9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea, I'm in agreement, more duration/lift for us FI guys.

I'm really curious to see how the 4piston heads will flow and what improvements they will show. I was going to put my deposit in, but I just finished my supercharger install and need to spend money elsewhere (transmission, tires, rims, etc.).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Guys,

Quick update - the head is heading to Indianapolis for the PRI Show. My boss is going to drop it off with the 4 Piston Racing guys at the end of the show. Saves me on shipping and a good way for us to get to know those guys.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Guys,

Quick update - the head is heading to Indianapolis for the PRI Show. My boss is going to drop it off with the 4 Piston Racing guys at the end of the show. Saves me on shipping and a good way for us to get to know those guys.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Awesome!! I was just informed by my tuner that there's a shop local to me that has actually completed a k20 head swap on our cars. Just for some reason, it's a kept secret and not many people know about (few guys on YouTube has posted this swap also). I'm going to stop by their shop and see how much this would cost. So, I'll keep everyone updated on that too.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Awesome!! I was just informed by my tuner that there's a shop local to me that has actually completed a k20 head swap on our cars. Just for some reason, it's a kept secret and not many people know about (few guys on YouTube has posted this swap also). I'm going to stop by their shop and see how much this would cost. So, I'll keep everyone updated on that too.
This has been done before, but I don't think our stock bottom ends like to rev that high. That's the route i'd go if building a sick all motor build, but I'm curious to see if the 4 piston program will nullify the need for k20 head.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This has been done before, but I don't think our stock bottom ends like to rev that high. That's the route i'd go if building a sick all motor build, but I'm curious to see if the 4 piston program will nullify the need for k20 head.
Yes, I've heard. I am going to be building the short block to make it capable of revving to 8k. Looking at my dyno, the car still makes power all the way up to redline on stock heads.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yes, I've heard. I am going to be building the short block to make it capable of revving to 8k. Looking at my dyno, the car still makes power all the way up to redline on stock heads.
Why stop at 8? Take that bish to 9k lol. Nah i'm playing. Any plans to document your build?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's the big question!

I would be willing to bet that for people who daily drive their car and want to perform a cylinder head upgrade, there will be no question that this option will be better. No ECU modification required to accommodate the V-TEC on the exhaust cam etc.

With that being said, if you are going all out on a car that doesn't need to be ready on Monday morning, the K20 head will always be better thanks to the exhaust V-TEC and the non-cast-on exhaust outlet. With performance cams that are properly tuned for the engine/head, port work done on both, I think it would be pretty close. N/A I think the K20Z heads are going to outflow the cast-in stuff, on the exhaust side at least, by a good 15%.

Is that enough to go through the effort of swapping to a different setup all together on your daily driven K24Z7, including ECU, custom exhaust to accommodate the header etc, I don't think so. That's why I think cams and a head port on the Z7 makes so much sense. Obviously a blower is cooler, and for the money it may make sense to more people, but I just like the idea of N/A. Plus, when I add a blower, I'll make more power with the same pulley etc.

Hope everyone is still hanging on and interested! LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's the big question!

I would be willing to bet that for people who daily drive their car and want to perform a cylinder head upgrade, there will be no question that this option will be better. No ECU modification required to accommodate the V-TEC on the exhaust cam etc.

With that being said, if you are going all out on a car that doesn't need to be ready on Monday morning, the K20 head will always be better thanks to the exhaust V-TEC and the non-cast-on exhaust outlet. With performance cams that are properly tuned for the engine/head, port work done on both, I think it would be pretty close. N/A I think the K20Z heads are going to outflow the cast-in stuff, on the exhaust side at least, by a good 15%.

Is that enough to go through the effort of swapping to a different setup all together on your daily driven K24Z7, including ECU, custom exhaust to accommodate the header etc, I don't think so. That's why I think cams and a head port on the Z7 makes so much sense. Obviously a blower is cooler, and for the money it may make sense to more people, but I just like the idea of N/A. Plus, when I add a blower, I'll make more power with the same pulley etc.

Hope everyone is still hanging on and interested! LOL
I agree completely!! A head swap is an unnecessary evil,IMO unless one is competing.
An FBO K24 can put down 220+hp to the wheels and run mid 13s in the 1/4 and still last 200k miles.

Many of these individuals do not realize how fast a 13 second car is on the streets or how good it feels to know your shit isn't running on the ragged edge and is reliable.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why stop at 8? Take that bish to 9k lol. Nah i'm playing. Any plans to document your build?
lol....... kinda of want a reliable high horsepower street car. Yea, I'll be posting videos on my YouTube channel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Subscribed. I definitely wanna see more of the Merc S/C. All I ever hear about are the CT and KW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
4Piston Racing has my cylinder head. I will start making some payments toward this, so hopefully I'll get this thing back relatively soon.

In other news, I just got this in. Research and Development asked me to test their new Wideband O2 Sensor/Bluetooth Module, so I opted to buy a new downpipe before they install the wideband for testing

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I honestly don't know. They provided me with an invoice yesterday that I can pay towards. I'll ask once we get closer to being paid off. I opted for the Supertech Spring Kit along with Ferrea Valves etc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I honestly don't know. They provided me with an invoice yesterday that I can pay towards. I'll ask once we get closer to being paid off. I opted for the Supertech Spring Kit along with Ferrea Valves etc.
awesome...... keep me updated. I'll be debating between this or the k20 head swap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just up'd the boost to 15psi and got it retuned. Seems like I'm starting to choke 7k to redline. Definitely needs better breathing via heads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just paid them another $200. $749 to go, and I'll have them. LOL Sorry for the delay guys! I promise I'll get this thing paid for.

My wife and I are taking a honeymoon to Europe this Spring for 17 days, so that's gobbled up a good amount of my cash at the moment.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
203 Posts
awesome! quick question (i'm not sure if you answered this already), but do they give flow data after the port and polish job?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts