9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Advice from 9th crew

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  amalmer71 
#1 ·
13 DBP SI Sedan
thinking about JL Audio 12W3v3 2 ohm or 12w3v3 4 ohm powered with JL xd1000/1v2 in custom sealed enclosure at spec.
My questions:
which sub 2 or 4 ohm?
is the xd1000 enough power?
I want it LOUD of course.
Will it bang?

#2 ·
My questions:
which sub 2 or 4 ohm?
If you're only running one you'll need the 4 ohm. The amplifier is rated to put out 600 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Using the 2 ohm woofer will put the amplifier output at 1,000 watts RMS which is way more than the 500 watts RMS the sub is rated to handle. That's not always a bad thing, but in my experience (seeing other peoples' screw-ups) it's usually best to keep the RMS ratings of the amplifier(s) and the sub(s) relatively close. Plus you can always add another sub later on, wire it in parallel for a 2 ohm load and get 1,000 watts RMS from the amplifier.

is the xd1000 enough power?
For that sub, yes.

I want it LOUD of course.
Will it bang?
As long as the enclosure meets the recommended specs for the sub, matches the acoustics of the car well, and is positioned properly to get the best alignment to the driver's seat/front of the car, it will "bang".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.