9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 civic si w/ navi and I am going to upgrade some of the audio in the car. Before I started buying things, I wanted to get an idea of everything that I needed. I want to keep my stock navigation head unit because I don't want to loose any of the controls it comes with (steering wheel, imid, and usb) and I don't want to use a LOC. I know this head unit has differential balanced outputs for the front, rear, and subwoofer. I was wondering if any one could give me some insight or has some experience working with factory head units with differential balanced outputs and what they did.

My question is will I be able to take the outputs directly from my head unit to an external amplifier or will I have to use a DSP unit. If I can avoid purchasing a DSP unit that would be great, but I know some factory head units use DSP on their signals to lower bass etc. at certain volumes/frequencies and I was not sure if this is the case on my headunit. If the answer is yes, could you recommend me some good DSP units that accept differential balanced inputs. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You can use the output directly behind the radio to an amp. You can also use DSP but you need to be careful when doing time alignment.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I threw in an Alpine KTP445U. Easy as hell install, factory look, triple the power. Sounds amazing!

Further, it fits behind the dash and requires no power wires run.

45RMSx4. Clean, Alpine wattage.

Barely $200 on Amazon. Read the reviews.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
I threw in an Alpine KTP445U. Easy as hell install, factory look, triple the power. Sounds amazing!

On the stock speakers?

Sent from my fingertips via magic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can use the output directly behind the radio to an amp. You can also use DSP but you need to be careful when doing time alignment.
Thanks for the quick reply, i've been a little busy the last couple of days so thats why it took a little to reply back. So the factory navigation unit doesn't do any extra dsp like some others might do? I didn't want to install everything and then figure out the sound isn't what i was looking for and I have to add a dsp which some don't accept differential balanced inputs. I was planning on either cutting the signal wires needed before the stock amp and then run them back to the trunk or if there is an easy way to take the navigation unit out i'll switch the wires on the harness and run those to the trunk.

Thanks for the suggestion i'll take a look into it, but i might need more wattage than that

·
Registered
597 Posts
Do it behind the radio and you will be fine. All processing, crossover, and EQ are done at the stock amp.

If you add DSP with time alignment unit, especially with those taking onlh 2ch, do the input using rear channel then connect a small amp and speaker for the front. That would take out bluetooth echo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK guys I'm sure you guys are mentioned in the past but just be very clear before I start this project I have a 2013 civic SI with navigation and I plan on installing a aftermarket Alpine amp like the one listed Above, 445u ^.. I already installed an amplifier on RCA connectors and disconnected the premium sub & using my sub woofer.. I would like to have the Alpine amp to my newly installed JBL front and rear speakers because the factory amp is terrible and not giving me the sound I want. So what is the easy way of doing this ?? Install / splice pre factory amp? Post factory amp? Or Cut the speaker wires directly behind the navigation and tie that into the alpine amp? One other thing should I continue using my factory amp to run my tweeters? Thank you guys a bunch ... I have no clue what dsp time alinmgent .? Is it necessary
Eddie-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, i've been a little busy the last couple of days so thats why it took a little to reply back. So the factory navigation unit doesn't do any extra dsp like some others might do? I didn't want to install everything and then figure out the sound isn't what i was looking for and I have to add a dsp which some don't accept differential balanced inputs. I was planning on either cutting the signal wires needed before the stock amp and then run them back to the trunk or if there is an easy way to take the navigation unit out i'll switch the wires on the harness and run those to the trunk.

Thanks for the suggestion i'll take a look into it, but i might need more wattage than that
You don't have to cut any wires or even access the back of the HU, also if you are looking for a DSP to do a balanced conversion so you can use Alpine amps save your money and get an amp with balanced inputs. Good audio is achieved by less not more processing and conversions.

I have posted lots of info on why it is bad to try to splice RCAs onto the factory wires so I won't repeat it here, just don't do it.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts