9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
2016+ Honda Civic Forum

The 9th generation Civic never really seemed to get it right.

Class average rather than a class leader, the 2012-2015 seemed to have lost some of that Mojo Honda compacts are world famous for.

Well, for 2016 it appears that the Civic is back. Rebuilt from the ground up the new 10th generation Civic is nothing like last year’s model.

Completely New

Honda claims this is the biggest complete redesign the Civic has ever received. The goal with the 10th generation car is to recapture some of the sporty character the Civic used to be known for, but was lacking in the last generation. It’s two inches wider and one inch lower, built on a 1.2-inch longer wheelbase.

The new look has a lot of 2016 Accord up front and a blend of Insight, Crosstour and FCV Clarity in the back. Sitting ahead of the large front fender flares are available LED headlights, much like Acura’s jewel eyes. As well, LED daytime running lights and LED taillights are standard

New Power Plants

The news under the skin is just as dramatic as the car’s new look. The regular Civic will feature two all-new four-cylinder engines, a 2.0-liter and a 1.5-liter turbocharged unit. This is the first time Honda has ever offered a turbocharged engine in North America and claims it will have class leading performance, which means expect power levels to be high.

The turbocharged engine will come in EX-T, EX-L and Touring trims of the Civic. The two liter engine found in the LX Civic won’t be a slouch either as Honda claims it’s the most powerful base engine ever put in a Civic.

At the global debut of the new car, Honda PR boss Save Marie announced that the base 2.0-liter engine would make 158 hp while the turbocharged 1.5-liter will deliver 174-hp.

Honda is being vague when it comes to fuel economy ratings but claims the Civic should get in excess of 40 mpg on the highway, thanks in part to a twelve percent improvement in aerodynamics.

Read more about the 2016 Honda Civic at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yep still disappointed. For the average person that doesn't even know what brand of car they are driving, it's actually not bad and probably the target audience.

Tuning that 1.5L Turbo to push an extra 10-20% could be promising for owners that don't get the Si they wanted. Had my mind set on a type R but I'm not dropping that kind of money for one.

^ Yeah... hate electronic parking brakes and I'm most sad about the loss of the double dash.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
yeah, electronic parking brakes eliminate the ability to slide around in the snow with front wheel drives! guess i'm keeping my 9th gen for awhile now! last one to have mechanical parking brake!!!

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Yea ok no SI?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
I don't love the new dash, but I don't hate it, either.

I can see, though, how the tach wrapped around the digital speedo can make it easier than our current setup to keep an eye on both gauges simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I like most of it, but I want to know:

a) curb weight compared with 8th and 9th gen (which meet the same crash requirements)
b) est. city/hwy mileage for the CVT model (if it's not 40 highway, they are going down-market)
c) Will the rear-end look better seeing it in person? In pictures I'm not convinced at all. That being said, the 9th Gen rear-end doesn't look great, either, without a wing. If I had an LX/EX I'd be installing an Si wing on it or else I wouldn't drive it. :)
d) What will the Si look like?.... Will it still be an an affordable alternative to an overpriced terrible-shifting, hard-clutch WRX... Will the new hugeness kill it? Then again the new WRX is kinda huge, too.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yep still disappointed. For the average person that doesn't even know what brand of car they are driving, it's actually not bad and probably the target audience.

Tuning that 1.5L Turbo to push an extra 10-20% could be promising for owners that don't get the Si they wanted. Had my mind set on a type R but I'm not dropping that kind of money for one.

^ Yeah... hate electronic parking brakes and I'm most sad about the loss of the double dash.
The big plus for a turbo is that most likely it can be tuned up to 210hp or so safely with a tune.... the down side is that Honda is warranty-void-happy. I did an upgrade on my Passat 1.8L Turbo, but I bought an ENTIRE replacement ECU, so that I could swap them back and forth for dealer visits... Hmm.. .is that an option?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have to admit that rear end looks a little better in that video than it did in those pictures that got put up last week. Still not entirely convinced I should have waited for the 10th gen though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yikes. I don't think there is anything at all visually appealing about that car. :sad: Thank goodness I have a 9th [and 5th] gen!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I knew there would be a new 2.0 liter. At my internship this summer worked under the guy who made the cylinder boring tool for it. I'm wondering if the 2.0 won't get stuck into the Si with a turbo put on it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Is the base engine a 2.0L n/a now or the 1.5L baby turbo?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
Is the base engine a 2.0L n/a now or the 1.5L baby turbo?
According to the above release, the 2.0 will be in the LX, and the 1.5 turbo will be in the EXs and Touring models. The Si has been unaccounted for in that article.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts