9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know that there was already a thread on this... but I just wanted my own personal answers...
I don't know if I'm violating any rules, but here it goes.

I've recently purchased this intake... and I've installed it correctly myself and with the company of couple friends...
The first night I ran the SI with the intake it was awesome. I loved it.

However the next morning when I started the car to warm it up, my car threw me a CEL...
I pulled up the code.. and it said that I was running too lean.

Are there any suggestions? on what I can do.. I've contacted Takeda and they told me that their people will work on it, and give me a reply.
It's been about 3 days and still no word... I'm just scared that I might do some damage on my car running "too lean"

I'm evening thinking about returning it and maybe just get a N1 exhaust instead of it... but I've heard that the 2012 Si's just throw the CEL
pretty often with intakes and exhausts...

Yeah... but getting back on track... I've had this CEL on for about 2 weeks now.. and I can't find a solution.. except to get a flashpro..
which I don't really want to spend the money on right now...

Please help me with some answers!
Thank you

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the same exhaust.. pull the filter out and block the oval hole in the back of the housing.. whatever u can use to block air from being sucked in like its a short ram intake.. that should take care of it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
865 Posts
Once you have done that.. don't start the car until after disconnecting the sensor on the intake and then disconnecting the battery.. with battery disconnected, pump brakes a few times (to drain remaining power) hook battery back up.. plug in sensor.. start car and let it idle for about 10 minutes.. then u should be good to go

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once you have done that.. don't start the car until after disconnecting the sensor on the intake and then disconnecting the battery.. with battery disconnected, pump brakes a few times (to drain remaining power) hook battery back up.. plug in sensor.. start car and let it idle for about 10 minutes.. then u should be good to go

dang ok.. i'll give it try today! hopefully it works... Thank you so much i'll be asking more questions.. after i try it...

what did you use to block the oval??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

also if i do block it with w.e, will it block some sound? or the little gains it gets? or will it void the whole purpose of the intake itself? at all?

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
The computer should richen that mixture right up to compensate for more air. But you were CEL a week and a half ago.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The computer should richen that mixture right up to compensate for more air. But you were CEL a week and a half ago.
yeah bro... so many people told me the ecu should just learn it if I keep driving it...
maybe my ecu isnt as smart as all the other 9th's haha :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
No.. I suggest u do what I did with mine... I did a resonator delete... then took the snorkel portion and put it out the back hole of the takeda and ran it down under the car... then I sealed around the snorkel from the inside of the takeda.. I have been running around 10-15 degrees above ambient which is extremely good temperature for intake... and I still have awesome sound.. have driven in heavy rain and extremely wet roads, pulled the filter right after and it was completely dry.. its a great diy mod

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also... Does anyone know why my vacuum piping's hole is so tiny on the aluminum pipe?
It almost seems like someone drilled a pre hole with a smaller bit drill to make it bigger, but didnt finish the job... I was wondering if I had to make it bigger or not..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also... Does anyone know why my vacuum piping's hole is so tiny on the aluminum pipe?
It almost seems like someone drilled a pre hole with a smaller bit drill to make it bigger, but didnt finish the job... I was wondering if I had to make it bigger or not..
I noticed the ame thing in mine. While I'm sure it doesn't affect function, it still bugs me and I'll drill it out before I send it for powder coat. Also the MAF mount is done the same way...a pilot hole the the mount weld over it. Kinda cheap f you ask me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok sooo... i tried the thing that bjizzle told me to do... block off the oval shaped hole.... and i lost SO MUCH power... :( my sound decreased by more than half!!!
I pretty blocked the whole thing off so that I have absolutely no air coming out of it...
are there any other solutions? to this??

the good thing is my CEL finally turned off!
but after blocking the oval shaped hole the intake is pretty much stock.. just a tiny bit louder...
i think i'll be better off stock... *I'm so sad :'(*

I really don't want to resort to deleting the resonator and messing with the snorkel... I think I'll be better off with a new intake if I have to do that... :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why would you buy an intake for better airflow then block the air?:what::what:

K24Z7 Crew Member #45.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't understand why most people have a code when they install this intake, I installed mine, started my car, let it sit for around 5 minutes and went driving, no codes no problems. But I'm kinda iffy on this intake anyway, kinda wish I bought a different one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Because its throwing a code due to running too lean... which means more air than fuel.. ;) This intake is amazing with the resonator delete.. and quite honestly I think its better than the cold air intakes that go to the fender because of how much curvature is involved with the cold air intakes to get to the fender.. that's just my two cents after having it on my 2012 and now on my 2013 with rbc setup

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just an added extra fyi.. with the momentum intake, rbc setup, larger throttle body, larger injectors and catless downpipe I got 230whp and 198tq at WOT.. don't think that would be possible if it wasn't a good intake... compare thw numbers to other guys with comparable setups.. my car seems to have the higher numbers ;) DO THE RESONATOR DELETE... if u don't like it you can always put it back on.. its that easy

1 - 20 of 73 Posts