9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The other day Acura teased its upcoming 2016 ILX sedan by releasing a darkened photo of the car. It revealed next to nothing, but fortunately we can do much better than that; we’ve got an entire gallery of spy photos.

The car was caught with its pants down so to speak, out in the blinding desert sun. The littlest Acura will borrow some styling cues from its TLX big brother but it also resembles the Honda Civic Si in some ways.

The car’s headlamps and front fascia appear to be more aggressive than what’s on today’s version. The body-side appears to have received some tweaking as well, but the big story is ‘round back. The ILX’s booty is dramatically different, with much more aggressive styling elements and surface details.

SEE ALSO: 2015 Acura TLX Review

This compact luxury car is expected to receive new powertrains as well. The 2.0-liter four-cylinder base engine is rumored to get a boost to 170 hp; torque will likely climb as well. Thanks to Honda’s “Earth Dreams” technology it might even get more efficient. The optional 2.4-liter unit is expected to be matched to an automatic transmission instead of just a manual, which is the case with today’s version of the car. This should make it appeal to many more customers.

Look for the 2016 Acura ILX to formally debut at next month’s L.A. Auto Show. And we’ll be there in California bringing you the latest news from this critically important motoring event, so stay tuned for more.
See more 2016 Acura ILX spy photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
If the 2.4L comes with the manual and the tech package... I wouldn't mind buying one

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Yea I can see it has the RLX's Jewel Eyes too.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I still think the lack of exhaust out the back on the new acuras looks really dumb.
I agree, honda must do more to separate the ilx from the civic. Right now the ilx isn't doing anything for the brand

·
Registered
754 Posts
First things first. Way to repost. More pics here.
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/109025-new-2016-ilx-mmc-takes-more-civic.html

gonna order the jewel eyes headlights & led tail lights when it's available
Im thinking the full rear bumper and front bumper + grill will be interchangeable as well. I however am only interested in what you mentioned... the tails and heads. As well a touch screen if they make one that can be swapped out.

I'm not really seeing much difference with the previous ILX model; a few tweaks here and there. Is this supposed to be a new model or a refresh?
The front bumper is new. The area around the fog lights and lower air dam have been reshaped. Grill resembles one of the concepts they made for an SUV a lil while back. And headlights have the new Acura trademark jewel eyes.

New drive terrain has been hinted at but no specifically stated what it will be. New interior design so probably mimicking the TLX.

Tail lights are new, look like LEDs finally.
Whole rear bumper has been reshaped. Much sharper around the reflectors and probably black accents like the civic front bumper.

Also new wheels.

It is a Mid Model Change; so just a refresh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wish my 2015 would have come with the jewel eyes....they are really growing on me.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I figured Acura would go ahead and just make an all new ILX instead of refresh it. Now that they're refreshing it 3 years after the release, does that push back the release of the new model? In my opinion it would have made more sense to use their resources to make an all new model and release it 2016/2017 to boost poor sales.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think it looks dramatically better.

I loved the silhouette of the current ILX, but the styling was FAR too sedate for my tastes. The back end looked cheap and an afterthought (the lack of exhaust showing also didn't do it any favors). The taillights looked cheap and there was nothing going for the bumper. The front was fine, if not plain.

This addresses both, and then some. About the only thing I don't care for is the wheels. I loathe torqued wheels - reminds me of mid 90s GM. But I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I could afford one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I figured Acura would go ahead and just make an all new ILX instead of refresh it. Now that they're refreshing it 3 years after the release, does that push back the release of the new model? In my opinion it would have made more sense to use their resources to make an all new model and release it 2016/2017 to boost poor sales.
It generally takes about 4-6 years to develop a new vehicle on a new platform. They would have had to know before launch that sales were going to suck in order to meet that kind of timing (and that would defeat the purpose of launching a new model). If you've never driven one, they're honestly not bad cars. With an aggressive face and some actual luxury car features (DCT, IDS, active safety), I think it'd have a shot against the rest of it's market. I'm curious to see what rolls onto the floor in LA next month.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts