9th Gen Civic Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
If it's hunting, especially while approaching stop signs, you'll need to do the idle relearn procedure.

This is from the 2012 service manual. Step one (omitted) is to reset the ECU with the Honda factory service tool. Just pull the negative terminal off the battery for 10 mins and hook it back up before doing this.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II) and wait 30 seconds.
3. Warm Up The Engine
Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
4. ECM/PCM * Idle Learn
1. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

Last time I had the hunting issue, this fixed it right away.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also, I haven't looked into it in great detail, but the extra holes probably have something to do with a throttle bypass. The Civic TB controls idle air flow with ignition timing and throttle plate angle, but a lot of cars use a screw valve to bypass the throttle plate. If I had to guess, that's probably what those holes are.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've looked through this thread and wish I could be more helpful. My TB was an OEM. I forced it open to clean it, which threw it off. I tried numerous versions of the relearn procedure, but none worked. I took it to Honda and they said just drive it. Eventually I bought another TB with 5k miles on it from a member here. In the three or four days it took for the TB to get here, sure enough, the hunting idle slowly got better until it fixed itself. I still have the other TB.

As far as CIVI9's problem, it's unlikely that two TB's are bad right out of the box like that. If it's not a relearn issue, air's being introduced somewhere. You could just drive it for a few days to see if it relearns on its own, too.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
If it's hunting, especially while approaching stop signs, you'll need to do the idle relearn procedure.

This is from the 2012 service manual. Step one (omitted) is to reset the ECU with the Honda factory service tool. Just pull the negative terminal off the battery for 10 mins and hook it back up before doing this.

2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II) and wait 30 seconds.
3. Warm Up The Engine
Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
4. ECM/PCM * Idle Learn
1. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

Last time I had the hunting issue, this fixed it right away.
Step #4 is what gets me. The throttle is super sensitive with the idle hunting. Any small amount of pedal movement, and the RPM's jump like crazy!

It might be possible to use a laptop and flashpro to increase the idle in real time, to 3000K. And then watch the temp real time and listen for the radiator fan to come on. I can set the idle to whatever number I want, as far as I know.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you change the idle in FP, you'll need to redo the learn procedure after setting it. Every time.

The 3000 RPM in step 4 is just a guideline in order to get the engine up to temperature. You can do this instead and have the same effect.

1) Drive the car around for like 10 mins until it's nice and toasty.
2) Unplug the battery for 10 mins.
3) Do the fancy ignition steps from the above procedure.
4) Leave the car to idle for like 15 mins.

When you get back to it, the procedure will be complete.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Thanks, Bigbadspoon! I have some things to try, for sure!

I PM'd Erkon and through some conversation with him, realized that my PRL TB adapter is a "version 1". It doesn't have a rubber o-ring on the TB side, to seal off the connection. His does.

I called PRL, and spoke with Spencer. He found it interesting that my adapter didn't have the rubber o-ring, and feels that this very well be the problem with my hunting idle.

I'll keep you guys updated. I hope to hear back about it later today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Proper idle relearn is in this thread, towards the end.
I also believe best results were achieved by warming engine up then doing re-learn procedure. Before it cooled down. This is a common Honda issue with relearning when the engine is cold, engine idling high when cold at the beginning "boogers" relearn up.

Maybe Colint can chime in hear?
I cant to to fucking cold in pa but i got it at 1k rpm sitting there at a stop it flucuates alittle goto 500 rpm in neutral or in first gear

41 - 48 of 48 Posts