9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my car for 4.6k miles now and the gears aren't clunky or hard to put in anymore except for 2nd the weird thing is i put it into 2nd the most from 5-15 rolls etc. and yet it is still hard to shift quickly into 2nd it goes in pretty normal when not shifting quickly but when i am it feels restrictive. I wanted to see what this was so when I parked in my garage today I put the car break up and just held the clutch down and hit second as fast as i could. The result was the car actually felt like it was bumping from just being put into second not sure how to describe it but it felt like it would feel if you go from 2nd to 3rd and didnt' give it gas as you went into gear it just kind of made the car buck; and that's what this was like although not as dramatic.

I just don't understand what this could be... makes me worry but I hope someone can clarify :p might consider getting hybrid racing bushings. It's really annoying because when shifting from first to second while racing it can grind just because my clutch movement isn't in line with my shifting movement because it's so damn restrictive!!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I don't get the clunk or feel it being restrictive at all in mine. Take it to the dealer, have a technician sit in your car while you repeat just what you described above. See what they say after you do it for them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It may be a mechanical problem, but I would try putting an extremely high quality transmission fluid like Redline first. I have put that in new cars that had notchy shifting and made it shift 100% better. The stuff that is in the transmission right now is probably conventional. The synthetic is definitely a lot smoother.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be a mechanical problem, but I would try putting an extremely high quality transmission fluid like Redline first. I have put that in new cars that had notchy shifting and made it shift 100% better. The stuff that is in the transmission right now is probably conventional. The synthetic is definitely a lot smoother.
I'll keep that in mind when I visit the dealer.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
There is truth to the quality fluid theory.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is truth to the quality fluid theory.
Definitely. I plan on switching over to Redline on my first oil change. It's expensive stuff but you only need a couple quarts so it's only a few bucks more than other stuff.

If the dealer tells you something like 'you can only use Honda fluid' or says that anything else is junk and will void the warranty (it won't), don't believe them it's not true. Dealers tend to be like this. Especially service writers who usually know very little about cars.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well getting an oil change monday I'll mention that I want a transmission fluid change. Hopefully it won't be too expensive of a trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Honda MTF actually isn't really bad stuff but I agree with your recommendation of Redline I've used it before and it worked well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The clutch pedal could need to b adjusted. I havnt looks at my wife's. It, on all other models there is a rod coming threw the fire wall goin to the pedal w/ a jam nut on it loosen the nut and screw the Rod out of the pedal. This will ultimately make the clutch disengage from the flywheel sooner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts