9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sometimes, success can be a detriment.

The Honda Civic Coupe has been so accepted and so embraced by the youth car culture that it has gained the unfortunate reputation in some circles as being nothing more than a kid’s tuner car. But in reality, it’s a lot more than that. The Civic Coupe is bought by people of all ages and demographics that seek an economical, practical and fun-to-drive compact.

And as of 2016, it’s now a survivor. With the recent announcement that the Scion tC will cease to exist after this summer, Honda’s small coupe is left with just one, true competitor – the Kia Forte Koup. But rather than rest on the brand’s laurels and watch the cash roll in, Honda has introduced an all-new Civic Coupe for 2016 that may just be the best one yet.

Love it or leave it, the styling that debut on the 2016 Civic Sedan is present and accounted for on the Coupe. But, like what typically happens during the metamorphosis from four- to two-doors, the Civic looks much better in coupe form – especially around its hind quarters. From some angles, it almost looks like a two-door hatchback, bringing back fond, teary-eyed EG and EJ memories for Civic diehards.

Under the shiny sheet metal are the same mechanics as found in the sedan. That means a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making 158 hp and 138 lb-ft is standard, while a 1.5-liter turbocharged powerplant making 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque is optional. As is the case with the sedan, a six-speed manual transmission can be had in the base Civic Coupe while the rest of the lineup comes with a continuously variable transmission – for now.

Read more about the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe Review at AutoGuide.com.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,344 Posts
The entire roof line and window area looks like an old Chevy Cobalt.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I like the look of it, but seriously the engine is under powered and no manual transmission is a joke.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Toyota did this in the 90s, they get better sales then just making a car for youth, when is the last sports car you saw that was a Toyota since 1998? The 2000 Celica and that was not quik by any means. People want "sporty" not the hassle of it though.

·
Registered
989 Posts
AutomaticTransmission.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Toyota did this in the 90s, they get better sales then just making a car for youth, when is the last sports car you saw that was a Toyota since 1998? The 2000 Celica and that was not quik by any means. People want "sporty" not the hassle of it though.
lol in my local area there is a guy who has drives a faded yellow celica-gt thats lowered and has aftermarket wheels, exhaust, euro lights, and a hilariously huge ricer sti-of-the-era-style spoiler.

i dunno why, but i laugh every time i see it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^ Indeed the 1.5T is a very nice all around setup.

I don't understand Honda's fascination with chrome, outside of that I think it looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
This is just an EX. the 1.5 turbo is one of the quickest cars in the class, if it's underpowered what does that make the r18?
You got me there. I guess I was making a comment more related to the size of the engine, not related to the trim. I understand the turbo levels the playing field for acceleration, but I'm just not a fan of such a small displacement 4 cylinder engine.

Plus, I feel that slapping a turbo on a car and making ~ 175 crank HP is just lame. Don't get me wrong, for the EX trim, it's great. Just in general, they are greatly holding back from what the technology could actually do.

The price point dictates that to some extent. And plus, you can't have an EX with 210 HP. The Si would then have to be closer to 240-250 HP, which is getting way up there for an Si price point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the car. I am surprised Honda has offered different colors for the coupe than the sedan.

Shocked that awesome green wasn't an Si or type R exclusive color.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the coupe looks awesome. As for the insight. That car was more function over looks. It was all about the MPGs with the Insight

·
I Need A Vacation
13,239 Posts
The shape of the car from the side looks like a bigger Scion TC and that's not very flattering, if they were going to make it look like a Scion they should of made it look the the FRS instead lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts