9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm sure Honda will not be bashful about the price on the Type R. The Mugen Si was was just some nice wheels a body kit and harder suspension and it was grossly over priced.

I'm gonna take down the first one of these Type Rs that I see with my blown 13' Si Sedan. Blown 2.4L will definitely over power a factory tuned 2.0L turbo. I'd really like to see one of these try to catch me at Watkins Glen. :driving:
THIS^^^^^^^^ lol. Soon to supercharge too.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
In a straight line yes. On a road course or track no. Honda spent millions tuning the suspension, if someone thinks slapping on a set of coil overs, a sway bar and some reinforcement parts and they can take down a CTR on a course I'd like to see it.

I'm gonna take down the first one of these Type Rs that I see with my blown 13' Si Sedan. Blown 2.4L will definitely over power a factory tuned 2.0L turbo. I'd really like to see one of these try to catch me at Watkins Glen. :driving:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Might be possible. Back in the day my brother had a 2000 CIVIC SI (Canadian version EX in USA so only 127hp) ---no engine mods just suspension, light track wheels and brakes....it out handled 1997-2001 Integra Type Rs on the track...but was slower in the straights.
But I guess this is not really a comparison like mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Might be possible. Back in the day my brother had a 2000 CIVIC SI (Canadian version EX in USA so only 127hp) ---no engine mods just suspension, light track wheels and brakes....it out handled 1997-2001 Integra Type Rs on the track...but was slower in the straights.
But I guess this is not really a comparison like mentioned.
You bring up a good point. Weight is one variable that has a lot to do with handling turns, as well as acceleration out of turns.

My 2012 Si coupe is the lightest of the 9th gen Si platforms/years, and I've eliminated extra weight here and there. Removed rear seat belts and buckles/hardware (16 lbs), rear headrests (maybe 4-5 lbs total). Considering removing the rear L and R speakers since there is almost no appreciable sound coming from them (probably 2-3 lbs total). Not a lot, but those things won't be missed.

Lightweight wheels and tires also give my 9th a major edge. At exactly 9 lbs less per corner over stock, this is a significant advantage. 245 width tires also don't hurt :wigglesmiley:.

The use of light-weight alloys in wheels reduces rotational mass. This means that less energy will be required to accelerate the wheel. Given that each pound of rotational mass lost provides an equivalent performance gain as a 10 pound reduction in vehicle weight, the benefits of light alloy wheels on vehicle performance cannot be overlooked.
For example:
A reduction in the weight of the rim/tire assembly of 5lbs x 4 (all around the car) is equivalent to a 200lb weight reduction in vehicle weight (thats worth 0.200 in the 1/4 mile)
- taken from Hondaswap forum thread.

By that logic, 9x4= 36 x 10= 360 lbs less of equivalent curb weight (for acceleration purposes).

It would be interesting to know what stock Type R wheel/tire combo will weigh. Considering the wheels will be 18-19", probably quite a bit more.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It would be interesting to know what stock Type R wheel/tire combo will weigh. Considering the wheels will be 18-19", probably quite a bit more.
The wheels are actually 20" lol. At least on the prototype at SEMA it was a 20" wheel with 245/30/20s

·
Banned
601 Posts
41 - 51 of 51 Posts