9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have removed part of the stock intake and added a 4 inch metal pipe to guide the cool air from top of the hood. It sounds very good and I notice engine does rev up faster.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
Seeing as how heat rises, I'm not sure that the coolest air in the engine compartment is just under the hood, or anywhere under the hood, for that matter.

I will keep my air coming in from the outside.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pointing it down will suck hot air off the radiator, having it up sucks in hot engine bay air. I'd bet money it's no colder, or maybe even hotter because it's metal and sitting in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
This doesn't even make sense at all. Shouldn't that inlet pipe be connected to the intake manifold? Is your engine literally sucking in hot air from the engine bay without a filter now? Hopefully I'm missing something...and I also do realize that this thread was resurrected today so this is old news.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This doesn't even make sense at all. Shouldn't that inlet pipe be connected to the intake manifold? Is your engine literally sucking in hot air from the engine bay without a filter now? Hopefully I'm missing something...and I also do realize that this thread was resurrected today so this is old news.

Looks like its an R18.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great job trying something new. To be honest with you it looks like it should be in the badly moddified thread. Just looks ghetto as shit IMO. Maybe flip that pipe over and point it down to bring in cooler air? But seriously isn't your mom going to be mad that you took her dryer vent?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ROFL! Lol yeah sorry but it looks like you really butchered that intake idea

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
I don't have a problem with the materials. The execution, though, is suspect because the lack of a filter, that is, of course, unless it was left off in the picture to show the pipe.

In today's buy buy buy mentality, many people have forgotten, or never knew or experienced how it used to be done before there was vendor for everything under the sun. In fact, most of the aftermarket stuff you have today is the many generations-removed result of someone chopping something up in the their garage many years ago.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I don't have a problem with the materials. The execution, though, is suspect because the lack of a filter, that is, of course, unless it was left off in the picture to show the pipe.

In today's buy buy buy mentality, many people have forgotten, or never knew or experienced how it used to be done before there was vendor for everything under the sun. In fact, most of the aftermarket stuff you have today is the many generations-removed result of someone chopping something up in the their garage many years ago.
I am assuming the air filter is in the air box...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
He basically just removed the fresh air intake tubing and replaced it with a short 4" metal pipe. The filter sits in the air box and you can see the air tube in the rear going to the throttle body.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am assuming the air filter is in the air box...
I think a lot of people are missing this, looks to me this mod is the tube into his intake box versus the tube going to the throttle body and manifold.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
I think a lot of people are missing this, looks to me this mod is the tube into his intake box versus the tube going to the throttle body and manifold.
Good point. It does look unfinished, which is why I, and someone else, assumed there was no air cleaner. I fully realize now that the drier duct is a substitute for the grill entry. In fact, I had even commented on it earlier in the thread. :dopey:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sweet post. I was certain that the K&N Typhoon was going to be awesome cause Ive always used K&N. I put it on and I immediately thought it had more power and was awesome. Over time I can to the realization that it was actually hurting and it was all in my head. I swapped back to the stock intake and noticed an improvement. K&N does sound pretty good though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was instructed by someone to get a tube through the front end somewhere, have it bringing in fresh air directly from the bumper, then remove the air box and replace it with a cone filter. This in theory is basically making a cheap version of a short ram intake, and it would in fact work just fine.

The reason you get a new sound is because you're cutting the intake resonator out of the mix. On the stock engine the resonator (or expansion chamber), for anyone who doesn't know is meant to fill up with air and let it into the airbox, pressurize and then go into the engine, bypassing it will result in colder air, however it's designed to smooth out the intake flow as it makes the air less turbulent and therefore more constant.

I was looking into doing the method I mentioned above yesterday, honestly you're better off putting a higher quality air filter into the air box for performance. For noise, then you're giving up some of the consistency.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have removed part of the stock intake and added a 4 inch metal pipe to guide the cool air from top of the hood. It sounds very good and I notice engine does rev up faster.

Good job! As long as you are happy with it, that's cool. Thanks for sharing. If anyone else is interested in their car revving up quicker and sounding good, this is something they can try. They may enjoy it as well. Cheaply at that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts