9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Edit: so I correct myself, I'm referring to ignition timing, not cam timing)
Hey everyone,

So yesterday I decided to have my car dyno tuned at a shop near me (registered shop with hondata). In doing so, the tuner made a number of runs with my Si (stock 2015). In a few of the runs, I noticed that in the high rpm range, about 6k-7k, that my engine made this audible chattering, or loud and rapid clicking noise. As it did this, I noticed the exhaust had thicker smoke coming out of it. When I asked the tuner about it, he said that my car wasn't responding well to timing adjustments. He had been experimenting how my engine responded to more aggressive timing adjustments (like set at 23-24). So in all, he set my timing back to 20 as he said, which is still up 1 from the stock setting of 19. (Edit: in case it's asked, I always put 93 gas in)

With this, I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the noise was that my engine was making. Has anyone had an experience like this? As much as I enjoy power gains and a more invigorating drive, I don't want to cause anything wrong with my engine. I apologize if this was covered in a related thread, but I could not find one. And thank you ahead of time to anyone who kindly responds :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also guess it's "Spark knock" or "pinging" or predetonation, or knock...

Yeah, you don't want that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If it helps, when my car was tuned, my tuner said my engine better responded to AFR changes rather then ignition timing changes..

Marko!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your insights. After this, and after further research, I believe that it was engine knock/pinging. I've run a couple data logs since then, and the car seems fine now throughout the RPM band.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts