9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
ooh man....... sweet!!! I read on their site that the r40 head is the best flowing k series head on the intake side and with their head job, they can flow up to 370cfm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I saw the post on the drop date and loved it. Glad this engine is getting some attention. I saw them mention cams. I’d love some clarity on that

·
Registered
70 Posts
I saw the post on the drop date and loved it. Glad this engine is getting some attention. I saw them mention cams. I’d love some clarity on that
Back when I worked at COMP Cams I made all the introductions for them but I think they're going another route on that deal. I'm having my stock ones reground at COMP.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good to see it’s back up on their website the updated info on it is nice. Beautiful head, thoughts on portmatching to downpipe? It looks wider but I think there’s a lil room vertically to be made. I wonder what kind of cams 4P has in mind for this head they mentioned is being worked on currently, although I am still curious about some kind of custom exhaust camshaft that isn’t a regrind. I have a spare head myself that I’ve been preparing and test fitting coolant stuff on that I will send sometime within this year for porting, but I still feel there’s progress to be made for this head in terms of optimal camshafts for the integrated exhaust manifold. Until a custom cam is made I’m thinking about mild toda cam on intake (a2 or a3) and either tsx or k20 exhaust cam. Also, I am enticed by the idea of getting a mold of or “mapping” the coolant jackets in the exhaust to see the all the places where there is still room to port. Nonetheless I am excited to see dyno results of stock but ported z7 (with hi flo intake manifold).

·
Registered
931 Posts
In for results as well as a bigger pic of the exhaust port and combustion chamber. :)

Marko!

·
Registered
716 Posts
wonder if they need a supercharged car for a guinea pig :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alright guys, here we go on final cam specs from my old job, COMP Cams:

"
Here are the three designs that Billy came up with verses your stock profiles:

Intake - 173/0.218" vs. 164/0.205"
VTEC - 229/0.291" vs.218/0.274"
Exhaust -188/0.241" vs. 176/0.227"

Remember that this is cam data and not valve data as we do not have the geometry for the K24Z7.

If you use the K20 geometry this is at the valve:

Intake - 194/0.380" vs.186/0.360"
VTEC - 250/0.510" vs.241/0.480"
Exhaust - 208/0.420" vs. 197/0.395"

Remember the factory specs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is really interesting, from what I gather it looks like using the k20 head geometry makes valve motion more sensitive from the change in cam size due to the centerline as compared to other k cams?

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is really interesting, from what I gather it looks like using the k20 head geometry makes valve motion more sensitive from the change in cam size due to the centerline as compared to other k cams?
Overhead cams are weird compared to a fixed ratio overhead valve rocker arm. The rocker arms on overhead cams are not as static in their impact to the valve events as overhead valve engines. What he's saying here is that we never put my K24Z7 on the measuring machine before I left COMP Cams, so they don't know if the rockers behave any differently/feature a different ratio from the K20A, for example. He can tell me what the duration/lift at the valve would be if the geometry were the same as the K20, but he just doesn't know the K24Z7 head, so he's giving me the best numbers he can with the information at his disposal.

Higher compression is free horsepower. I'm not touching it on my car. It's staying 11.0:1. Stock head gasket, studs - yes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was doing some calculations aimed at getting a ballpark figure of the z7 with upgraded compression based on combustion chamber volume and piston height and what I found is that when PRL was documenting their build they cc’ed the head and it came out to 54cc while the prb head is 50.5 (I believe rbc/rbb are 51.5 but I may be wrong as I don’t remember), and what I found out was to get 12:1 cr with the k24z7 head you will need 12.5:1 pistons to satisfy that value (I used weisco all motor as the piston). I think the rocker arm geometry is the same as the k20 but that’s jsut a guess but what I’m really getting at is the possible difference in combustion chamber size being responsible for the main difference in head geometry. I am myself planning on raising the cr to 12:1 but no more as rather extreme compression ratios shorten the life of a powerplant from the ring strain. I am excited to see the progress from the k24z7 having its differences set out compared the other k engines as I feel this motor’s little changes and being misunderstood is probably the biggest crutch we face in terms of part compatibility.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't really have anything all that interesting to add, but I was watching a YT LiveStream with VTEC Academy the other night, and they had Luke from 4Piston on. I asked him if there was any value in porting the R40 head. His answer was interesting, if anyone wants to watch -

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yea, same here, I asked a question near the end about which head to go with on the k24z7........ k20 or r40 head. Luke wants me to call, but he basically stated they have big things for the r40 and stick with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am excited to see the progress from the k24z7 having its differences set out compared the other k engines as I feel this motor’s little changes and being misunderstood is probably the biggest crutch we face in terms of part compatibility.
Me too. Y'all have been great with me so far, but I have seriously encountered so much crap from the peanut gallery on Facebook etc about cams etc. I cited my old job etc, but it's hilarious how once 4Piston says something about cams everyone suddenly is a believer. Give me a break. You see this crap all over the internet in different enthusiast cliques, but wow, the Honda guys have definitely got their ideas about whose word on this means something and whose doesn't. The amount of ignorance I've heard from the peanut gallery is just insane regarding this topic.

HOWEVER! I have to give kudos to everyone on the thread for being super cool and providing a place to give this some thought. Honestly car forums are so much better than Instagram, Facebook Groups, you name it. And this is why.

Mobs decide who wins the information wars on engine tech, not a panel of experts, lol.

I just paid for the balance of my head. Seriously guys - you have to appreciate how ridiculously expensive this whole thing has been for what this is. Honestly the amount of money to have this head ported and valves/valvetrain installed is insane. I get that its OHC, but yikes... Not sure if I said it before, but just check out what it costs to have a pair of Edelbrock Pontiac heads ported by Butler Performance, the best in the business - $695 plus the valve job plus springs, locks, retainers and seals. The spring kit - a good one, like top of the line for a hydraulic roller/solid roller would be like $450 ish dollars. This valvetrain from 4Piston was like $700. The valves were $260. All-In, I'd say this is a solid $2,000 project plus the cost of the core on ebay.

I mean, I didn't get into this to make the most power for money, obviously, I just thought it was interesting. But now that I'm looking at the cost all-in - it's crazy. I'm lucky I have my camshaft hook-up because guess what - cams, as in billet core cams, are gonna be probably $1,000 for these. Realistically, they should sell austempered ductile iron core camshafts (the black ones), but I doubt that happens here. Who knows! Just know that getting austempered ductile iron cores is a year + out timeline, and the minimum order for cores is in the hundreds if not thousands. I know from my previous job.

Anyway, I should have this in my possession come the beginning of next week, so more pics will follow. The "griping" about the price wasn't "complaining", just standing back and saying wow - this, compared to the OHV American V8's, even the weird stuff like my Pontiac 400, is expensive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't really have anything all that interesting to add, but I was watching a YT LiveStream with VTEC Academy the other night, and they had Luke from 4Piston on. I asked him if there was any value in porting the R40 head. His answer was interesting, if anyone wants to watch -
Wow. Great vid.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Me too. Y'all have been great with me so far, but I have seriously encountered so much crap from the peanut gallery on Facebook etc about cams etc. I cited my old job etc, but it's hilarious how once 4Piston says something about cams everyone suddenly is a believer. Give me a break. You see this crap all over the internet in different enthusiast cliques, but wow, the Honda guys have definitely got their ideas about whose word on this means something and whose doesn't. The amount of ignorance I've heard from the peanut gallery is just insane regarding this topic.

HOWEVER! I have to give kudos to everyone on the thread for being super cool and providing a place to give this some thought. Honestly car forums are so much better than Instagram, Facebook Groups, you name it. And this is why.

Mobs decide who wins the information wars on engine tech, not a panel of experts, lol.

I just paid for the balance of my head. Seriously guys - you have to appreciate how ridiculously expensive this whole thing has been for what this is. Honestly the amount of money to have this head ported and valves/valvetrain installed is insane. I get that its OHC, but yikes... Not sure if I said it before, but just check out what it costs to have a pair of Edelbrock Pontiac heads ported by Butler Performance, the best in the business - $695 plus the valve job plus springs, locks, retainers and seals. The spring kit - a good one, like top of the line for a hydraulic roller/solid roller would be like $450 ish dollars. This valvetrain from 4Piston was like $700. The valves were $260. All-In, I'd say this is a solid $2,000 project plus the cost of the core on ebay.

I mean, I didn't get into this to make the most power for money, obviously, I just thought it was interesting. But now that I'm looking at the cost all-in - it's crazy. I'm lucky I have my camshaft hook-up because guess what - cams, as in billet core cams, are gonna be probably $1,000 for these. Realistically, they should sell austempered ductile iron core camshafts (the black ones), but I doubt that happens here. Who knows! Just know that getting austempered ductile iron cores is a year + out timeline, and the minimum order for cores is in the hundreds if not thousands. I know from my previous job.

Anyway, I should have this in my possession come the beginning of next week, so more pics will follow. The "griping" about the price wasn't "complaining", just standing back and saying wow - this, compared to the OHV American V8's, even the weird stuff like my Pontiac 400, is expensive.
Yea man, when i priced it out....... it is expensive, almost the cost of a rebuilt block. I'm curious to see how all this turns out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea man, when i priced it out....... it is expensive, almost the cost of a rebuilt block. I'm curious to see how all this turns out.
Yeah of course! I really don't even mind that much honestly. I knew going in what I was setting myself up for, but with this car, at this period in time, I'm more interested in the "let's see what happens" than the "let's go really fast with an easy to do kit" kinda thing. My other car is my full-out car, but this one is just kind of an odd duck that I enjoy for different reasons than just going fast.

I'll keep everyone in the loop. I need to get some studs, a head gasket, valve cover gasket etc and do this thing. Luckily I've been working from home, so there's no pressure to get this done overnight etc lol.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts