9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
I agree. Maybe just getting a shop to bore out the stock TB will be good. Also, maybe somehow change the circuitry of the TB. We did switch the a few of the components, but nothing helped. Maybe I just have to look into more.
Steve from E-Tunez told me that their go to is an overbored TSX TB (K24A2 06-08 / 64mm+4mm). It has the same current with a good idle, no codes thrown.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Steve from E-Tunez told me that their go to is an overbored TSX TB (K24A2 06-08 / 64mm+4mm). It has the same current with a good idle, no codes thrown.
awesome, I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
It's not an issue that Hondata can fix. It's a circuitry issue. The IC that controls the TB motor is rated for 5A. The stock TB pulls 4.9A which is obvs within spec. Now the ZDX TB pulls 10.4A on that same circuit that's only rated for 5A, which is twice as much current (NOT GOOD).

After reading into this more, I'm really in awe that anyone runs them. I'm no electrical engineer, but that just seems like it's asking for electrical gremlins to run the larger TB. Especially, like you're saying, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. The gains just aren't there for the potential issues it introduces.

This is good information. I also ran across this article on Hondata:

There are a few folks that replaced TB motor and claim to have no issues. Whether the motor might burn out overtime, who knows.

For anyone running a positive displacement blower, this is not just a couple ponies. Its a difference of 25-30hp and around 20tq.

I have one of these J37s sitting around, but I might look a K-Tuned as well. There's lot's of conversation on other forums about switching out the motor from the OEM to get the gremlins out of the way.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
This is good information. I also ran across this article on Hondata:

There are a few folks that replaced TB motor and claim to have no issues. Whether the motor might burn out overtime, who knows.

For anyone running a positive displacement blower, this is not just a couple ponies. Its a difference of 25-30hp and around 20tq.

I have one of these J37s sitting around, but I might look a K-Tuned as well. There's lot's of conversation on other forums about switching out the motor from the OEM to get the gremlins out of the way.
Yep. That's the source of my info. It was enough to deter me from swapping. I'm installing the CTE kit and got a ZDX with PRL adapter. After reading that thread and talking to the tuner I decided to forgo the ZDX for now. I'm back and forth between swapping the motor on the ZDX, or just looking for the TSX.

Which are you running?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep. That's the source of my info. It was enough to deter me from swapping. I'm installing the CTE kit and got a ZDX with PRL adapter. After reading that thread and talking to the tuner I decided to forgo the ZDX for now. I'm back and forth between swapping the motor on the ZDX, or just looking for the TSX.

Which are you running?
Also, my tuner stated that with the bigger injectors, it messes up the drivability also (hence why i get a small amount on oem tb now). I never tried the bigger TB on OEM fuel or injectors.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Also, my tuner stated that with the bigger injectors, it messes up the drivability also (hence why i get a small amount on oem tb now). I never tried the bigger TB on OEM fuel or injectors.
That would make sense. Flow at lower duty might be harder to dial in when the injectors are capable of flowing so much.

Which injectors you running?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That would make sense. Flow at lower duty might be harder to dial in when the injectors are capable of flowing so much.

Which injectors you running?
ID1300

Reactions: fahnix

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
How are things on the Stock TB? You feel like you lost much power sizing back down?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How are things on the Stock TB? You feel like you lost much power sizing back down?
So far so good. None at all. I'm actually pushing more power now since I switched, so I can't really give you an accurate before and after. But the erratic throttle has almost disappeared.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh, right. You'd downsized the blower pulley and switched the the 8th Gen crank pulley.

What was the idea behind the crank pulley swap? Lighter? Thought about doing the alternator too?

We thought it would help by putting less load on the motor. Wanted the motor to spin as free as possible. Wish I could experiment more to give out better data.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Right. Less parasitic loss is always the goal, but what I mean is the 8th gen crank pulley lighter? Smaller diameter? What was the thought behind going with the 8th gen pulley as opposed to one of the lightweight aftermarket ones like BC or Unorthodox? I saw that another member did the Unorthodox pulley recently and wondered was the 8th gen a comparable swap.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts