9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was told by a friend that I wouldn’t be able to register my car or pass smog if I have a aftermarket steering wheel. I was wondering if its true.

I’m also wondering if anyone replaced their steering wheel with a new one. I’m looking into doing it as I’m going to school in a very sketchy area. Many cars were stolen there and I’m trying to have some more security. I heard stories of people deactivating their whole entire airbag system. I understand the cons of having no airbags, but I don’t want anything to happen to my car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Depends on your area. Steering wheel for us in VA is inspection. Some places don't care, some places do (talking about shops in VA). Just depends. But, TECHNICALLY, we can't even modify cars in VA unless it's with OEM parts. But ppl pass inspection all the time.

Check your local laws and find a "friendly" inspection shop.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hello, I was told by a friend that I wouldn’t be able to register my car or pass smog if I have a aftermarket steering wheel. I was wondering if its true.

I’m also wondering if anyone replaced their steering wheel with a new one. I’m looking into doing it as I’m going to school in a very sketchy area. Many cars were stolen there and I’m trying to have some more security. I heard stories of people deactivating their whole entire airbag system. I understand the cons of having no airbags, but I don’t want anything to happen to my car.
I had a ex once that had a key to my new truck. It was a disaster, but I wired up a keyed switch in line with the ignition, and hid it. This was on a 05', so I'm sure things have changed some. Search Allen Bradley keyed switch.
Race cars often use external battery kill switches, and that's what I would do if the above didn't work. Maybe in addition to if it did work, depending on how worried you are. Most thieves are looking for a quick steal, slowing them down helps.
If it's a Ex, your kinda screwed for a bit, they play a long game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts