9th Gen Civic Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
They've always had 5 trim levels through 2015, so I'm assuming they'll stick with 5: EX, EX-T, EX-L, Touring, and TypeR. If they do this, it means there's a good chance the TypeR will be below $25k (base).

P.S. The 2016 Acura ILX still has the 2.4L.

Still not sure if it's true. Part of me thinks not.
You do know ex-t equals touring right?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The US market is very different. They'd never sell the amount they need to at a base price of $35k.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Someone was mentioning before that they didn't feel a 1.5T would be moddable, and that Honda would make it impossible for tuners. A stronger waste gate actuator that didn't leak boost all over the place was all it took for my old SRT-4 to make a sizable gain in performance. I didn't even need to add boost, although I still did it later on. Turbo'd cars are always going to be more moddable. 225 hp (which seems like a reasonable target for an Si) shouldn't have a 1.5T engine boosted to within an inch of its life. As long as it's built robustly, it should take to small boost increases reasonably well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Fully agree, Honda is so darn conservative with their tuning that it should stay reliable with a decent boost in power. As for a Type-R at 25k, that's like still believing in Santa. I'll take two day one at MSRP if that happened.

At 35k it will sell just fine IMO. It is a premium sport car like the STI, Golf R, Focus RS. It is a step above vehicles like the WRX, Si, GTI, Fiesta ST, Focus ST. It also already has gotten a lot of hype and praise. They would be high to sell it for sub 29k, and that's probably after its been out a couple years with discounts.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
@Moco: In your dreams!

You guys missed a huge part in my post: I said it may be around $25k (base) if the Si doesn't exist, and this I don't even believe will happen. So, technically, I don't believe the base price of $25k will happen.

I'm sure it will easily reach $35k+ with a Brembo brake kit, upgraded audio, navigation, etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Forget about the base civics *including the other trims plus the SI for a sec

Whatever price is set by Honda on the TypeR...it will sellout when it does come

Just on pre orders alone...

The car seems to have that *charismatic effect*

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Forget about the base civics *including the other trims plus the SI for a sec

Whatever price is set by Honda on the TypeR...it will sellout when it does come

Just on pre orders alone...

The car seems to have that *charismatic effect*
I agree and disagree with this at the same time, and here's why:
Honda can put whatever MSRP they want on it, within reason, and I think it will sell out if that's the final price.
However, the lot of us in the market for this car, by and large, well, I think we tend to be a pretty frugal bunch. What I think may hurt Honda ultimately would be dealers trying to charge a huge dealer mark-up above and beyond Honda's MSRP. I know myself and several of my friends would be extremely agitated if we walked in, saw a price of $35 on the Monroney, but became aware that the dealer was marking it up $10k. I know relatively few people who wouldn't walk out the door upon seeing such an affront perpetrated on consumers by the dealer networks.
So, in summary:
The car will sell out at MSRP
The car will fail horribly if the dealers start being greedy.
Honda, take note of this!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
I agree and disagree with this at the same time, and here's why:
Honda can put whatever MSRP they want on it, within reason, and I think it will sell out if that's the final price.
However, the lot of us in the market for this car, by and large, well, I think we tend to be a pretty frugal bunch. What I think may hurt Honda ultimately would be dealers trying to charge a huge dealer mark-up above and beyond Honda's MSRP. I know myself and several of my friends would be extremely agitated if we walked in, saw a price of $35 on the Monroney, but became aware that the dealer was marking it up $10k. I know relatively few people who wouldn't walk out the door upon seeing such an affront perpetrated on consumers by the dealer networks.
So, in summary:
The car will sell out at MSRP
The car will fail horribly if the dealers start being greedy.
Honda, take note of this!
Agreed. I think the cooking models will be sold for MSRP across the board. The general buying public won't stand for anything more. Economy car buyers want economy right from the get-go.

The high-performance models, however, will be sold for whatever the dealership can get for them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They've always had 5 trim levels through 2015, so I'm assuming they'll stick with 5: EX, EX-T, EX-L, Touring, and TypeR. If they do this, it means there's a good chance the TypeR will be below $25k (base).

P.S. The 2016 Acura ILX still has the 2.4L.

Still not sure if it's true. Part of me thinks not.
From what I understand the type R will be between 30-32k. which falls in line with pricing for focus rs and the new golf R.(5 k less, 50 less hp and only fwd) I doubt a 300hp civic will be 25k when msrp on a current si closes in on the 25k mark.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Saw a brand new civic sedan today as I was leaving work, they looked pretty sharp and they don't look any bigger then the current model

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
From what I understand the type R will be between 30-32k. which falls in line with pricing for focus rs and the new golf R.(5 k less, 50 less hp and only fwd) I doubt a 300hp civic will be 25k when msrp on a current si closes in on the 25k mark.
The Si has been confirmed, so my theory is wrong. You can all ignore the $25-$30k price range I mentioned.

Surprised so many replied to it. :D

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
[h=2]Coming To North America[/h]Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 10:20 pm | Posted by Carscoop Carscoop

FILED UNDERFUTURE CARSHONDAHONDA CIVICHONDA CIVIC TYPE-RHONDA SCOOPS
10 Comments
<iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1445649939021" name="I0_1445649939021" src="https://apis.google.com/u/0/se/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&annotation=inline&size=medium&width=150&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carscoops.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carscoops.com%2F2015%2F10%2Ffuture-cars-2017-honda-civic-type-r-is.html&gsrc=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.sS9ePrAoNew.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAGLTcCNcUxNwpvOeSyewTM9EA2yJfxydDg#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conload&id=I0_1445649939021&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carscoops.com&pfname=&rpctoken=40246745" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; position: static; top: 0px; width: 150px; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 20px; background: transparent;"></iframe>

<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.carscoops.com/2015/10/future-cars-2017-honda-civic-type-r-is.html%20%20&width&layout=button&action=like&show_faces=false&share=true&height=35" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; outline: 0px; font-size: 11.9px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; height: 35px; background: transparent;"></iframe>

<ins class="adsbygoogle" data-ad-client="ca-pub-4364582907348449" data-ad-format="auto" data-ad-slot="4006615011" data-adsbygoogle-status="done" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; display: block; height: 280px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"><ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; display: inline-table; height: 280px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 336px; background: transparent;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; display: block; height: 280px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 336px; background: transparent;"><iframe width="730" height="608" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" id="aswift_1" name="aswift_1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; background: transparent;"></iframe></ins></ins></ins>
Caught recently undergoing testing at the Nürburgring, it’s hard to believe Honda are already developing their next generation Civic Type-R. It only seems like yesterday that the current Type-R was boasting about its 7:50.63 lap time on the famous Nordschleife circuit. Yes - progress at Honda is rather swift indeed.

So how about we take an illustrated closer look at Honda’s next Type-R; what will it look like, and what can we expect?

Aggressive Design:

When looking at the all-new Civic Type-R five-door hatchback based on the new 2016 sedan, first impressions are that it’ll frighten most species of animal, insect and probably your grandparents too; that’s right, subtle isn’t a word that applies here. From the large angular front air inlets, flared fenders, red accents and that massive rear wing; the overall theme is aggressive and in-keeping with the Type-R brand, complementing the base Civic’s rather handsome and dynamic design.

Revamped Sports Interior:

Whilst not overtly expressive in terms of interior design; the latest Civic has had a long-overdue upgrade which brought substantial improvements in perceived quality, materials, packaging and technology. As with most sports-orientated variants; expect figure-hugging race seats, dark upper environment (charcoal headlining and pillar covers), red/black Alcantara inlays and a thicker, flat-bottom steering wheel.

What Will Power It:

Currently the Type-R pumps out an impressively schizophrenic 306 horsepower and 295 foot-pound of torque through the front wheels, for a brisk 0-62 mph (100km/h) time of 5.7 seconds. Expect the new version to utilize the same 2.0-liter turbocharged VTEC unit, albeit with slight improvements to power and torque levels. Whilst we’d love to see a Focus RS-rivaling 350 hp; any major bump in power would likely force a re-think of drivetrain, and that isn’t happening anytime soon.

Hot Hatched Rivals:

In terms of pure front-wheel-drive opponents, Honda’s boosted hot-hatch primarily rivals the Renaultsport Megane 275 Trophy, Seat Leon Cupra 280 and Ford Focus ST. However this segment is a mix-bag of different drivetrains; so it’ll also battle against AWD’s like Ford’s eagerly anticipated Focus RS, Volkswagen Golf R andMercedes-Benz A45 AMG - just to name a few.
Expect Honda’s next Civic Type-R 5-door hatch to officially emerge by 2017, with it finally being sold on both European and U.S soil (insert applause here).

Share your thoughts about Honda’s upcoming offering in the discussion area below.

By Josh Byrnes

Photo Renderings Copyright Carscoops / Josh Byrnes

81 - 98 of 98 Posts