9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to dig in to some suspension and chassis upgrades and realized I was contemplating spending money on a sway bar the exact same size....

Did anybody replace a stock 22mm sway bar with the same size from Progress and notice a difference? Only reason I ask is I am not going to tracking my car enough for an adjustable sway bar in my mind, just want to tighten the rear enough to feel it. Subframe brace maybe is more my solution....

Progress Technology: Anti-roll bars, sport springs, coil-overs, camber kits and more since 1995!

2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Specifications - Official Site

·
I Need A Vacation
13,834 Posts
Is the 24mm adjustable worth the extra money??
For daily driving NO.
Keep in mind even though the 22mm Progress RSB is only slightly bigger than stock it is noticeably stiffer so you'll feel the difference right away. One thing to keep in mind is having a stiffer RSB will slightly take away from the ride comfort as the car will be a little more bouncy when going over bumps or on rough roads

·
Registered
78 Posts
The stock sway bar even if its 20 or 22 are not really still, even the Eibach 19 mm rear sway bar is 3 times stiffer than the stock one.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,834 Posts
The stock sway bar even if its 20 or 22 are not really still, even the Eibach 19 mm rear sway bar is 3 times stiffer than the stock one.
I'd love to see a comparison test done to compare stiffness of stock and aftermarket sway bars for our 9thgen Civics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So thicker is not always better? Where did you get the 3 times stiffer number?

I am in the market for sway bars and was just about to order the Eibach Pro-Plus kit, but then I noticed that Eibach kit has a 19mm rear bar. The 2015 SI comes with a 20mm rear from what I've read around here. The other choice I've seen on the forums is the Progress 24mm bar.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,834 Posts
So thicker is not always better? Where did you get the 3 times stiffer number?

I am in the market for sway bars and was just about to order the Eibach Pro-Plus kit, but then I noticed that Eibach kit has a 19mm rear bar. The 2015 SI comes with a 20mm rear from what I've read around here. The other choice I've seen on the forums is the Progress 24mm bar.
The Eibach 19mm RSB could be stiffer than the stock 20mm RSB so that would make a difference, I'm not sure if it is truly stiffer or not though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For example here is the 2012 si vs Eibach kit

FRONT:

OE bar: 18 mm (0.71 in) solid
OE measured bar rate: 9.8 N/mm (56 lbs/in)
OE bar weight: 2.9 kg (6.4 lbs)
Eibach bar: 24mm (0.95 in) solid, adjustable

Eibach measured bar rate:
2 position adjustable
P1 = 26 N/mm (148 lbs/in) +264 %
P2 = 30 N/mm (171 lbs/in) +305 %
Eibach bar weight: 5.0 kg (11 lbs)
Bushings: New urethane bushings with grease grooves.
End Link: OE

REAR:
OE bar: 15 mm (0.59 in) solid
OE measured bar rate: 8.8 N/mm (50 lbs/in)
OE bar weight: 1.7 kg (3.75 lbs)
Eibach bar: 19 mm (0.75 in) solid, adjustable

Eibach measured bar rate:
2 position adjustable
P1 = 36 N/mm (205 lbs/in) +409%
P2 = 45 N/mm (257 lbs/in) +514%
Eibach bar weight: 2.8 kg (6.3 lbs)
Bushings: New urethane bushings with grease grooves
End Link: OE

so even if the 14+ si rear sway bar is 20 mm it will have at most 15 to 20 N/mm. That makes the Eibach sway bar almost 3 times stiffer than the Oe one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts