9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sigh. First world problems.
Here's what you do. Go to a dealership and find a 2012 civic SI in the same color. Trade yours in on it. Debadge it. Wait and see how long it takes before anyone notices. By then it'll be too late to return it. Problem solved.
What mama don't know won't hurt her.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
If your strapped for cash and have a new baby it's probably for your own good you shouldn't be modding, your wife knows best.
Spoil sport. haha

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
Here's another suggestion.

You got the car for free. Sell it. Then buy a similar car with a MT.

One thing that was understood (in my first marriage) was that I was allowed to have a toy or two. And even when I couldn't afford to keep a bike on the road, I had my cars with MTs. She had hers with ATs. Everything was fine.

My second marriage was a different story. She was, and probably still is, a very controlling person (not to mention kinda insane). She insisted I get a car with an AT

'What if I need to drive it?'

'When would that ever be, when I need the car which is why I have it, and if your car is OOS, I can drive you when I'm home.'

This is one of the many reasons why we are not together now.

Not telling you what to do, just relaying my experiences. Maybe you're the type who can live with being told what to do about everything. Bless you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice suggestions!

Yes, I agree this is a "first world problem"

She won't let me sell it and buy the identical version in MT cause we "know the history of this car" blah blah blah.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions and criticism. I know I must come off a bit "spoiled" sounding but I'm the only one working, and my wife's car is a a fully loaded Crosstour. So its just annoying that I can't get something I want. But what can ya do right?

She is a bit of a car girl, so she would def notice a de-badged SI. Imagine I could get away with that though!!! Legen-waitforit-dary!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
I wouldn't say spoiled. More like whipped.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Here's another suggestion.

You got the car for free. Sell it. Then buy a similar car with a MT.

One thing that was understood (in my first marriage) was that I was allowed to have a toy or two. And even when I couldn't afford to keep a bike on the road, I had my cars with MTs. She had hers with ATs. Everything was fine.

My second marriage was a different story. She was, and probably still is, a very controlling person (not to mention kinda insane). She insisted I get a car with an AT

'What if I need to drive it?'

'When would that ever be, when I need the car which is why I have it, and if your car is OOS, I can drive you when I'm home.'

This is one of the many reasons why we are not together now.

Not telling you what to do, just relaying my experiences. Maybe you're the type who can live with being told what to do about everything. Bless you.
Blunt and possibly insensitive, but all truth. The controlling nature will only progress the longer it is allowed.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Nice suggestions!

She won't let me sell it and buy the identical version in MT cause we "know the history of this car" blah blah blah.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions and criticism. I know I must come off a bit "spoiled" sounding but I'm the only one working, and my wife's car is a a fully loaded Crosstour. So its just annoying that I can't get something I want. But what can ya do right?

She is a bit of a car girl, so she would def notice a de-badged SI. Imagine I could get away with that though!!! Legen-waitforit-dary!
Ohhhh, trade the Crosstour in and let her drive the AT. Another avenue, show your displeasure with the AT by continually borrowing hers. She may just get sick of you borrowing it, realize how childish she is being and stop the demands of what you can and can not do. I'm not sure what a fully loaded Crosstour is ($30-$35k), but if she was to compromise and get a less expensive car, then you could also get something more preferable. Marriage is a compromise not a telling of what can and can't be done.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ohhhh, trade the Crosstour in and let her drive the AT. Another avenue, show your displeasure with the AT by continually borrowing hers. She may just get sick of you borrowing it, realize how childish she is being and stop the demands of what you can and can not do. I'm not sure what a fully loaded Crosstour is ($30-$35k), but if she was to compromise and get a less expensive car, then you could also get something more preferable. Marriage is a compromise not a telling of what can and can't be done.
Yea, if she wants fully loaded and you, MT. = Si would be your only option, easy choice! HAHA

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that she won't let him touch her car?

You've got quite a balancing act there, OP. Quick question, just in case I missed it. Who makes the money?

If it's her, well, you're SOL. If it's both of you almost equally, she still needs to bend a little, afaic. If it's you, then you should have some say, and need to assert, assuming that is even possible, as I don't know because I'm not there. But you already know my feelings on domineering women.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that she won't let him touch her car?

You've got quite a balancing act there, OP. Quick question, just in case I missed it. Who makes the money?

If it's her, well, you're SOL. If it's both of you almost equally, she still needs to bend a little, afaic. If it's you, then you should have some say, and need to assert, assuming that is even possible, as I don't know because I'm not there. But you already know my feelings on domineering women.
I believe he stated he is the only one working. Why would she even need a car of that caliber? I say trade both in and get two Civics. Still a quality car for her, but much less expensive. A win win!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
I believe he stated he is the only one working. Why would she even need a car of that caliber? I say trade both in and get two Civics. Still a quality car for her, but much less expensive. A win win!
Yeah, I read through the thread quickly because I thought I had seen something to that effect, but I couldn't find it.

I think we agree that there are various things that can be done, but I also think none of it is gonna happen.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
Blunt and possibly insensitive, but all truth. The controlling nature will only progress the longer it is allowed.
Blunt, yes. Insensitive? I thought I was being rather restrained. ;)

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Hello Forum,

Civic Guy here,

I've owned lots of civics in the past and always enjoyed modding them and making them my own. I hate driving auto, and love higher model cars with more features... (SI - EX)

My car just died. An 01 Accord Coupe 4cyl 5spd. I have rims, tint, intake, exhaust, deck etc...:sadwavey:

I've spent a small fortune on cars in my driving history, and my wife has finally decided to pull the plug. With no money for a new car, I'm basically accepting a hand-me-down (for very very very cheap) 2012 Civic LX Sedan Auto White.

Tell me I'm not crazy when I say that I'm kinda depressed. Sure its 3 years old and only has 60,000 kms on it but its Auto and is bone stock (Mothers car, she is buying a new one).

My wife has told me I am not "allowed" to do anything to it. Just drive it from point A to B until it dies!

Basically I'm stuck driving a basic auto 4dr that will inevitably last me a decade+ and I can't even make it my own!

FML!:mad:

Anyone got some silver linings?

PS, don't get me wrong. I LOVE civics... They just have to be 3-pedal and tunable. I may as well be driving a minivan!

Civic Guy
To be tactful, it sounds like you're a very spoiled person at least. You have a cheap, cheap, cheap car (your words) when some people can't afford what you have at any price. Your mother did you a favor and you don't appreciate it. I have the same car you have that I bought new and chose to keep it stock because there is no point in dumping mod money into an economy car. If you want something different, go earn the money and get it. That isn't what you wanted to hear but there's something to be said for counting your blessings. Sounds like one of them is a wife with a good head on her shoulders.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,080 Posts
Now there's^ an interesting take on the situation.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Nice suggestions!

I think you forgot to put your pants on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wow, nice video lol. Very funny!
I know its still a nice car, just not what I want. And ya, won't be selling her car. (nice tough love RC)
I do like the civic, and would actually potentially buy it brand new myself. Just with a Stick and the ability to make it the way I want it. Like wheels I like, a stance I like and tint! Nothing else is really that important to me.
But the bluetooth and aux audio inputs are awesome. I usually have to put in aftermarket radio's to get that!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You can make a stock base Civic look good without going crazy. Si spoiler (eBay generic available), take-off Si wheels or affordable aftermarket ones, lowered suspension, tinted windows. Will look as good as most Si's. Now as far as the automatic, well, that's great for commuting. Suck it up butter cup :p

21 - 40 of 94 Posts