9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do a 40ish-0 brake/ABS test on the way home today (made sure no one was around of course) just to familiarize myself w/ the system. The car did a lot better than I expected. Brake Assist and ABS kicked in right away, and I had no control issues at all. It is still on the stock all season ContiPro Contact tires in case you were wondering.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
976 Posts
Its actually recommended to test ABS system every once and a while, when it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah haha. I just wanted to know what to expect before hand instead of figuring it out when someone actually pulls in front of me. I like to know the limits of my car

·
Registered
289 Posts
Today tried to make a traffic light, but it changed so I stomped on the brakes 48-0. I was impressed the weight transfer was minimal, so it didn't do a nose dive, the whole car sort of squatted on all four sides.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I have done it just to see the cars behavior.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have to study for this test lol

Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee
FB2 squad #17

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The only study required is a good look in your rear view mirror before you take the test.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Decided to do a 40ish-0 brake/ABS test on the way home today (made sure no one was around of course) just to familiarize myself w/ the system. The car did a lot better than I expected. Brake Assist and ABS kicked in right away, and I had no control issues at all. It is still on the stock all season ContiPro Contact tires in case you were wondering.

one time i used my brake pretty hard to stop on yellow light, the brakes felt like its shaking and vibrating very strong is it normal for an abs?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup! Sounds like it. The pedal vibrates and you can really hear the system working, and if brake assist kicks in the pedal travels a lot more than usual.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Its actually recommended to test ABS system every once and a while, when it is safe to do so.
Just another quick note for all you DIYers out there who like to change their own brake fluid: it's also recommended to do a couple of ABS stops (when safe, of course) before you change your brake fluid. This actually circulates the old brake fluid that's otherwise just sitting in the lines around the ABS pump into the lines that will be drained/refilled. If you just change your brake fluid without doing this, the fluid in those lines won't be flushed and just gets older and older between subsequent changes.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,158 Posts
I've tested my ABS on every new car I've ever gotten. I like to see how it works, and what it's limits and thresh holds are, including the tires.

It's been said here already, but, if you're gonna do this, do it with plenty of room, as in way more than you think you'll need, on all sides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts