9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The more and more i drive this car it becomes more baffling with me. I figured I would ask the forum what your car does. So this is my first K series car. I used to race/tune/build d series engines and did all the maintenance. That being said, i know what noises sound like and usually when they happen.

So heres the deal. Its about 20-28 degrees F out usually when i start the car in the mornings. I usually start it, and go back inside and let it warm up about 1-2 min before i leave. So here is what the noise sounds like, and believe me, its noticeable, it sounds like either a slight rod knock or loose lifter possibly, but the reason I dont think its a lifter, is cause it sounds like a rpm dependent single tap, and not multiple taps like loose lifters usually sound like. It happens not under load, but when you slightly let off the throttle, or basically when the engine is not under acceleration or deceleration. I cant really hear it at idle. If i could record it and let you hear it i would but I cant hear it on video. It may progressively get worse as you get high into the rpm but to me this engine is noisy anyway, and i dont risk getting over 4k until the engine is warm. So heres the next kicker. It will continue to make this noise in between shifts and between throttle tip in's for about 5-10 miles, or way after even the engine's low temp coolant light goes off. And ONLY makes this sound when the engine has completely cooled off.

So heres the deal. Everytime i take it to the dealer they cant hear it..obviously, cause it doesnt do it anymore by the time i get there, and Im sure they think im crazy by now. I noticed it at about 12k miles. I baby this car like you wouldnt believe. All highway driving as well. I decided to adjust the lifters at 18k miles recently, and i set the lifters tigher on the feeler gauge than looser, and check each lifter more than twice just to make sure. Very meticulous on it. And the noise is still there.

My dad used to build motors too. At this point, he thought it could be a cracked piston since it happens when the car has completely cooled off, or a rod trying to go out. Is there other things in the motor that could make this noise? or are these K motors just junk, cause at this point thats what I have come up with.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You could leave the car at the dealer/mechanic overnight so they could listen to the noise in the morning when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i think im going to if theyll let me have a loaner...my work is 30 miles across town from home. Are these motors notorious for piston slap??? I tried making it more audible this morning and it def doesnt sound like a lifter to me. Anything else it could be?

·
Registered
576 Posts
My 7th-gen LX developed slight piston slap at 70,000 miles. I did drive it hard on occasion, and I think the bitterly cold Montana winters didn't help any. It would make a tapping noise when cold and the noise would go away once the engine warmed up. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing could be done, really. At least nothing that didn't cost a small fortune. They said the noise could also be from valves tapping so I had those checked but they were fine.

The slapping noise was pretty annoying and it was worst in the winter and quieter in the fall and spring and not there at all in the summer time.

Aside from the noise the engine worked as well as it ever did -- no smoke, no oil burning, no noticeable loss in power, and it was reliable. Just noisy when cold.

Apparently the cheapest way to "fix" it is to swap the engine out for another one. I think a used 7th gen engine was $600 or so but it may cost another $2,000 to $3,000 for installation.

There's probably many possible causes for the noise your engine making.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
If the noise is not loud enough to capture on video, just drive it. It is a Honda, they do make some odd noises when cold and yet they usually don't fail because of it. I sure don't wish for it to get louder but I would sure like to hear it.

It could very well be piston slap. It is most likely not a serious problem though. How is your oil consumption?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil consumption is zero. I did check the oil level the other day and found out that the oil level was probably at least 1 quart over the top dot. AND THE DEALER WAS THE LAST ONE TO CHANGE THE OIL!!!??? WTF. Doesnt anybody know how to do something right?

·
Registered
227 Posts
oil consumption is zero. I did check the oil level the other day and found out that the oil level was probably at least 1 quart over the top dot. AND THE DEALER WAS THE LAST ONE TO CHANGE THE OIL!!!??? WTF. Doesnt anybody know how to do something right?
You know I have the same problem I can hear my valves tapping am taking it in to the dealership today to get it checked one of my buddy's told me about it needless to say I was pretty upset about it but hopefully the dealership fixes it I only have 30,035 miles on it :/

2Sick

·
Registered
147 Posts
How can it be the vtec actuator? That noise sounds pretty weird. Happens on cold mornings. You can here it pretty clear in the video. Should I take it to a dealer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts