9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just bought a 2012 ex and am completely dissatisfied with the sound. Is It possible to add a system (subs, speakers, and amps) with out changing the head unit or losing wheel control functionality? I was considering using a clean sweep. any advice or links is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
116 Posts
I Just bought a 2012 ex and am completely dissatisfied with the sound. Is It possible to add a system (subs, speakers, and amps) with out changing the head unit or losing wheel control functionality? I was considering using a clean sweep. any advice or links is greatly appreciated
I agree. I hadn't heard much good about the clean sweep and I'm a big JL Audio fan. I do have experience with the LCQ-1 that Audio control makes and I loved that box. You can find it on crutchfield or maybe there might be one on ebay (I just sold mine there) It'll cost you about the same as you were going to pay for the Clean Sweep and will improve your sound exponentially. At the end of the day, I still wasn't completely satisfied so I got a different navi for the head unit and lost a bunch of functionality from my navi (although the sound made it worth it for me) Happy to talk speakers with you as well if you'd like.

OEM Integration

Reactions: abailey21

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Ypu wont need any changes at all to do speakers, but will.need a converter to run an amp and sub, and if you retain the stock head unit, you will retain all wheel controls

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone found a good set of speakers and amp/sub to go with the stock head unit that have produced good results in regards to the quality of sound? :( I really, really don't want to give up iMid functionality and the USB plug :\

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I put Polk audio speakers in my doors and rear deck, I have the si and I'm real happy with them. The factory amp seems like its fine, I may add a sub and 5 channel amp soon. My factory head unit is fine, I just have a quality garmin gps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put Polk audio speakers in my doors and rear deck, I have the si and I'm real happy with them. The factory amp seems like its fine, I may add a sub and 5 channel amp soon. My factory head unit is fine, I just have a quality garmin gps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Did the Polk front and rear speakers make an immediately noticeable difference? and if so, in what way? :) --did you switch out the tweeters at all?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
They were an instant difference,I will say it does have a little too many highs in front but I adjusted the trebel down and they sound great now.The system can take more volume and there is more presence.Clearer and precise sound.Worth every penny.The sub will be the tie-in.And I still have all the imid stuff!

Reactions: Trinatek

·
Registered
597 Posts
To me the stock (internal amp version) is not worth amping it at all...Even with OEM integration unit, it doesn't sound "good"...

Seriously, amping the "Premium" unit without the outboard amp (no LOC nor OEM integration unit is involved) is day and night compared to the internal amp unit...

Reactions: emsguy4you

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Bump..... Curious as to what others (especially LX's) have done while keeping their stock HU.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't decided what I'm doing with my LX yet. I agree that I'd like to retain the stock HU so I'll be looking into that LCQ-1 posted above. I had very good luck with Boston Acoustics in my last car and I'd like to find something similar for my current LX...crutchfield doesn't seem carry many option for our cars from BA though

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't decided what I'm doing with my LX yet. I agree that I'd like to retain the stock HU so I'll be looking into that LCQ-1 posted above. I had very good luck with Boston Acoustics in my last car and I'd like to find something similar for my current LX...crutchfield doesn't seem carry many option for our cars from BA though
Just want to make sure we aren't overselling the LCQ-1. Do you have amps, a sub with components? LCQ-1 is awesome but overkill if you don't have the rest of it to connect to. It comes down to what do you have, what do you want and how much are you willing to invest? Be happy to bs with you about possibilities if you're interested...

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Pmd you

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only have a small 125W amp to push a single 10" sub.

I'm think the LCQ-1 is going to be overkill...(I was looking it up after my post)

What other "smaller" options are there to get a set of RCA's and a remote line wired to the stock HU?

I ask because I've only ever used aftermarket stereo's. But I'd really like to maintain the stock HU if possible.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts

I'm think the LCQ-1 is going to be overkill...(I was looking it up after my post)

What other "smaller" options are there to get a set of RCA's and a remote line wired to the stock HU?

I ask because I've only ever used aftermarket stereo's. But I'd really like to maintain the stock HU if possible.
Tons of options pm me I have many options if your interested.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts

Are you aiming for just Adding bass?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
For now yes, I already own my amp and sub.

I'll add deck and door speakers in the future, i'm just needing more low ;)
I recommend the PIE eis loc-t everything you need and requested and its very good reliable brand.very simple and straight forward if you need help or have ?s pm me on it I use it a lot

1 - 20 of 29 Posts