9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,915 Posts
Just very curious what exactly is causing this. Certainly not all small engine cars are like this (I imagine)
I believe sneako explained it above.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think it was just $80, but this was before refrigerant prices went way, way up this year (as in more than doubled). I'd guess it would now cost me easily over $100 with current prices.

Local tech with a late model Robinair Recovery / Vac / Charge machine (not a Honda dealer). He's taken care of at least four of our vehicles in the last couple years.

OF
it was just a drain and fill right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Recover, pull vacuum to make sure system was tight, add approx. 1 ounce of PAG-46 oil, recharge to correct mass.

The Robinair machine my local tech uses has a digital database of recommended oil replenishment and exact refrigerant mass by year-make-model, along with a digital scale under the refrigerant jug. It even accounts for "hold up volume" in the refrigerant hose to the vehicle service port.

I can't remember if I changed the valve cores on this one. I really need to document this stuff.

Edit: Once refrigerant prices get too onerous, I'm going to just start doing this myself. I'll just bring a vehicle to my tech and have him recover the refrigerant (some techs are now doing this for free, since they get paid to turn in their recovery cylinders filled with pricey refrigerant), bring it home, change cores, pull vacuum, charge by mass. I have CPS and Yellow Jacket gear (vac pump, manifold, hoses with ball valves, vacrometer, refrigerant scale) and about 140 lbs. of R-134a (bought it before prices started to rise in late 2020)

OF

21 - 23 of 23 Posts