9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having these codes for a while now, they come off and turn on while driving. Recently changed my battery and alternator if it was a power problem and still didn’t solve anything. I have no idea what’s going on now, Any help?
AAA17911-6252-4BCA-B036-9402711E2186.jpeg

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you could pull the exact codes that may help narrow it down. It could be a number of things causing this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
common on the hondas when a battery is changed.
clear the codes with a scanner and youll be fine.

shorting pin 4 and 9 on the obdii connector will also clear it.
there is a procedure.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,984 Posts
Throwing parts at a car (battery, alternator in this case) hoping to fix a problem is never the best solution. If your unable to properly diagnose the problem take it to a professional who can and usually that will end up being less costly in the long run. Also if you replaced the alternator make sure to use OEM as these cars don't like playing with aftermarket alternators so this could potentially create additional issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2013 Civic. First, I would not jump any of the pins within the OBD II link unless you have OFFICIAL documentation from Honda that says this is acceptable.

Second, I would perform a HARD reset on the entire computer system and ALL of the electronics in the car including the VSA/ABS system. Simply disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it does not do a HARD reset. Watch this video:
You will know if your HARD reset was successful if your clock resets, as shown in this video, after you reconnect the battery. If you have GPS on your civic, you will see the clock slowly and automatically set itself to the correct time.

Third, If the problem is still there after doing a HARD reset, then you should drive the car, on three seperate occasions, for about 15 minutes during each occasion. The computer system needs to see that the problem is no longer present, for a certain length of driving time, over three or four separate driving sessions before it stops warning the driver of the problem. This was not explained in the video above. If the HARD reset solves your problem, it may take a few driving sessions, as described above, for the warning to go away. The VSA/ABS is a SAFETY system, so, warnings do not go away instantly when the problem is solved. The computer needs to see that the problem no longer exists, over a certain length of time, by driving the car as described above.

·
Registered
116 Posts
unless you have OFFICIAL documentation
Service Check Signal Circuit is the official terminology.
everything is fused, if one was foolish enough to short the wrong pins.

also have a Honda specific scanner, and it has the menu option to short pin 4 and 9 for service check signal.

The battery reset is a safe DIY, if it works.

as the video shows, always disconnect the negative terminal FIRST and reconnect the negative terminal LAST to prevent arcing that can blow fuses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been having these codes for a while now, they come off and turn on while driving. Recently changed my battery and alternator if it was a power problem and still didn’t solve anything. I have no idea what’s going on now, Any help? View attachment 494082 View attachment 494082
I had the same issue with mine and it was one of the wheel sensors. You need an obd2 reader to see exactly what your issue is. In my case it was an easy fix and ordered an oem wheel sensor, simple plug and play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After you do your HARD reset, drive it for a while, and if the warning still comes up, then check the ABS fuse within the fuse block. Here is the video on how to check it:

If doing the hard reset and if the fuse is good, and, you still are still getting the warning, then you need to get a OBD II scan tool. You cannot just get ANY OBD II scan tool, you need a scan tool that can access and read the ABS/VSA system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts