9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i bought a 9gen honda civic (62k Km, 2012, 1.8 iVtec) hatchback 1 week ago and couldnt be more happy with the car, but there is one thing thats bothering me, sometimes when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and press the gas pedal moderatly the car accelerates with hesitations, its like the acceleration is not smooth, it accelerates a bit then accelerates slower for half a second then normal then again slower, this doesnt happen all the time and as far as i can tell the rpm increases smoothly even when the car is doing this. Also its only doing this on low rpms (1.5k - 2.8k) if i go full throttle then there is never any jerkiness. I dont think its the clutch sliping since i can try to accelerate in the same way in 5th gear on low rpms and i can feel the engine lugging but its not jerky. The car has 62k km and i dont think it ever had the spark plugs replace so im thinking that, what else could it be ?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 LX Coupe 5-speed manual
6 Posts
I'm having the same issue. The engine sometimes stutters/bucks/jerks with moderate acceleration in 3rd gear. Interested in replies since my car only has 26k miles. (Purchased used at 25k miles)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i bought a 9gen honda civic (62k Km, 2012, 1.8 iVtec) hatchback 1 week ago and couldnt be more happy with the car, but there is one thing thats bothering me, sometimes when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and press the gas pedal moderatly the car accelerates with hesitations, its like the acceleration is not smooth, it accelerates a bit then accelerates slower for half a second then normal then again slower, this doesnt happen all the time and as far as i can tell the rpm increases smoothly even when the car is doing this. Also its only doing this on low rpms (1.5k - 2.8k) if i go full throttle then there is never any jerkiness. I dont think its the clutch sliping since i can try to accelerate in the same way in 5th gear on low rpms and i can feel the engine lugging but its not jerky. The car has 62k km and i dont think it ever had the spark plugs replace so im thinking that, what else could it be ?
Thank you.
Check your spark plugs

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
Check the air filter while you're at it. A dirty filter will make a car run like crap.

·
Registered
2015 LX Coupe 5-speed manual
6 Posts
The spark plugs are brand new. I cleaned the air filter and re-oiled less than 1000 miles ago (it's a k&n filter)

Do the reusable filters not work well in these cars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, so i started with the easy ones and just cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors, and ... thats it, no more problems, acceleration is always super smooth now, the maf sensor wasnt dirty at all so i didnt think it will help, but something did )

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. The engine sometimes stutters/bucks/jerks with moderate acceleration in 3rd gear. Interested in replies since my car only has 26k miles. (Purchased used at 25k miles)
Try this.. I battled with mine for ages. Then I thought to unplug the EGR to rule that out. Sorted !!!
Hesitation/jerky gone.
Management light came on obviously, but it at least proved that the EGR was at fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have any update regarding this topic? what was the solution at the end?

I have a Civic EX 2013 with 114k miles and it hesitates when accelerating. It makes a sound like if the air flow is not enough for the combustion when pressing the gas pedal all the way down

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts