9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 ex w/o navigation. anybody have an suggestions for installing amp/sub combo into stock stereo system? before i had aftermarket head unit connected to it but wanting to keep the stock system to keep the steering wheel controls and connections. I know one way is to splice into rear speakers but I'd prefer not to do that. Anybody have any other suggestions to get my car boomin?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Use a Line Output Converter (LOC) tapped from the rear speakers to get a stronger signal to feed an amplifier.

As for booming on the cheap (but not cheaply sounding), check out the Alpine Type R subs in a ported enclosure, ...go for a 12". For the price, it's beat is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Welcome to the 9th bro!
wish i could help ya here but i would say stop by your local stereo shop and pick their brains. Are you looking to do this yourself? your going to have to run some monster cable to the battery and a fuse block for the sub/amp and depending if your planning on running a 1 farrad capacitor or not.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
No need for a capacitor if you've got the right amplifier, ...and the right wiring. A cap is nothing more than a bandaid on a gunshot wound. If anything, upgrade the battery with a good Group 34 deep cycle battery. It takes dozens and dozens of caps to equal one good deep cycle battery.

I'm currently running two Diamond Audio amps both with birthsheets rated at about 900 watts each (they were advertised for 600 watts). No need for a cap even before I upgraded the tiny Honda OEM battery with an Optima Yellow Top.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use a Line Output Converter (LOC) tapped from the rear speakers to get a stronger signal to feed an amplifier.

As for booming on the cheap (but not cheaply sounding), check out the Alpine Type R subs in a ported enclosure, ...go for a 12". For the price, it's beat is hard to beat.
I'll look at the LOC. I already have JL Audio PWM112-WJX 12" Powered Subwoofer which bumps crazy loud. Thanks for the advise on the LOC.

Welcome to the 9th bro!
wish i could help ya here but i would say stop by your local stereo shop and pick their brains. Are you looking to do this yourself? your going to have to run some monster cable to the battery and a fuse block for the sub/amp and depending if your planning on running a 1 farrad capacitor or not.....
I'm planning on doing it myself yes. Already have all the cabling i need from when i had it installed in my 2010 thanks though :).

·
Registered
462 Posts
actually i would go with the pair of Kicker Comp VR's for $169! thats a reaelly good price for those.....
I've heard those, ...but sorry to say, two of those don't even compare to one Type R of equal speaker size. They have some serious travel with an Xmax of 20mm. Iirc, the Comp VR's only have an Xmax of about 12 mm, ...that's pretty little by todays standards.

·
Registered
462 Posts
^ It's a whole lot easier than tuning, ...well to me, ...says the former broadcasting engineer. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
well for 160/pair the CVR isnt bad......not my choice but for the price its a good deal. i rather have a JL W6/W7 or Kicker Solobaric

as for the A/V thread, i rec'd this a few days back to the admins and they are working on it as well as a list of other threads to add. Should have some nice additions coming soon!

·
Registered
462 Posts
The 12" Type R can be had for less than $150 and sound just as good as a W6, ...maybe even almost as good as a W7, ...definately cleaner than a Solobaric.

·
Registered
462 Posts
...and yay for an A/V ICE Thread, ...I'll be all over it! As an Electrical Engineer and working for over a decade in the broadcasting spectrum of it, ...it's my forte.

·
Registered
717 Posts
:signlol:

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
This thread makes me realize, I know practically nothing about audio systems. :dizzy:
I'm with you man. But I don't think I'll be upgrading any stero/speakers, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn't the EX come with a stock subwoofer? I've been researching but couldn't find out about the EX radio, if it uses an external amp for the stock sub or is it internal? If it does uses an external amp maybe there's hope that it does have a low level input of some kind..differential or otherwise.To me LOC isn't that great.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I have the EX, and if it has a sub somewhere, then Honda did a FANTASTIC job of hiding it and making the sound blend, just saying

1 - 20 of 67 Posts