9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As i see, so many Civic owners replace the transmission filter which is installed outside of the AT and its under air filter box.
But, as far as i know, there is a larger filter (Strainer) which is installed inside the transmission.
I dont know the part number, but i saw this strainer listed on a diagram at Honda dealership, its price around 88 CAD.
Parts advisor said that he does not remember whey anybody ordered and replace that filter, which is looks strange for me.
It looks like this one (aftermarket): ATP® - Automatic Transmission Filter

Does anybody replaced this strainer (filter), by chance?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Interesting, I did not know, until now, that Honda had included an external ATF filter on our cars. Honda does provide a filter kit with remanufactured transmissions.
But that's what being retired for 8 years will do for current information.

All that said; it can't hurt to replace it, but I found no reference to a routine replacement interval.

25430-PLR-003 $42.08 is MSRP for the filter.
My guess is a dealer will charge at least .5 hour (maybe more) to replace the filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I did not know, until now, that Honda had included an external ATF filter on our cars. Honda does provide a filter kit with remanufactured transmissions.
But that's what being retired for 8 years will do for current information.

All that said; it can't hurt to replace it, but I found no reference to a routine replacement interval.

25430-PLR-003 $42.08 is MSRP for the filter.
My guess is a dealer will charge at least .5 hour (maybe more) to replace the filter.
Hi Teeps,

As far as I know, there is an external filter (located under air filter box) - exactly that one you mentioned about.
But, Parts advisor at Honda dealership showed me a Strainer (Filter) which is installed inside the transmission, costs around 80-90 CAD.
He said that its never being replaced by Honda dealer, there is no reason to do that, based on his experience.

I changed the transmission fluid (drain-fill) today and I have found why internal filter is never replaced by dealers\Civic owners.
In fact, Civic 2013 transmission has no bolter pad which can be removed and filter can be replaced.
As I understand now, if you want to replace that internal filter, you need to remove the entire transmission and dissassemble it, as its like a walnut.
This job is expensive for sure, that is why nobody wants to do and pay for this.

Honda says that transmission filter's lifetime period is equal to transmission lifetime. In other words, you dont need to replace it :)
Actually I found a few photos of that filter (whats inside) after 80-100k km - its full of crap and needs to be replaced for sure.

So I made transmission fluid change first time for my Civic, I am going to make 2 more fluid changes after some time.
I will replace the external filter with 3rd fluid change.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I did not drill down far enough in the section to find what you were talking about.
But, there is was (A) in the illustration below.
And you are correct it would involve many hours to get to the strainer.
So yeah, no one is going to replace that internal strainer as part of preventative maintenance.

Unless there are major shifting problems with your car's transmission; I would not worry about either filter.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not drill down far enough in the section to find what you were talking about.
But, there is was (A) in the illustration below.
And you are correct it would involve many hours to get to the strainer.
So yeah, no one is going to replace that internal strainer as part of preventative maintenance.

Unless there are major shifting problems with your car's transmission; I would not worry about either filter.

View attachment 491157
I agree, Teeps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dealer don't know squat about the external filter. They only know about the internal filter and says it's a lifetime or maintenance free filter. More like a reason to break your trans so they can fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer don't know squat about the external filter. They only know about the internal filter and says it's a lifetime or maintenance free filter. More like a reason to break your trans so they can fix it.
Actually, I initially went to 2 dealers and part advisors did not know about both (internal\external) filters as well.
One of them tried to check for me and found it on a diagram. Another one advisor in the second dealership was arguing with me that there is no filter, I asked him to check the transmission diagram and I SHOWED HIM the filters. That's funny and sad at the same time that you have to deal with such unprofessional reps.
So I think that they can really don't know ;)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Actually, I initially went to 2 dealers and part advisors did not know about both (internal\external) filters as well.
One of them tried to check for me and found it on a diagram. Another one advisor in the second dealership was arguing with me that there is no filter, I asked him to check the transmission diagram and I SHOWED HIM the filters. That's funny and sad at the same time that you have to deal with such unprofessional reps.
So I think that they can really don't know ;)
Not surprising...

Service writers are there to sell service...
In this instance their ignorance works in your favor...
Imagine having a SW give you the hard sell to replace that internal strainer... what would you do?

Take the win and be glad you didn't have an unnecessary repair done at great cost.

·
Registered
2015 R18Z1 Civic Special Edition
7 Posts
I had the little filter in my cvt transmission changed. It was changed at 200,000 miles.
I now have over 313,000 miles using castrol cvt fluid changed every 15-20k, and m1 0w30 or redline 0w30.
DSC_0004.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts