9th Gen Civic Forum banner

i-MID Gas Screen

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fuel economy setup

What's the best way to set up for finding out what your fuel economy is; do you do it by trip, a whole tank of gas, several days of driving- etc? And how do you set it up? I have the 2012 sedan EX-L w/nav
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been using the A/B trip meters in tandem. I'll reset A on a tank while leaving B still running from the last tank. That way A is a 1-tank average and B is a 2-tank average. Then when I fill up, I'll reset B and leave A, perpetually giving me both a 1-tank and 2-tank average.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Use fuelly.com

You input information after each fill up and it will give you what mpg you got and your avg total. Real easy to use. Saves a log too which is nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2012 Civic LX.

So I filled it up this morning, a total of 11.4 gallon (I pushed it to 11.6 though). The car had 375 miles on her. The initial mileage was 9 miles. So the actual gas mileage is (375-9)/11.4 = 32.1 mpg. However the fuel economy gauge reads 34 mpg. There are about 2 mpg discrepancy here. I am not going to lose sleep on that, but what's your experience of the accuracy of the gauge?

Also, how good/bad is the 32.1 mpg for the very first tank of gas? I live in Boston metro area, my morning commute is all local with very few lights but lots of stop and go because of the left turns, evening commute is 80% high way usually with mild to heavy traffic.

·
Registered
896 Posts
32 for Boston area seems pretty good to me and I used to live in MA so I have experience. lol Stop and go is what kills mpg's on the Civic. If I'm in a lot of stop and go 32-34 is what I get.
You can use a site like fuelly.com to keep track of everything.
Some report the i-mid to be pretty much dead on while others have a 1-3 mpg difference. My first few tanks were off by a good 3, but after a few tanks it evened out and now its not even off by 1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info, yeah I hate it but I have to deal with 128 on the daily basis, too bad.

32 for Boston area seems pretty good to me and I used to live in MA so I have experience. lol Stop and go is what kills mpg's on the Civic. If I'm in a lot of stop and go 32-34 is what I get.
You can use a site like fuelly.com to keep track of everything.
Some report the i-mid to be pretty much dead on while others have a 1-3 mpg difference. My first few tanks were off by a good 3, but after a few tanks it evened out and now its not even off by 1.

·
Registered
196 Posts
32mpg is good for stop and go traffic. Efficiency only increases as the engine goes through break-in. I would love to know how the gauge measures fuel consumption. But remember that the difference between 32 and 34 mpg is only about 6% which is easily explained by discrepancies in tire size, metering errors or other factors. There are also errors in gas pump meters, speedometer errors and gas tank sensors. So the best policy is to take many readings at the pump, fill only until the pump clicks off and average the readings from as many trips as possible.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
sounds pretty close to me... and like they said it will get closer after a few tanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only thing i dont really like is that the computer prorates your tank's mileage based on THIS VERY SECOND's fuel mileage and not past trends and averages. For example i leave the gas station in my Si and it says i have 590km range, then i floor it and book it to 100km and i check and now i have a 475km range. If i drive normally then it's between 530-550km usually, but i dont regard the trip computer as the end all, be all of mileage info.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have gone through four tanks of fuel and have "done the math" on all of the tanks. The results are within .5 of a MPG of what the car is telling me. I was surprised it was so accurate. But I do wish I could say I was over 30 MPG. I average about 27. (manual transmission in EX coupe)

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
I have gone through four tanks of fuel and have "done the math" on all of the tanks. The results are within .5 of a MPG of what the car is telling me. I was surprised it was so accurate. But I do wish I could say I was over 30 MPG. I average about 27. (manual transmission in EX coupe)

what kind of driving you doing? i average usually 30 to 31 on every tank in my Si...

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
it seems like awfully high numbers....i would get that checked out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is fairly accurate...within .5 to 1 mpg over the course of a full tank and the actual is actually higher, so the computer is conservative in my experience. I have also noticed that when the engine is cold and in open loop, the computer calculated mpg is much lower then when compared to the same drive when it's hot and in closed loop.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
My tanks still calculate out to be 2 mpg less than the iMid display after 3,000 miles here. Very consistent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
27 MPG is all city driving. Haven't had a chance to take her out on the road. And I certainly don't try to keep the "green" lights on the dash. I love DRIVING my car. :dancingcoolsmiley:

1 - 20 of 232 Posts