9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know it's prob alittle to early to tell but does anyone know or think that the 8th gen civic suspension will be carried over and be the same for the 9th gen civic??

It would be some what a downgrade since its a new model but great for aftermarket parts! (braces, strut bars, springs, shocks, coilovers etc).

That would mean no waiting for some aftermarket suspension parts to be created for the new civic!:eusa_dance:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol i feel your pain..

it would be amazing if some would..start ordering some parts right away in that case!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
HahaHa, as your thinking about 8th gen parts being interchangeble, I'm thinking about 7th gen civic si parts that will be interchangeble.

I still have a JDM K-series valve cover with 2 ARC spark plug covers in a box. As I recall all K-series valve covers fit eachother.

Too bad 8th gen and 9th gen civic doesn't have side markers. Can't use a 5 speed shift knob for a 6 speed. lol...Darn, I guess I'll have to sell most of the things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i couldnt imagine the suspension changing that much that different parts would be needed. they already cram the engine bay, but we dont know much. the body is different and engine different, but we dont know if they've extended the length of the civic or anything else really. :shrug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It would be nice to see similar interchangeability like we had with older chassis. It was pretty awesome when I wanted new brakes for my CRX and I could just upgrade by swapping out a set from an integra with 0 issues. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ I know so much easier.

Any updates on this question so far?

Does the 9th gen civic use basically the same suspension as the 8th?

..wondering this more for lowering springs etc!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't know if the 9th gen Civic use basically the same suspension as the 8th but the height difference it gained for a smoother ride could be in the rims and tires. (?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope my eibach pro kits springs will work for the 9th!!
Yeah, definitely post the results of your install. Anywhere I look it says parts are not yet available...just looking for a slight drop with new springs to reduce fender gap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I may give this a shot this weekend with some pics hopefully on my wifes sedan. Right now, my buddy's wife is rolling on my old springs. May swap em out real quick to check it out, and let u guys know. I have my doubts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i heard from my local speed shop that someone tried to drop in 09 springs and only one end fit right...either only the front springs or rear springs but not both...(he couldnt remember which end)

·
Registered
158 Posts
8th Civic vs. 9th Civic suspension differences revealed

Hi All,

Thought I would share my findings so far with the 9th gen Civic Si suspension I have recently inspected.

1) Camber plates: The front upper strut mount is identical between the 8th and 9th gen cars; so the ASR plates will work on 9th gen too.

2) Front struts:
- are very similar other than the swaybar tab and brake line brackets at the bottom.
- shock max and min length is about 1/4" longer (very similar); so the Koni insert length will work well. Koni insert fits perfectly in 2012 housing and is 1/4" shorter than the stock 2012 shock, which is fine for anyone wanting to lower the car.
- pin thread and length are the same. (pin is threaded part at top of shock piston)
- lower spring perch is approx 1/8" higher on the body (not too much different but looks slightly higher). perch stamping looks same as 8th gen Si perch.
- strut bearing is different and uses separate upper spring seat part number (not integral like on 8th civic), but the 8thcivic bearing (and integral spring seat) fits perfectly on 9th gen top hat (because the top hats are identical); so retrofits will be easy if needed. Interestingly, there are no bearings is the 9th gen strut bearing... it's some sort of plastic flat bearing and lube that has no moving parts other than the top moving relative to the bottom (and it's very thin and weighs almost nothing).
- the swaybar mounting tab on the 9th gen strut is going to make machining off the lower spring perch more difficult where needed, but it is still doable with manual removing of the spring perch first with a cutoff wheel and then finishing on the lathe.
- strut to upright "knuckle" bolts are larger on 9th gen car (8th was 14mm and 9th is 16mm).

3) Rear shocks
- rear shock is basically identical, and the Koni part will fit perfectly.

4) Rear spring
- the rear spring is slightly different from the 8th gen cars. The ID at the bottom is the same as 8th gen, but the top is not the same. Where the top ID of the 8th gen is significantly bigger then the bottom ID, on the 9th gen, the top is only very slightly bigger; so the upper mounting method must be slightly different. I need to see an actual 9th gen Civic in person before knowing the specifics of how a coilover will fit the back of the 9th gen.
- spring length appears to be the same; so current rear spring specs for coilovers should work the same on the 9th gen car.

And what does this all mean? It means that a drop spring kit for the 8th Civic does not fit the 9th Civic. It also means that a Koni based coilover kit for the 9th Civic is just a few relatively small changes from 8thCivic parts away from working perfectly. But I need a car to know for sure.

Anyone interested in making a 9th Civic available to me to look at. I can make it worth your while. Contact me asap.

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 20 of 219 Posts