9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WoooHooo!!!!!! Thanks Mods ......

Hey gang .. this is your place/chance to post questions on how to better maintain or correct issues in your paint.

There is a lot of good info out there to be had for the asking ( lots of bad info too including wives tales ) be it "whats the best way to wash my car" all the way to "how do I get my paint up to show quality". And even how do I address the little scuff on my bumper form a shopping cart.

I have been detailing cars for close to 50 years and have gone through all the phases and flavours of the week and in the last 7 years have pretty much stuck to higher end cars and do in the area of 100+ cars a season.

I usually only recommend products or solutions from experience and try and stay away from the "I heard this works, my wifes second cousin read it somewhere.

My DD is a 2012 Civic in Urban Titanium and the baby is a 06 Acura TL in White Diamond Pearl.

Some of my work can be seen here ......and no, I'm not here selling my services .. I have more work than I need now,

Detailed cars pictures by JessTzn - Photobucket

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any advice on how to keep a black car clean? All I get when I hand wash mine is a streaky spotty clean. And when I go through a car wash I get the dreaded water spots. And then the next day the car is dirty again.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice on how to keep a black car clean? All I get when I hand wash mine is a streaky spotty clean. And when I go through a car wash I get the dreaded water spots. And then the next day the car is dirty again.
How do you wash it? What do you use for a mitt, soap ... What do you use to dry it? As for the next day thing .. they all get dusty etc .. you just see it more on black.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well mainly ive used car washes so far. But last time I washed it by hand using 2 buckets on with the soap water and the other with water to rinse the wash towel that I was using. And I used a shammy to dry it and all it seemed to do was make streaks. I guess I'm just a noob. I never really took car of my previous car but this is a car that I love so I'm trying my best.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mainly ive used car washes so far. But last time I washed it by hand using 2 buckets on with the soap water and the other with water to rinse the wash towel that I was using. And I used a shammy to dry it and all it seemed to do was make streaks. I guess I'm just a noob. I never really took car of my previous car but this is a car that I love so I'm trying my best.
At least your 1/2 way there ... here is a good safe method.

1) wash the car with a car wash soap and a sheepskin mitt.... most other media will induce swirls ..... 2 pail method is optional.
2) Remove the nozzle from the hose and use a gentle stream of water to do the "final" rinse. This will flood any particulate left off the car and also will pull about 85% of the left over water off a waxed car. Using a nozzle & high pressure just increases the risk of blowing crud out of the seams etc . only to scratch during drying.
3) Use a Waffle Weave drying towel to dry. Chamouis and the Absorber etc have little forgiveness and will induce marring.

The initial outlay to do it right might seem a little much but it pays off in the end.

Also for pre drying if you have a clean wet wash area you can use a leaf blower to get a lot of the remaining water off.

I just washed my Civic including drying and doing the door/trunck edges and a engine wipe and it was 40 minutes.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any recommendations on clay bars, waxes or pastes?
The Mothers kit from Walmart is as good as the average guy needs .. As for waxes .. I really prefer sealants .. easier to use and last a lot longer ... See if your local CarQuest has Duragloss #105 .. or see if you have a local distributor for Meguiars .. their #21 is my go to .

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey JESSTZN, What is the best way to wash your motor and dry it? Thanks in advance.
If you have a Dollar Tree store near you go her a few bottles of thier Awesome all purpose cleaner .. spray the engine down and then aggitate with a long brisseled brush & rinse ..

As for drying if you don't have a compressor or leaf blower hook up the hose to the outlet of the vacuum. Then let engine run a bit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have a Dollar Tree store near you go her a few bottles of thier Awesome all purpose cleaner .. spray the engine down and then aggitate with a long brisseled brush & rinse ..

As for drying if you don't have a compressor or leaf blower hook up the hose to the outlet of the vacuum. Then let engine run a bit.
Does that actually work?
Attaching a garden hose to the standard vacuum?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I love that there is a detailing thread now for us guys that like to keep our rides fresh and clean. And to pass on our advice or mistakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts