9th Gen Civic Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Studs came in today. Got the cam tower basically mounted last night. I'm missing a couple of the little rocker springs and "cups" that lock the VTEC rocker in. But other than that I'm waiting on my camshafts and some gaskets. It's been pretty cold here too even with my little space heaters in my "mostly" insulated garage

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Studs came in today. Got the cam tower basically mounted last night. I'm missing a couple of the little rocker springs and "cups" that lock the VTEC rocker in. But other than that I'm waiting on my camshafts and some gaskets. It's been pretty cold here too even with my little space heaters in my "mostly" insulated garage

looking good. Those little springs are so easy to jump and miss out.

·
Registered
2015 si sedan : acuity/rbc/rdx/plm/hondata/etunez
442 Posts
I've bounced back and forth on what I really want to do. I had planned originally to keep this car stock, except for maybe a sway bar. Well, obviously all that goes downhill fast, and for the longest, I really couldn't nail down what I wanted to do. I've got this 2008 Honda Civic Si that I bought from a friend for $700. It needs a clutch, the clear coat is fading etc, but otherwise is a great candidate to go crazy with. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards keeping the 9th Gen as primary transportation for a while, swapping the head etc and eventually going with a turbocharger kit.

Now don't get me wrong, I really think the supercharger stuff is cool on these. It just makes so much sense for so many reasons, but I do think that in the next couple of years, I'm probably going to get some type of Lexus/Toyota 4WD SUV, like a GX etc, and then I won't have to concern myself at all about how easy to work on the supercharger is over the turbocharger etc. I think for the near future though, I'm going to get my fuel system squared away:

RBC Intake Manifold/PRL Install Kit (Already have the install kit)
1200cc Injectors from FiC
340LPH Deatschwerks drop-in Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator/Return Fuel System

I think I'll replace the clutch in the 8th Gen and let it go. I don't have a need for it, and honestly I'm sorry but the 9th Gen Civic Sedan is a far better looking car with more modern "attributes" throughout than my 8th Gen Civic Si Coupe. Also, I'd like to have an SUV that can tow my Civic and my Firebird if I need to. Whenever my new job decides we're going back into the office, no problem, I can drive the Firebird, park it in a secure garage attached to the AutoZone corporate building, with cameras inside etc etc. For the longest time at COMP Cams, we had serious issues with security. Before I left the company, a late 90's Suburban had been stolen, an early 2000's Tahoe had been stolen, a Buick Grand National, a Trailblazer SS (after they had tried to steal it before multiple times). Now that I've changed jobs, the appeal of having the red civic to beat on just doesn't make sense. If I can have up to three parking passes to use for different cars in the AutoZone garage, why not sell the red car and actually enjoy driving my Firebird without fear of having it stolen etc.

I know that's a long round-about way to not really answer the question, but it involves a lot of moving pieces lol.

I think that if I can hit 250 WHP N/A with the Head, Cams, Injectors, CAI and RV6 Catted Downpipe, I'll be happy for a while until I pull the trigger on the turbo kit.

Kevin
i was in the same boat. do i keep an extra car for a go fast toy just because? i just wanted to downsize. i sold an 04 srt4, an 03 ser spec v, and 2015 fit to have 1 car, my 15 civic si. gonna be my sleeper daily, i want that open downpipe 400hp grocery getter just because.
tbh for me, full bolt ons on the civic is plenty for right now, hoping to turbo next summer.

250 hp n/a ... would be wild.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i was in the same boat. do i keep an extra car for a go fast toy just because? i just wanted to downsize. i sold an 04 srt4, an 03 ser spec v, and 2015 fit to have 1 car, my 15 civic si. gonna be my sleeper daily, i want that open downpipe 400hp grocery getter just because.
tbh for me, full bolt ons on the civic is plenty for right now, hoping to turbo next summer.

250 hp n/a ... would be wild.
Not just 250 whp. 250 whp from a naturally aspirated four cylinder on pump gas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It took me a long time to learn to appreciate 250-280whp from a 4 cylinder, as I came from and still occupy the classic Muscle space. But wow. It's undeniable that it's impressive. And that no one really makes this type of engine anymore. Everyone has factory turbo's, so you just don't get this driving experience anymore. Apparently the BMW inline six guys feel the same way we do.

·
Registered
716 Posts
yea, our cars have about a 10% loss. So let's say you make 270whp, tha's about 300hp crank from a 2.4l 4 cylinder. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
2015 civic si coupe CT supercharger
17 Posts
Just caught up on reading this thread I'm super stoked to see you finish this man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm getting out of this car. The head is available for sale. Feel free to contact me. I'll make it worth your while.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
454 Posts
Hey Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm getting out of this car. The head is available for sale. Feel free to contact me. I'll make it worth your while.
Whoa whoa!!! I saw your other post with all of your parts for sale. If you don't mind me asking, why are you leaving the platform?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I decided to go another direction. I've got an old muscle car that gets my attention in the deep mechanical work side of the hobby, and I don't really want to dedicate that level of intensity to a car that needs to get me everywhere. I mean I know it's just a head swap, but I just don't want to fool with it.

I found another platform to move into that, with the sale of my Civic, barely increases my monthly payment, and I decided on a whim to just do it.

15WhiteSi called dibs on it, and I trust he'll be a good person to actually execute and get this thing installed. I mentioned camshaft regrinds as well, and that's a thing that can be done still. Once 15WhiteSi gets the head, we'll coordinate on getting the cams ground.

Edit - "I found another platform to move into that, with the sale of my Civic, barely increases my monthly payment, and I decided on a whim to just do it."

I realize that if Dave Ramsey read this he'd have a stroke, heart attack whatever, but if you're a car guy, and your new car payment for the month is less than 10 percent of your monthly take-home pay, then I call that a win-win. Cars mean a lot to us all - that's why we choose performance compacts instead of buying a crossover etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't blame you. Stepping into a real N/A build is a big leap. If a N/A caddy CTS-V pops up for sale locally I'll start getting the itch.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts