9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Everything but the rear sits okay with me and I think as far as modability(As far as the turbo 1.5 anyways), 3"Turboback exhaust, better flowing fmic, and a proper tune could net some pretty good gains for price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am hoping for the SI to have the 2.0 liter turbo. For Honda to benchmark the GTI, they will have to have the 2.0 liter. Pushing a 1.5 liter to 210 hp, there is not too much room for modding. It also will be tough for them to compete with GTI because their GTI engine being underrated. I think a problem lies in if Honda is planning on making the Type R a limited edition. So they may not want it easy to get the similar type of performance by simple mods to gen 10 SI. This may be the reason for the 1.5 liter in the SI. Most other car companies are added awd to keep this from happening (Focus RS, Golf R). My $0.02.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Whoever thinks a 1.5 doesn't net much as far as HP,hasn't been around the Honda scene long enough.
Can one build a safe reliable boosted 1.5.yes and no.
Yes because its been done for years.no because people are stupid and think driving a turbo engine is just like,turn on the key and punch it.so there would go reliability.

As far as it being possible,yes very much so

I'm fairly certain it will be a destroked 1.8 of some sort.Honda being Honda might have built a 1.8 or even 2.0 block,destroked it.strong cylinders and closed block for that Honda reliability. Short stroke for quick acceleration to aid in bridging the turbo lag gap.
Maybe even 10:1 compression or higher.
Small turbo enough to keep cost down and more than likely garret .

Direct injection is fine as long as you maintain it properly and do the "extra" step necessary such as induction cleaning.
Still much to speculate as of now.just good guesses from previous Honda endeavours

As far a boosting a 1.5 HP wise,you can do around 400 HP .that tends to top out a 1.5 Lt

If its possible with an ancient sohc then I don't see why its not possible with a new dohc DI.
For those that don't know,DI is even better for a turbo engine since the direct fuel coming in helps cool the piston thus adding some reliability to a boosted motor.

Right from the factory I'm sure it'll be tuned as an overall tune and could be tweaked with a better intake and exhaust easily.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great comment Effbee6fromthe209, True a 1.5 can be modded to 400hp. It is probably more with D.I. For example, VW was running 540hp out of a 1.6 on one of its rally cars. You can make an engine to match this hp but it will come at a price. But it is harder to make it reliable with horsepower output goes up even to 300hp on that 1.5 and becomes pricy. Most people will not want to spend the that type of money to get 300hp out of 1.5 liter.

With your comment on it being a 1.8 liter, IMO I don't see the 1.8 liter being used just in the SI. It is not cost effective for a 1.8 if it is not already in the civic line up. They don't sell enough SI's for a stand alone 1.8 liter. We have seen how manufacturers will try to save money on using parts across a range of vehicles. The 2.0 liter and 1.5 liter would be more likely the choices since they are already developed for use in the cars.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Great comment Effbee6fromthe209, True a 1.5 can be modded to 400hp. It is probably more with D.I. For example, VW was running 540hp out of a 1.6 on one of its rally cars. You can make an engine to match this hp but it will come at a price. But it is harder to make it reliable with horsepower output goes up even to 300hp on that 1.5 and becomes pricy. Most people will not want to spend the that type of money to get 300hp out of 1.5 liter.

With your comment on it being a 1.8 liter, IMO I don't see the 1.8 liter being used just in the SI. It is not cost effective for a 1.8 if it is not already in the civic line up. They don't sell enough SI's for a stand alone 1.8 liter. We have seen how manufacturers will try to save money on using parts across a range of vehicles. The 2.0 liter and 1.5 liter would be more likely the choices since they are already developed for use in the cars.
That doesn't make sense since the crv will be revamped and the current crv and Si share the same motor.not to mention we will get a 5 door hatch so that will more than likely be a heavier car or similar to the current tsx wagon.

So it won't be a singular engine used on only one model.
That's why I said it very well could be a destroked 2 liter for the ex trims and the Si will get the 2 liter similar to that of the current k24 earth dreams motors that are simply a k24z with a reworked head for DI.

The ctr might get a stroked 2.0 to a 2.2 which the current ctr has and it might very well be the same base plant for the Si but tuned differently with maybe a smaller turbo or something else.Honda has done this for years and years.I don't see them deviating much from the same game plan that has worked for years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
178 bhp out of a 1.5 Turbo is a bit 'meh' in my opinion but then I'm the type of person who'd want the Si or the TypeR but don't have the money so I'll have to deal with it I guess. If there are bolt-ons that come out then maybe it won't be so bad.

Will there be a Manual trans. for the EXT? I really hope so. I did read on another website that only the LX and the EX (N/A) would have the manual and EXT,EX-L and Touring would have the CVT. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and what are the chances that Honda remakes this car after a few months with new features? I mean they did do it with the 9th gen... Literally 2 months after we got the 2012 EX they released the 2013... so idk.

Design wise its much much better. Definitely will turn heads. ("Omg it's a Honda? I thought it was an Audi or something") . But I will miss that 2 tier dash and the mechanical handbrake.

So do I like it? Yes and No. I'll wait a few months to a year after its initial release before thinking about getting it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The press will never let the 2012 sedan go.

If the '13 had been released as the '12, I feel that much of the negative press would not have occurred.
Agreed. That '12 really gave the 9th gen a bad rap. But, we know better and love our cars.
The 9th is growing on me from the front. But that's about it. the side screams CrossTour meets 2001-2006 Elantra Hatch. And the overhang in the back huge. Ok, the interior is nice but, I have really become a fan of the double dash, especially the speedo at the top. It's the next closest thing to a heads up display.
Needless to say I'm VERY happy with my '15 Si.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As a current 8thgen and recent 9thgen (4 months now), i'm really hoping 10thgen SI comes with a 2.0L Turbo motor. i cant see myself driving an SI with a 1.5L. As some have said already, seems like that would be a downgrade. And of course i would get a type R if it comes at a decent price (because i refuse to pay $10k markup on msrp). id even trade both my SI's in a heartbeat, lol

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The new 2.0 liter is a K20 that is port injected, it is not direct injection but the 1.5 liter turbo is direct injection

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The new 2.0 liter is a K20 that is port injected, it is not direct injection but the 1.5 liter turbo is direct injection
It's a K20? I figured it was an R20....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't get all the press about the 9th gen (at least a recent model) I honestly think its one of the most attractive cars ! Sure its missing somethings (e.g. LED lighting) but I find the look very elegant while still sporty (at least the ex-l / touring model), also love the 2 tier dash. And what's up with bashing the interior finishing (again at least on the ex-l) it seems to offer just about the same things they're claiming for the 10th gen ex-l model, in terms of the leather stitching / soft touch plastics.

In terms of the 10th gen look I think some folks will like it, it has a more muscular feel, but I don't find it quite as elegant.
Funny thing is that the majority will probably find the 10th gen more elegant than the 9th gen LOL

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
It is not unheard of to drop down displacement when boosting an existing engine. Psychologically (which is important in car and bike design), 2.4 to 1.5 is too big a drop. 2.4 to 2.0 will be more palatable to the typical Si driver, judging by what I've been reading here.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There has been no word at work about when the Si will come but it is coming they might even wait till 2017 when the type r releases probably

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,102 Posts
It is not unheard of to drop down displacement when boosting an existing engine displacement. Psychologically (which is important in car and bike design), 2.4 to 1.5 is too big a drop. 2.4 to 2.0 will be more palatable to the typical Si driver, judging by what I've been reading here.
Corrected for technicality reasons.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It is not unheard of to drop down displacement when boosting an existing engine. Psychologically (which is important in car and bike design), 2.4 to 1.5 is too big a drop. 2.4 to 2.0 will be more palatable to the typical Si driver, judging by what I've been reading here.
Pretty much. There's not enough potential in a 1.5L turbo to be a performance model. If it's just over 200hp, you're approaching the feasible max for that displacement. Whereas, the VW 2.0T is known to make 320+ with JUST A CHIP/PROGRAM and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Can someone confirm that the base 2.0L is a K20 and not an R20? The K20 seems HIGHLY unlikely to me. If so, is it a new variant of the K20??

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I'm betting it's the R20.^^^^^

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
It won't be an r20 for sure.Honda wouldn't boost a stroked r18 as they would have to chisel away at the walls to make room for displacement further weakening the walls with boost wouldn't be feasible for Honda's grand entry to boost.

Like I said it will more than likely be a destroked de tuned twin cammer jammer.
Meaning it'll have potential to upgrade.

As of right now the turbo will only be available for CVT models.
So they are probably prepping against the "tuners" that will want to throw shit parts at the motors causing havoc on em.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Pretty much. There's not enough potential in a 1.5L turbo to be a performance model. If it's just over 200hp, you're approaching the feasible max for that displacement. Whereas, the VW 2.0T is known to make 320+ with JUST A CHIP/PROGRAM and nothing else.
A bone stock non VTEC sohc d15 can safely boost over 220 HP with just a stock block and proper fuel and mods.
Now a twin can,more than likely leaning towards the earth dreams 1.5 out of the fit ,will have decent potential.so if a sohc d15 VTEC with proper support can and does do over 400 HP easy.
Almost sad the k24 barely does that huh.kinda makes you scratch your head a bit.

Why must everyone think that a small displacement is limited so much.
It's like saying you can't rev a hayabusa to 15k all day everyday.
Built right it will.

Honda will more than likely safeguard as best they can against this and build a solid powerplant.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts