9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So after having my SI coupe for a little while now I think I'm going to want to add a little more punch to the bass of the system. My current plan is to add a Kenwood KAC-8105D amp with a Polk Audio MM1240 12" sub in a ported enclosure. What I want to do is simply add this amp/sub combo in addition to the speakers/amps already in the system (don't want to add a head unit to try to keep the iMid/BT/steering wheel functionality, and want to keep the current amp installed to run the speakers). I just wanted to know if a) this is sound fundamentally and b) if this specific set up would work (the amp has a speaker level input, which I gather is useful in doing this).

Also, I'm curious if I should disconnect the current sub in place in doing this, or just run them both. I like the prospect of running them both and using the 12" for lower frequencies only, but don't know if this would just be too overpowering.

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am in the process of upgrading all my speakers including the factory sub and amp. I chose a 5 channel amp with speaker level inputs, as I am keeping the stock HU

It seems like your approach will work well and should be a bit easier then what I'm doing. I'm going for quality over quantity really.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Up to you if you want to unplug the factory sub. I would leave it if it were me, but in all honesty Honda's sub they use is completely useless IMO. I can't believe what little it puts out. I guess it doesn't help I install for a living and am around loud cars all day, but I'm not a picky person by any means and was completely disappointed with my Si's factory system. I'm excited to get some time soon to redo it all. Anyways!... If you have high level inputs on the amp thats awesome, just tap in to the factory sub in the trunk, super duper easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts