9th Gen Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah of course! I really don't even mind that much honestly. I knew going in what I was setting myself up for, but with this car, at this period in time, I'm more interested in the "let's see what happens" than the "let's go really fast with an easy to do kit" kinda thing. My other car is my full-out car, but this one is just kind of an odd duck that I enjoy for different reasons than just going fast.

I'll keep everyone in the loop. I need to get some studs, a head gasket, valve cover gasket etc and do this thing. Luckily I've been working from home, so there's no pressure to get this done overnight etc lol.
I love seeing people try new things. Thats the main reason I swapped a z7 into an eg abiut 5 years ago because i had never seen it done and could find no info on it. Its good to see people putting work and innovation into these engines that were once deemed a waste of time.
Also, if you need some studs Ive got a set of inline pro studs from my z7 build that are in perfect shape. Only torqued once and just idle time. Send me a pm and ill hook you up on the low.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah of course! I really don't even mind that much honestly. I knew going in what I was setting myself up for, but with this car, at this period in time, I'm more interested in the "let's see what happens" than the "let's go really fast with an easy to do kit" kinda thing. My other car is my full-out car, but this one is just kind of an odd duck that I enjoy for different reasons than just going fast.

I'll keep everyone in the loop. I need to get some studs, a head gasket, valve cover gasket etc and do this thing. Luckily I've been working from home, so there's no pressure to get this done overnight etc lol.
nice. Yea, I'm still debating which route to go with, lol

·
Registered
716 Posts
I love seeing people try new things. Thats the main reason I swapped a z7 into an eg abiut 5 years ago because i had never seen it done and could find no info on it. Its good to see people putting work and innovation into these engines that were once deemed a waste of time.
Also, if you need some studs Ive got a set of inline pro studs from my z7 build that are in perfect shape. Only torqued once and just idle time. Send me a pm and ill hook you up on the low.
Yea, the k24z7 isn't a bad motor. According to Honda, their rods and block are the strongest K series and according to 4 piston, the intake on the heads are by far the best flowing out of all the k series.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea, the k24z7 isn't a bad motor. According to Honda, their rods and block are the strongest K series and according to 4 piston, the intake on the heads are by far the best flowing out of all the k series.
And to be fair, I highly doubt that suddenly all the other nice bottom end components are just gonna go to "crap" all the sudden. Honda likely knew for a while that this would be the last one they did and I'd bet all the rods, cranks, bearings etc are going to be held to the same standard as the "True V-Tec" Honda's.

Honestly, I don't think this cast in manifold deal is going to really be much of an issue at all if you are turbocharging/supercharging. To be honest, I really don't know if I'm all in for the hype of the 8th gen Civic. I have one, and while I was thinking about maybe going with a turbocharge build for it, I may just replace the clutch, sell it and use that cash to do a french drain around my shop and maybe get a couple of small car parts. Because in all honesty, the 8th gen Civic shows its age. The 9th Gen is by far the better overall "car car". The styling of the 9th gen Sedan is fantastic and proportional, sophisticated too. The 8th Gen I have is more just bulbus and plain.

Who knows. Either way, I would love to take bets on what the horsepower/torque output of my car will be once it is finished.

For now, let's bet on:

1. Naturally aspirated
2. RV6 Catted Downpipe - stock exhaust
3. 4Piston Racing ported head, Ferrea K24Z7 Valvetrain with Titanium Retainers
4. Stock clutch
5. Hondata (likely tuned by me then re-tuned at dyno if I can find a Honda tuner in Memphis. I tuned by bolt-on car myself and have experience in MAP and now MAF tuning.)
6. Skunk2 CAI
7. COMP Cams Stock Regrind Camshafts

Intake - 173/0.218" vs. 164/0.205"
VTEC - 229/0.291" vs.218/0.274"
Exhaust -188/0.241" vs. 176/0.227"

If you use the K20 geometry this is at the valve:

Intake - 194/0.380" vs.186/0.360"
VTEC - 250/0.510" vs.241/0.480"
Exhaust - 208/0.420" vs. 197/0.395"

Also! I would be curious to see how much an RBC is going to add to this eventually. I already have the PRL swap kit for it, just need the manifold now. I have a buddy at Skunk2, maybe their Pro Series K20Z3 style manifolds would work well and make more power than the stock one. I think that people who had negative experiences with the RBC's on these cars likely didn't flow nearly enough air through the head to even begin to benefit from it. I'd bet an RBC at this point would be worth 10 WHP or more without losing anything under the curve.

Oh, and I have stock wheels lol. So there's likely a lot of weight to lose on that side of things that translates into more meaningful power in this little car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
nice, wanna sell it to me?? LOL

·
Registered
716 Posts
No. lol.

Get out of here, you don't need this with your super-sized whistle box.
LOL. Yea man, I can't wait to see how this thing performs. Def keep us posted!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
awesome. Thanks for doing this. Nice to see the difference in REAL head port.
Happy to do it!

I'm not one to make videos, although I really don't mind doing it. I thought however that making a video would be the most efficient way to communicate my thoughts on this. My studs are on the way from BallsOutPerformance above in the thread (thank you!), and I'll be ordering the various gaskets etc in the days to come.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Happy to do it!

I'm not one to make videos, although I really don't mind doing it. I thought however that making a video would be the most efficient way to communicate my thoughts on this. My studs are on the way from BallsOutPerformance above in the thread (thank you!), and I'll be ordering the various gaskets etc in the days to come.

Kevin
The video stuff is weird, but some one has to do it. What are your goals with this build? I'm guess NA build?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The video stuff is weird, but some one has to do it. What are your goals with this build? I'm guess NA build?
I've bounced back and forth on what I really want to do. I had planned originally to keep this car stock, except for maybe a sway bar. Well, obviously all that goes downhill fast, and for the longest, I really couldn't nail down what I wanted to do. I've got this 2008 Honda Civic Si that I bought from a friend for $700. It needs a clutch, the clear coat is fading etc, but otherwise is a great candidate to go crazy with. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards keeping the 9th Gen as primary transportation for a while, swapping the head etc and eventually going with a turbocharger kit.

Now don't get me wrong, I really think the supercharger stuff is cool on these. It just makes so much sense for so many reasons, but I do think that in the next couple of years, I'm probably going to get some type of Lexus/Toyota 4WD SUV, like a GX etc, and then I won't have to concern myself at all about how easy to work on the supercharger is over the turbocharger etc. I think for the near future though, I'm going to get my fuel system squared away:

RBC Intake Manifold/PRL Install Kit (Already have the install kit)
1200cc Injectors from FiC
340LPH Deatschwerks drop-in Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator/Return Fuel System

I think I'll replace the clutch in the 8th Gen and let it go. I don't have a need for it, and honestly I'm sorry but the 9th Gen Civic Sedan is a far better looking car with more modern "attributes" throughout than my 8th Gen Civic Si Coupe. Also, I'd like to have an SUV that can tow my Civic and my Firebird if I need to. Whenever my new job decides we're going back into the office, no problem, I can drive the Firebird, park it in a secure garage attached to the AutoZone corporate building, with cameras inside etc etc. For the longest time at COMP Cams, we had serious issues with security. Before I left the company, a late 90's Suburban had been stolen, an early 2000's Tahoe had been stolen, a Buick Grand National, a Trailblazer SS (after they had tried to steal it before multiple times). Now that I've changed jobs, the appeal of having the red civic to beat on just doesn't make sense. If I can have up to three parking passes to use for different cars in the AutoZone garage, why not sell the red car and actually enjoy driving my Firebird without fear of having it stolen etc.

I know that's a long round-about way to not really answer the question, but it involves a lot of moving pieces lol.

I think that if I can hit 250 WHP N/A with the Head, Cams, Injectors, CAI and RV6 Catted Downpipe, I'll be happy for a while until I pull the trigger on the turbo kit.

Kevin

·
Registered
59 Posts
That head and exhaust port amazing, can’t wait to see how she performs. The k24z7 has really come a long way since this car came out and I’m really happy to see that. I am curious to see how the mid range and top end are affected with the stock cams but a port job to see how it behaves. Also, the guys with 3” exhausts will definitely benefit the most from this and I think there could be a possibility of new downpipes with larger initial piping diameter like from the 4 inch bellmouth go to 3.5 inch then match 3 at the catback. Dunno how plausible but I am entertained by the idea that the ported head enables possibilities that were unprecedented or otherwise deemed worthless.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've bounced back and forth on what I really want to do. I had planned originally to keep this car stock, except for maybe a sway bar. Well, obviously all that goes downhill fast, and for the longest, I really couldn't nail down what I wanted to do. I've got this 2008 Honda Civic Si that I bought from a friend for $700. It needs a clutch, the clear coat is fading etc, but otherwise is a great candidate to go crazy with. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards keeping the 9th Gen as primary transportation for a while, swapping the head etc and eventually going with a turbocharger kit.

Now don't get me wrong, I really think the supercharger stuff is cool on these. It just makes so much sense for so many reasons, but I do think that in the next couple of years, I'm probably going to get some type of Lexus/Toyota 4WD SUV, like a GX etc, and then I won't have to concern myself at all about how easy to work on the supercharger is over the turbocharger etc. I think for the near future though, I'm going to get my fuel system squared away:

RBC Intake Manifold/PRL Install Kit (Already have the install kit)
1200cc Injectors from FiC
340LPH Deatschwerks drop-in Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator/Return Fuel System

I think I'll replace the clutch in the 8th Gen and let it go. I don't have a need for it, and honestly I'm sorry but the 9th Gen Civic Sedan is a far better looking car with more modern "attributes" throughout than my 8th Gen Civic Si Coupe. Also, I'd like to have an SUV that can tow my Civic and my Firebird if I need to. Whenever my new job decides we're going back into the office, no problem, I can drive the Firebird, park it in a secure garage attached to the AutoZone corporate building, with cameras inside etc etc. For the longest time at COMP Cams, we had serious issues with security. Before I left the company, a late 90's Suburban had been stolen, an early 2000's Tahoe had been stolen, a Buick Grand National, a Trailblazer SS (after they had tried to steal it before multiple times). Now that I've changed jobs, the appeal of having the red civic to beat on just doesn't make sense. If I can have up to three parking passes to use for different cars in the AutoZone garage, why not sell the red car and actually enjoy driving my Firebird without fear of having it stolen etc.

I know that's a long round-about way to not really answer the question, but it involves a lot of moving pieces lol.

I think that if I can hit 250 WHP N/A with the Head, Cams, Injectors, CAI and RV6 Catted Downpipe, I'll be happy for a while until I pull the trigger on the turbo kit.

Kevin
Hey Kevin,
No worries. I started reading your response yesterday, right before dinner and decided... I'll save this for later :ROFLMAO:

Your thought process makes sense. It's hard to commit to one idea, especially when situations in life change. You sound like you have a lot of options with your cars.
I would have thought the same thing about the 8thGen, considering you got it so cheap too. The turbo thing, I think is something everyone should experience for themselves, too.
don't get me wrong, I can talk all day about why I didn't do it, but then I'll hear a turbo car next to me, and I want that LOL. But I can't lie these MR superchargers sound pretty sweet too.

I drove a K20 Head swap 9th gen last weekend, and it was a blast to drive. It reminded me of humble times, when you have time to enjoy VTEC crossover. With boost, that's now just a place where you want thing to be smooth so you don't give your passengers whiplash when it happens.

Best of luck on your build, whatever you end up doing. I am always happy to see people doing extra shit on their cars! 🍻

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Kevin,
No worries. I started reading your response yesterday, right before dinner and decided... I'll save this for later :ROFLMAO:

Your thought process makes sense. It's hard to commit to one idea, especially when situations in life change. You sound like you have a lot of options with your cars.
I would have thought the same thing about the 8thGen, considering you got it so cheap too. The turbo thing, I think is something everyone should experience for themselves, too.
don't get me wrong, I can talk all day about why I didn't do it, but then I'll hear a turbo car next to me, and I want that LOL. But I can't lie these MR superchargers sound pretty sweet too.

I drove a K20 Head swap 9th gen last weekend, and it was a blast to drive. It reminded me of humble times, when you have time to enjoy VTEC crossover. With boost, that's now just a place where you want thing to be smooth so you don't give your passengers whiplash when it happens.

Best of luck on your build, whatever you end up doing. I am always happy to see people doing extra shit on their cars! 🍻
Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Yeah I think I'm going to do some basic work on the 8th Gen and let it go.

I'll consider making some more little videos about this project. I got the camshaft tower installed last night. Gotta index the rocker shafts.

How much power do you think that K20-headed K24z7 makes?

Anyone want to put a bet on the power I'm going to make?

Having a lot of fun with this! You guys have been awesome.

Kevin

·
Registered
716 Posts

I'll consider making some more little videos about this project. I got the camshaft tower installed last night. Gotta index the rocker shafts.

Kevin
I think they range from 250-280whp with the oil pump swap

Reactions: americium

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think they range from 250-280whp with the oil pump swap
Fair enough. I can't justify the oil pump swap. That's just too much money thrown towards reducing rotational weight. I understand that means that it makes more power, but wow, can you think of a more boring way to spend nearly a thousand dollars? lol Wait, yeah, I can think of a few - fuel injectors, torque converters, fuel pumps etc.

At that point I'm putting that money towards a supercharger or turbocharger kit.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Fair enough. I can't justify the oil pump swap. That's just too much money thrown towards reducing rotational weight. I understand that means that it makes more power, but wow, can you think of a more boring way to spend nearly a thousand dollars? lol Wait, yeah, I can think of a few - fuel injectors, torque converters, fuel pumps etc.

At that point I'm putting that money towards a supercharger or turbocharger kit.
LOL, Yea I feel ya. I think with the swap it's closer to the 280whp range. I think it only increases the power by ~10whp or so.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

Kevin
no problem bro.

the Franksteins are kinda all over the place. Most are seeing 275 and 285 on ethanol.
But I seen a couple with just 265ish.

my guess is you’ll be around 250 with that head. More if you go ethanol.

keep it going man. Information is always welcomed.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts