its just a noise, im guessing the pressure plate is the issue. In any case I will take it to Honda before my warranty expires and see what they tell me.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Really? I have heard that the pressure plate and clutch need replacing just in case things go south. But hearing that its just a noise, im guessing the pressure plate is the issue. In any case I will take it to Honda before my warranty expires and see what they tell me.
As I said the replacement parts will be no different than what is currently in the car.
So even if the dealer replaces the clutch (which I will be surprised if they do) the noise WILL reappear in the future.

When at the dealer, make sure you demonstrate the noise to, preferably, a Technician.
Then good luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said the replacement parts will be no different than what is currently in the car.
So even if the dealer replaces the clutch (which I will be surprised if they do) the noise WILL reappear in the future.

When at the dealer, make sure you demonstrate the noise to, preferably, a Technician.
Then good luck...
I totally understand, even if the parts are replaced, the sound will come back eventually. I got my fingers crossed so lets hope I can find a somewhat honest dealership!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I totally understand, even if the parts are replaced, the sound will come back eventually. I got my fingers crossed so lets hope I can find a somewhat honest dealership!
The honesty of the dealer is not an issue... it's them getting paid by Honda for the warranty repair.
Clutch and brakes are considered normal wear items. Thus do not fall under the warranty which is for defective parts or workmanship. I know you could argue the noise is a defect... but it's still up to AHM to pay the dealer for the repair.

If the dealer does not seem sympathetic to your request for clutch replacement.
Request a meeting with the Honda District Service Manager and plead your case to him or her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The honesty of the dealer is not an issue... it's them getting paid by Honda for the warranty repair.
Clutch and brakes are considered normal wear items. Thus do not fall under the warranty which is for defective parts or workmanship. I know you could argue the noise is a defect... but it's still up to AHM to pay the dealer for the repair.

If the dealer does not seem sympathetic to your request for clutch replacement.
Request a meeting with the Honda District Service Manager and plead your case to him or her.
This is all very helpful info, I do appreciate you telling me. Im going to do some more research before diving into it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2012 Si a few years ago. Took it to a Honda dealer and told them about the technical service bulletin (TSB) that a friend found for me online. They replaced my clutch plate, throw out bearing and pressure plate. They also resurfaced my flywheel and it was all still under warranty as I got this done before I hit 60k miles. Took about a week for the work to get done but they gave me a rental for the time being. I believe the Technical Service Bulletin number is SB-10-11. Got all of this done for free which saved a lot of money. Hope this helps because I know how annoying that sound is!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2012 Si a few years ago. Took it to a Honda dealer and told them about the technical service bulletin (TSB) that a friend found for me online. They replaced my clutch plate, throw out bearing and pressure plate. They also resurfaced my flywheel and it was all still under warranty as I got this done before I hit 60k miles. Took about a week for the work to get done but they gave me a rental for the time being. I believe the Technical Service Bulletin number is SB-10-11. Got all of this done for free which saved a lot of money. Hope this helps because I know how annoying that sound is!
After reading this post and fearing I missed something regarding a service bulletin.
I rechecked Honda Service Express (see link in my sig) for a bulletin for 9th gen Civic and clutch noise.
There was none.
The number you post above SB-10-11 is invalid.
If this were a good number it would have been posted in the year 2010. 2 years before 9th gen was released.

If you can find the bulletin you speak of it would be a great help to the OP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2012 Honda Civic Si just hit 90K miles. Just now noticing a clunking sound, which I imagine is just normal wear & tear on the clutch side. I'm going to upgrade to a 50% stronger Street level type clutch. My Factory clutch probably would have lasted longer if I didn't put a 100+ pound JL Audio 13" ProWedge Subwoofer box in my trunk, but it was worth it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I got a case of the first gear whines, its not too bad at the moment but dont want it to get any worse. When starting off first gear I sometimes get this whining noise from the front of the car. This is apparently a common issue with 9th gen si's. My car was leased in 2015 and I have 44,500 miles, would my car be covered under the powertrain warranty that comes with every honda? 5 year or 60,000 mile warranty. I only ask because I called a dealer was told I have absolutely no warranties, which is odd because I thought every honda came with the powertrain warranty?
Being a old time Honda owner of 62 yo I’ve never had any clutch problems with any of my manual transmission Honda’s. I’ve owned about 5, all manual transmissions. Until my 2012 si, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard the clutch squelch at about 30,000 miles. I baby this car mostly, just drive 20 to 30 miles per week. Then to hear Honda won’t honor their own cars and admit there is a problem, it just Makes me sick, My next car will be a Toyota, I’ll take my money elsewhere. Honda can keep there dishonest sales tactic and crappy transmissions. Even with all the evidence on YouTube and the internet, they just pretend there is nothing wrong. Clutches should not make these noises unless there is something wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts